Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Buffalo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really don't like 81 80 and 27 as a line. I just think it's a bit of a waste of talent, and not the greatest defensively.

I'd really give Maenalanen an extended audition with 80 and 81. I think he could be the defensive conscience of that line, do a lot of grunt work along the boards offensively, and he has a heavy shot.

That would free up Fly to play with Scheifele. I think Ehlers likes playing his offside offensively, so Perfetti could stay on that line. However, I think you run into the same problem of having a line that can get exposed defensively. Maybe we try to get Barron up there when he returns, and create a soft 3rd scoring line? Wheeler, Perfetti and??? Then you could have Lowry, Appleton and winger de jour to round out the 4th line - making them a true shutdown group.

You could roll those lines fairly equally (game situation dependent).

I also don't care for the top line, too much of the same elements on it.

I'd switch Blake and Fly myself.

I don't think Cole has any issues defensively, he is generally in the right position and manages the puck well which gets it out with control quickly. I think he is a big reason why that line has done well all year from a suppression stand point. What that line needs is someone to push the play the other way as Blake doesn't do that any longer and Cole isn't ready yet to do so consistiently. Mark is generally excellent once he gets control in the ozone but he hasn't driven play through the nz at an elite level in awhile. Putting Ehlers with those two would complete that line. Wheeler can then go be a compliment with two drivers in PLD and Conner.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You can also form power lines if behind in 3rd and chasing the game. I think Ehlers and kfc are also not at their best together to often deferring to the other guy when usually they’d just try to do it themselves which has created some confusion and broken plays.
Yes! I think Ehlers plays his best when he knows he's the man and the guy to take the shot on a line. The transformation for Nik was when he was begged to start shooting the puck as opposed to always looking to pass. When the opponent feels like he has a shot bias they have to play him closer as opposed to covering options. That opens up seams for other players.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I guess this win was a testament to the greatness of Helle.
Additionally to the skill on our team.
Despite being outplayed most of the game we were able to score on way fewer chances then Buffalo.
I love the win and the points but this team looks like a shell of itself in their own end.
So scrambly, so unstructured...
giphy.gif

I will say (since I have been picking on him)
Wheeler looked a little bit better tonight.
If he keeps trending in that direction we can get back to two #1 lines.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I really don't like 81 80 and 27 as a line. I just think it's a bit of a waste of talent, and not the greatest defensively.

I'd really give Maenalanen an extended audition with 80 and 81. I think he could be the defensive conscience of that line, do a lot of grunt work along the boards offensively, and he has a heavy shot.

That would free up Fly to play with Scheifele. I think Ehlers likes playing his offside offensively, so Perfetti could stay on that line. However, I think you run into the same problem of having a line that can get exposed defensively. Maybe we try to get Barron up there when he returns, and create a soft 3rd scoring line? Wheeler, Perfetti and??? Then you could have Lowry, Appleton and winger de jour to round out the 4th line - making them a true shutdown group.

You could roll those lines fairly equally (game situation dependent).

EDIT: I realize I was really lazy with handedness so I might have some of that messed up :P

I guess I'm advocating for what a lot of people have been asking for for a long time - 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line.

To really pull it off I think we need to pick up another top 6 guy but I do believe we have some really nice balance in our forward group now, especially when everyone returns to health

Agree so much, been saying that for a while. Connor nearly scored 50g with Svechnikov on the opposite wing for godsake, we do not need Nik Ehlers there. One of the two of them is going to be the third wheel on any given play and that's just a waste. Let's spread the wealth.

Still think Perfetti Scheif Ehlers would end up being dynamite, but who knows. And yeah, then do you run Wheels on 2nd? As someone else was saying I'm not sure he fits style-wise with Dubois - Connor game. But I'm not sure. I think Wheels is pretty adaptable, and I think that line (C D W) played well last year and was unlucky.

I also don't generally like Perfetti / Wheeler together, even though that line was pretty good for a while..

Yes! I think Ehlers plays his best when he knows he's the man and the guy to take the shot on a line. The transformation for Nik was when he was begged to start shooting the puck as opposed to always looking to pass. When the opponent feels like he has a shot bias they have to play him closer as opposed to covering options. That opens up seams for other players.

This is also a good point. Our best Ehlers has been when he stopped deferring or waiting for perfect plays and just started making things happen constantly. He needs to be the driver, not tucked in trying to fit in with two guys who are already playing their own dominant style.

I think both Scheif and Perfetti are really cerebral types who are very good at playing off of what's happening on the ice and finishing plays. What they're not always as elite at is pushing the play forward (especially Fetts). I think they both benefit from something to react to and Ehlers is - IMO - the best on the team at just making things happen.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree so much, been saying that for a while. Connor nearly scored 50g with Svechnikov on the opposite wing for godsake, we do not need Nik Ehlers there. One of the two of them is going to be the third wheel on any given play and that's just a waste. Let's spread the wealth.

Still think Perfetti Scheif Ehlers would end up being dynamite, but who knows. And yeah, then do you run Wheels on 2nd? As someone else was saying I'm not sure he fits style-wise with Dubois - Connor game. But I'm not sure. I think Wheels is pretty adaptable, and I think that line (C D W) played well last year and was unlucky.

I also don't generally like Perfetti / Wheeler together, even though that line was pretty good for a while..

I agree, both Cole and Blake also like to do the same things in the offensive zone. I'd like to see more complimentary lines. I imagine promises were made to certain players like Ehelers which is probably why you are getting a loaded top line and a loaded top PP unit that also has too many like elements.

Hopefully down the stretch we balance out our top 6 and our two pp units.

Reactions: Jack7222
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad