Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Stars 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That was much more like the Jets’ performance in December. Brosswall played well but it’s not like he had to fantastic or anything, the team defence was miles ahead of where it’s been lately. You could see Dallas getting frustrated.

Stick to the system and see how far you can run it in the playoffs.
And the thing about the system is that it's not any higher energy than playing that frenetic run and gun cheat for offense style. So much wasted energy in that scenario. You just focus your energy on other things, and you're running around a lot less.

Full disclosure: I am as guilty as the next on this.

I think there is a danger in extracting the absolute best stretch of a game or games and thinking now if we could just do that for a full 60 minutes or the rest of the season. In the same fashion I think when we extract the worst stretch and think that is going to last, its fools gold.

I have used the analogy before but it’s like if you are a golfer and you usually get two pars a round, 10 bogies, 4 doubles, and maybe a couple of snowman. Inevitably the narrative comes up “I just need to do what I did on the holes where I had par” as if that is the default skill level and all the other events are an not really representative of the real me? :laugh:

20 teams in the NHL would be amazing if all they did was stitch together 82 games of their best game of the season. They would also be a lottery team if the ran off 82 games of their worst game of the season.

Now compound that by factoring in there is another team on the ice that is usually pretty dam good trying to win and they have their good and bad games too.

When we have a shit period usually it’s because the other team is having a good period not because we randomly went into the tank.

Nobody in the league is consistent, thats not really how sports with two teams and allot of individuals plays out. We just need to keep grinding.

Always fun to be on a winning streak.
That is a really interesting way of looking at things! When I'm playing really well and at the top of my game, I feel like it's my baseline, but actual representative history would suggest it's the peak of my play level.

The truly elite players find a way to make their peak their baseline.

It seems like such a different way of looking at things.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
nah. Flats owes his career to Helle and Bro....
before Helle/ Flats coaching regressed every goalie the Jets had.
Orrrrrr maybe we just had some really shitty goalies?

Pavelec was a nightmare - maybe Flaherty polished that turd as much as he could?

Montoya, Mason, and the laundry list of others were either tweeners or at the end of their careers

Pionk is broken right now. He was awful again last night, a night were we looked fantastic.

Stanley seems to have figured out what his game needs to look like to stick. He was moving pucks quickly and correctly, gets shots on net, played physical and kept it simple.

That third pairing with Samberg was as solid all game.

We effectively have 10 playable Dmen with a press box of Miller, Schmidt, Heinola, Cappo for playoffs

Even crazier considering we lost 2 NHL dmen to waivers this season.
Pionk was much better last night but still MILES away from his A game.

54 64 is turning into a really great pair - sorry Stan haters. I Stan for Stan.

Put Miller with Dillon. Let Pionk work through whatever it is he has going on in practice and the PB

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

Pavelec was a nightmare - maybe Flaherty polished that turd as much as he could?

Montoya, Mason, and the laundry list of others were either tweeners or at the end of their careers
Pavelec regressed HEAVILY under flats. so any polish Flats put on was worse than what he was given to start with.
a bunch of those tweeners got worse under him as well...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pavelec regressed HEAVILY under flats. so any polish Flats put on was worse than what he was given to start with.
wild take.

All those goalies went on to greatness... oh, wait.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Fair - its probably Francilli that has saved everyone's career....
exactly...Helle went out and got his own goalie "consultant" .... so how good is our coach? when the Goalie needs another one?

wild take.

sure...but none got better? and aside from Pavs....the rest were at best backups.and tweeners ..the point is they got worse under Flats not better. the only goalies who did? have thier own consultants

Reactions: WolfHouse

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
It's a shame Brossoit won't be getting his name on the Jennings if the Jets end up with the fewest goals against this season - because he's certainly held up his end of the bargain.
He's played 22 games according to HockeyDB and the Jets have 3 games remaining.......Still a possibility.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Really liked the Jets forecheck last night and it seemed like they were playing better and more connected in the neutral zone as well.

Have to give Stanley his props. He's been looking more solid and it seems like he plays better with a little edge.

I still unfortunately don't have a lot of faith in Pionk for the playoffs. Hopefully he finds his groove.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Pionk was much better last night but still MILES away from his A game.

54 64 is turning into a really great pair - sorry Stan haters. I Stan for Stan.

Put Miller with Dillon. Let Pionk work through whatever it is he has going on in practice and the PB
By much better he was still below average.

He made some nice plays sprinkled throughout but was still coughing pucks up and making bad board passes that wingers had to struggle with.

Its making simple plays like getting pucks out when he has possession and no one on him, that he is struggling with.

When he is playing well, he skates those out, but over the last month he continually bombs passes around the boards that become 50/50 pucks that our wingers have to battle for.

I hope he figures it out over the next 3 games. We cannot have him playing big minutes against the Avs if he does not figure it out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

He made some nice plays sprinkled throughout but was still coughing pucks up and making bad board passes that wingers had to struggle with.

Its making simple plays like getting pucks out when he has possession and no one on him, that he is struggling with.

When he is playing well, he skates those out, but over the last month he continually bombs passes around the boards that become 50/50 pucks that our wingers have to battle for.

I hope he figures it out over the next 3 games. We cannot have him playing big minutes against the Avs if he does not figure it out.
Haha yeah when I say 'much better' I'm comparing it to the worst game I've ever seen him play.

I say this without much jest - I think I could have played at that level in that game.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
It is possible - maybe they'll give him one of the starts and then bring him in to a couple of games. Is that cheating? :)
Having trouble figuring out what constitutes a goalie getting a "game played" designation. Maybe he can just come in for a period or something like that. If it is something like that i would hope the Jets do their damndest to make it happen.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
wild take.

It's hard to argue that Flaherty molded Hellebuyck into a Vezina-caliber goalie when Hellebuyck arrived on the Jets after having spent 5 straight seasons dominating 3 different leagues (NAHL, NCAA, AHL). He's been a good goalie from the get-go, and after a tough 2016-17 season, he went to Adam Francillia over the offseason to help him fix his game.

Before signing with the Jets, Brossoit knew Helle through offseason training with Francillia.

And David Rittich has gone on to greatness (he's .919 in LA this year after getting out from under Flaherty's thumb! :laugh:)

Goalies kind of are who they are. It's very rare for a goalie to go from consistently meh to consistently all-star...but it's relatively common for meh goalies to have a great season or a great small-sample run. Comrie had one good season here. Even Pavelec had a decent season once or twice in his unwarranted career as an NHL starting goalie.

Because goals are so luck driven, you need a lot of data to approximate a goalie's "true" talent (~3000 shots). 20 or so games in a season (~600 shots) is still a pretty small sample when it comes to goalies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Or his cocaine addiction was advancing at a greater pace than his skill training - toss up really

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I think Pionk played better than he is getting credit for, but I have to agree on those clearing attempts. It's such a fine line between a successful breakout and a turnover. I can't count how often those passes up the boards are just a little off course, or bouncing etc. But again, I thought he looked good overall.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I'm not afraid of meeting the Stars in the playoffs, never have been and never will be.
Quite honestly, the team I don't want to play against in the playoffs are the Jets.
We were playing playoff hockey way back in the fall.
Teams better be afraid of meeting us in the playoffs.
Bones has his team playing well and the goalies are the best in the league at their position.
Bring on the Avs!!!
I commend your optimism.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
It's a shame Brossoit won't be getting his name on the Jennings if the Jets end up with the fewest goals against this season - because he's certainly held up his end of the bargain.
What if Helle has a clause in his new contract that, if in the running, the team has to ensure he is the only one to win it.:laugh:

Like how the Rock can’t lose a fight in any movie. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad