Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Stars 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I would love to see an exhibition game where todays players use mid-1980s equipment... then see how well big and boring works...
Oh I agree.....the equipment is half the equation, player size also a factor. That amount of coverage works well with the minimalist technique, but when a big goalie flops around it's disastrous. See 6'7" Fedotov.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I have to say that while I wasn’t happy with Bones pregame lineup decisions the team showed up in a way I probably didn’t see coming.
Very solid effort against an elite team in their building.
Demoting a player or sitting him is not a bad thing … a coach can tell a lot about a player’s character. If he pouts or complains and does not come back stronger that’s a me player you don’t want on your team.
Look how the players respond …. they play better thats a sign of a player who wants to improve and help the team.
Names from 1st to 4th line … you don’t see his game change. Stanley sat out the first 43 of 50 games his game has improve. Perfetti comes back better. Even LB he could easily be a #1 goalie on at least half the teams in the NHL never complains.
It’s called team chemistry they play as a team and those teams are the ones that win.
I have to admit I was really pissed off at the comments yesterday coming from so called Jet fans over a simple lineup change at the end of the season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I did not expect that result tonight. Bravo Jets! Congrats to Croissant for the buttery goodness of a shutout and to the twenty-nine HFJets posters who picked the Jets to win tonight! This, and the New York Rangers game, are how I want to see the Jets play in the playoffs. I give this game five "J.R. Ewing's" out of five...

sddefault.jpg

c6f45782-baa7-11ed-a4b0-0210609a3fe2

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

20121124__20121125_A16_ND25HAGMANp1.jpg

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Avalanche has been posted for your guesses. Only three games remaining to try to win it, so make sure you're in it! I have already made a GDT for the Colorado game and will post it sometime tomorrow night. The game against the Krakenheads is still available, the last one that is, so if your creative juices are flowing, it is the perfect opportunity to make one final regular season GDT before the Thirteenth Annual GDT Awards are handed out against the Vancouver Canuckleheads. See you all on Saturday! Good night...

dallasseason5-episode15-inside_orig.jpg

Oh, and @sipowicz and company, the game starts at 3:00pm on Saturday...

giphy.gif
Ah, Dallas — absolutely mystifying to me as a kid growing up in the Western Isles. Though we sympathized with the lack of trees, and the wind blowing ol’ JR’s Stetson off if it weren’t plumb buckled down.

That was a fun game to watch. Felt a bit desperate at times but much more structured and disciplined, especially in the D zone, with players checking back and playing simple exits with options — forcing the Stars to lug it back in… and in… and in… and in… while Croissant played his big and boring Helle game.

Thought the second line was terrific, and the 3rd and 4th very good, while the first was and steady, looking to pick their spots rather than cheat the play, as Sawzall might say. Plenty of details taken care of, lots of playing the right way. Liked Stan’s game again, thought Sam was great and Pionk relatively harmless, and JMo and the others played a more straight-line but highly effective game.

Nice to see Gus in and playing so well — his game isn’t flashy but he makes smart plays all over the ice, and the idea that players like him, Cole etc can spot in and make +++ contributions is still such a novelty for us grizzled fans.

The Jets don’t have the star power of some top teams (minus Helle, and goalies aren’t stars anymore in the same way I guess), so if they go far it will be through patience, 5-man movement and depth that allows them to frustrate opponents until their skill can grab and opp. It’s more of a chess-game but fascinating in its own right.

Great win, strong play across the board, looking forward to another calmer and simpler game with even icetime on Saturday. Onward and continually upward!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I would love to see an exhibition game where todays players use mid-1980s equipment... then see how well big and boring works...
Well, they wouldn't be as big...

Ken Dryden vs Connor Hellebuyck - both 6'4" goalies - but look at Hellebuyck's arms and shoulders. His glove and blocker are bulkier. Plus the square leg pads allows him to seal off the bottom of the ice. Gotta think Helle's peripheral vision is much better with the new style masks as well. And Hellebuyck's kit weighs a lot less and doesn't absorb sweat and water from the ice surface to get heavier as the game goes on...
1712935515066.png
1712935562060.png

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
It's great to see how many HFJets lizards have egg on their faces this morning!

After all the gloom and doom in the lead up to the game, I even changed my prediction to a Stars' victory. Oh me of little faith! I was so blind to believe those who dumped on the coach and players, who produced glittering stats proving that this player should never play with that player, who convinced me that Pionk is a disaster, Ehlers is a waste of bench space, Toffoli is too slow, the Jets' goalie coach is always wrong, and Chevy should go out to his cabin and hang himself.

Yes, I hang my head in shame. I was deceived. When the mob cried that Perfetti should be in the game and the coach was an idiot, I raised my pitchfork along with everyone else. When the rabid mob decried Scheifele and Connor playing together and the coach was an idiot (and had numbers, oh so many numbers, to prove it!) I joined in the swell of the crowd. When the loud majority issued insults at the notion of putting Gus-Gus into a game and the coach was an idiot, I rained down my rancid disdain along with the howling mob.

But this morning I see we have 49 wins. This morning I see we have a 5 game winning streak.

And I hang my head in shame. Oh, so much shame!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Ah, Dallas — absolutely mystifying to me as a kid growing up in the Western Isles. Though we sympathized with the lack of trees, and the wind blowing ol’ JR’s Stetson off if it weren’t plumb buckled down.

That was a fun game to watch. Felt a bit desperate at times but much more structured and disciplined, especially in the D zone, with players checking back and playing simple exits with options — forcing the Stars to lug it back in… and in… and in… and in… while Croissant played his big and boring Helle game.

Thought the second line was terrific, and the 3rd and 4th very good, while the first was and steady, looking to pick their spots rather than cheat the play, as Sawzall might say. Plenty of details taken care of, lots of playing the right way. Liked Stan’s game again, thought Sam was great and Pionk relatively harmless, and JMo and the others played a more straight-line but highly effective game.

Nice to see Gus in and playing so well — his game isn’t flashy but he makes smart plays all over the ice, and the idea that players like him, Cole etc can spot in and make +++ contributions is still such a novelty for us grizzled fans.

The Jets don’t have the star power of some top teams (minus Helle, and goalies aren’t stars anymore in the same way I guess), so if they go far it will be through patience, 5-man movement and depth that allows them to frustrate opponents until their skill can grab and opp. It’s more of a chess-game but fascinating in its own right.

Great win, strong play across the board, looking forward to another calmer and simpler game with even icetime on Saturday. Onward and continually upward!
Yeah great breakdown.

Our team is at its best when we are forcing teams to come at us and disrupting their entries and exits. We have the skill to make teams pay in transition.

We are at our worst when other teams are pressuring our breakout and we can't get any zone time because we keep having to fight to break out or dump it in consistently.

Much like our goalie, we play at our best when we are boring and in the right position all the time.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Man what the f*** is with all of the early starts for afternoon games lately? 3PM? f*** off, this game for divisional seeding heading into the playoffs should be prime-time. God damn NHL.
There's apparently some rule about the timing of regional games vs. Sportsnet's nationally broadcast games.

Reactions: hn777 and SLAYER

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It's great to see how many HFJets lizards have egg on their faces this morning!

After all the gloom and doom in the lead up to the game, I even changed my prediction to a Stars' victory. Oh me of little faith! I was so blind to believe those who dumped on the coach and players, who produced glittering stats proving that this player should never play with that player, who convinced me that Pionk is a disaster, Ehlers is a waste of bench space, Toffoli is too slow, the Jets' goalie coach is always wrong, and Chevy should go out to his cabin and hang himself.

Yes, I hang my head in shame. I was deceived. When the mob cried that Perfetti should be in the game and the coach was an idiot, I raised my pitchfork along with everyone else. When the rabid mob decried Scheifele and Connor playing together and the coach was an idiot (and had numbers, oh so many numbers, to prove it!) I joined in the swell of the crowd. When the loud majority issued insults at the notion of putting Gus-Gus into a game and the coach was an idiot, I rained down my rancid disdain along with the howling mob.

But this morning I see we have 49 wins. This morning I see we have a 5 game winning streak.

And I hang my head in shame. Oh, so much shame!
Brilliant.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Et tu, Bogo? They/we are not the enemy, you know.

I didn't see the game last night but I'm happy they found a way to play well and win against a great team. Happy so many of our predictions were eclipsed.

One stat in the boxscore that stands out is how relatively even the TOI was. If we are going to go with this line configuration, then it makes sense to give all the lines more equal time 5v5 and save Scheifele-Connor's energy for the PP and 3v3.

Yeah — while I don’t get to hang here as often as before, the Jets fan friendly fire is getting exhausting. Stats, no stats, optimist, pessimist, effusive, cautious, GIF-loving, MS-DOS hoarding — this forum should be the biggest possible tent, no? It’s kinda tiring, so much thread litter.

Anyway — great to see the team playing like the November Jets again and I’m gonna take a few minutes to savour The Bross — he’s got to be the best 2nd goalie this team has seen since a raw talent named Helle was nipping at Pavs skates way back when.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looks like I missed a good game. Hopefully this wasn't a one off systems wise and we keep playing like this. Still very much in the running to get home ice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In fairness to those in the pre game thread who anticipated we might lose were mostly basing that I'm sure off of our horrible track record against the Dullest Starz. We could just as easily had our doors blown off and not many would have been surprised.

That said this was a great win we needed, to put it in the Stars heads that not only can they beaten but that the Winnipeg Jets could beat them.

LB fantastic again. It will be sad day when he signs elsewhere in the off season if he does.

Nice game by the Gus Bus.
If we don't resign Brendon Dillon then Samberg should be 2nd pair next season. Priority on D will be to sign Demelo.

Stanley really solid again and depending on what happens with Heinola we may have our 3rd pairing guy for next season.

Why no penalty call on Benn holding Monohan's stick for like an hour right in front of an official?. Thought the calls that went against us were pretty chintzy.

Pionk on the ice is always an adventure. If we lose to the Avs I'd like to see Pionk sit for a couple games.

I'd like to see Pionk sit for a couple of games regardless.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Having trouble figuring out what constitutes a goalie getting a "game played" designation. Maybe he can just come in for a period or something like that. If it is something like that i would hope the Jets do their damndest to make it happen.
if the goalie appears in net during play..it's a game played. 2 mins 3 mins... 2 periods whatever...

Say Helle runs out at the end of the third with 20 seconds left and Jets are up 4-1.... they put Bro in/ that's a GP.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stanley’s play has been a shock for me. I never saw that coming. It has become clear though was the organization wasn’t willing to throw him away.

Credit where due.
Recent Stanley has not been good with qualifiers, like 'for Stanley' or 'for a huge guy who is sheltered' or anything else that might have been said. He has been good, period.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Pavelec regressed HEAVILY under flats. so any polish Flats put on was worse than what he was given to start with.
a bunch of those tweeners got worse under him as well...
Ever consider that Pavelec's regression was perhaps due to his "lifestyle"? I was once on the Fire Flaherty bandwagon too. I think that he has helped both Helly and Larry. Remember when Helly's weak spot was "high, glove side"? Not anymore except hen he looks tired. Both current Jets' goalies don't move around much, very efficient and not as energy-draining. (Watch Wolfe in Calgary for the antithesis. Their goalie coach has got to get that under control if he's going to be The Guy there.) The Jets finally got rid of Huddy with reason and they've kept Flaherty with reason.

Go Jets Go!

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And since we like to beat on Bowness alot in here i think it's only fair that we give the guy some props for making some good lineup decisions for last night. Lord knows we would have been hearing what a dumbass he is if we lost. 49 wins already this season with 3 more games to hit 50 , that's a great season if you ask me. Oh and with 43 regulation wins right now we are 1st in the entire NHL . GO JETS GO .

:laugh: I still don't like some of his lineup decisions - but I can't argue with the results. That was the first game in a very long time that 1st half Jets were fully back. There have been a couple of other games where they hinted at being back but didn't quite get there.

Even Stanley - Samberg worked. Now just put Miller in for Pionk. (like that would ever happen :laugh: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad