Jets 2018-19 end of season interviews

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets GM spoke for close to 20 minutes today. Here are the questions:

1. Tone of exit interviews.
2. On the theme of discussions with players today.
3. Does he have any concerns with the state of the Jets dressing room?
4. How does he look back at his deadline moves?
5. How does his roster compete talent wise to the rest of the NHL?
6. How close does he think coach Maurice came to getting the most out of the roster?
7. His level of confidence in the coaching staff?
8. Pending salary cap challenge.
9. How would he describe the change in the challenge (from draft/develop to signing young players)?
10. Is there an order to signing players?
11. How soon before the Laine/Connor contract discussions get underway?
12. Role of young players assuming leadership roles on this team?
13. Where do they stand with Jacob Trouba?
14. Have they started negotiations with Trouba?
15. On young players in the lineup.
16. Paid a high price to acquire Kevin Hayes, how close was his usage to what he anticipated when he acquired him?
17. What makes him optimistic coming out of this season?
18. Is it possible he looks to expand the leadership core (i.e. Morrissey wearing a letter)?
19. Do they need finality to the Jabob Trouba situation, one way or another?
20. Any update on Dylan Samberg?

To listen click here.

Reactions: Channelcat

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Trouba is a great player but if he’s concerned about his personal stats enough to make it a reason to want off the team, give him what he wants and don’t look back. It’s a terrible attitude.

It's true but I think a lot of guys are concerned with personal stats. They might not be as open about it. Few people remember the role players on the team. It's the guys that compete for Norris, Ross, Rockets and Vezina's that become the legends. On top of that the guys that put up points are the ones making the biggest pay checks.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Watched the player interviews...some thoughts..

1. Trade Trouba and his Detroit Tigers cap away...forever...to the planet Saturn...so had enough of him...

2. Laine came across as a bit of a punk. I see why Wheeler and Buff might have got annoyed with him.

3. Ehlers seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

4. Wheeler, still open to trading him quickly, I think we have until July 1..

5. Far and away the guys I enjoyed most were Lowry and Copp. Copp was polite and articulate. Lowry looked down but I think he really really cares. These are guys that can be big future leaders for us. I was really impressed with those two, just an all around positive vibe.

6. Many others wore baseball caps, kind of slightly unprofessional, IMO.
If Wheeler says he doesn’t want to play for anyone other than Maurice, and that’s not surprising since he clearly lets him do whatever the hell he wants, can Maurice and maybe he would even waive his NMC after it kicks in. Wheeler would still get a huge return and he’s more valuable that way than a 33-38 year old making 8.25 per. It’s just about finding a team that can afford to take that on.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
It's true but I think a lot of guys are concerned with personal stats. They might not be as open about it. Few people remember the role players on the team. It's the guys that compete for Norris, Ross, Rockets and Vezina's that become the legends. On top of that the guys that put up points are the ones making the biggest pay checks.
Caring about personal stats and caring enough about them to force your way off a team are two different things. I realize there are other factors at play here but it clearly matters to Trouba more than it should at the professional level.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Caring about personal stats and caring enough about them to force your way off a team are two different things. I realize there are other factors at play here but it clearly matters to Trouba more than it should at the professional level.

Likely all comes down to being the guy. He wants to be the guy and he isn't.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
If you can show me a single instance of a Jet claiming an injury last season during their exit interview it would be news to me.

My recollection is not a single Jet said a word about being injured last year, despite in all likelihood many playing both the Nashville & Vegas series with various injuries.

The refusal to lay blame last season came up so much in the off season that I'm shocked anyone claiming to be a fan would state otherwise.

You may be right about no injury in exit interviews. I frankly don't have the energy to research it. Perhaps it was the Ducks series where the injuries was trotted out - I recall claims that Toby was playing with a bad shoulder for one. I think the big excuse last year was generally 'we were tired'. Some people tried 'we were goalied' but that was completely debunked.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The forwards that might have a legitimate complaint about ice-time are:

Ehlers
Perreault
Copp
Roslovic

Laine might gripe that Connor got a couple of minutes extra ice-time, but some of that was his extra time on the PK.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I honestly think a high calibre 2nd line center is exactly what we need right now. The hard part is who and how?

I have not looked. Any C's in UFA? Most likely option is there any team that would want Trouba that has good C depth or a good 2C fit for us? As much as ya I would like a pick and C or D prospect for Trouba, that will help us longer term while taking a hit next year.... i want a 2C or a top 4 D back. We can add or they can add or what ever

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm not sure that changes how they view themselves. Bringing a new coach that tries to shake up their attitudes could very much be what implodes the team completely. You start messing with an entrenched leadership group and you might as well just sign a 1 year deal as a coach because you won't last long.

All the more reason to get rid of that entrenched non-leadership group, as I will call them.

Reactions: Board Bard

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have not looked. Any C's in UFA? Most likely option is there any team that would want Trouba that has good C depth or a good 2C fit for us? As much as ya I would like a pick and C or D prospect for Trouba, that will help us longer term while taking a hit next year.... i want a 2C or a top 4 D back. We can add or they can add or what ever

Duchene is about the only one in UFA. Not sure which teams have a top 6 C they are willing to move and would want to add Trouba at the same time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
List of players interviewed:

Wheeler (C)
Scheifele (A)
Byfuglien (A) (um, you wear a letter...)

Copp
Lowry
Hayes
Connor
Little
Laine
Ehlers
Tanev
Roslovic (ruffled feathers?)
Perreault (see Roslovic)

Chiarot
Trouba
Morrissey
Myers
Kulikov (Ciao!)
Morrow (see Kulikov)

Hellebuyck (starting goalie... face the music)
Brossoit

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Wheeler (C)
Scheifele (A)

Copp
Lowry
Hayes
Little
Laine
Ehlers
Tanev

Chiarot
Trouba
Morrissey
Myers
Kulikov (Ciao!)
Morrow (see Kulikov)

Brossoit

No Perreault or Beaulieu either.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016

Wheeler (C)
Scheifele (A)

Copp
Lowry
Hayes
Connor
Little
Laine
Ehlers
Tanev
Perreault (see Roslovic)

Chiarot
Trouba
Morrissey
Myers
Kulikov (Ciao!)
Morrow (see Kulikov)

Brossoit
Kulikov will back in September

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kulikov will back in September

Chevy was just talking about how there may be a big shake up the summer in regards to our roster. I could see him trying to move on from Kulikov, Perreault, Morrow and potentially Trouba if a long term deal can't be done. I think he will be very keen on keeping Tanev so that will be a factor.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Chariot and Myers gave what seem to be genuine true answers that they want to stay. If you dont you give a Trouba answer or Tanev but he prob just wants to actually test UFA and see. And he earned that. Also Trouba wants to move on, so be it.

I would re sign Chariot for right price as a bottom pair guy. But if we trade Trouba and don't pick up any replacement through any means, I would be fine with bringing back Myers then. But only if he takes not a discount but what he is worth, no overpaying as some teams would prob do for him. But I don't think you can even consider Myers unless you dump Perreault or Kulikov

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
There is a risk. The Jets are really in need of an elite coach right now. I don't know of one I'd suggest, but someone of the guys off the table might have been appropriate due to the respect they'd command. Now one that comes in with the correct on-ice strategy and can also manage the egos? Might be a unicorn...

So it could happen then. Unicorns do exist, it is just that they have gotten lazy and fat.....and we now call them Rhinos...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seriously what insane coach would play an injured player?
What happened to player safety?
What happened to team depth?
I hope the league steps in and fines the Jets ... take it out of Maurice's salary.
Jets are probably far from the most injured team. Not one person off to surgery later this week.

Reactions: GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I am pretty sure Laine's agent is atleast one of the ones concerned about ice time. Back when Laine was moved to play with Lowry there was a weird tweet by a St Louis Blues beat reporter that 5 on 5 icetime was an issue for Laine. It was weird as how a random Blues beat reporter would reveal that. I think @ICdave on the IC podcast did some sleuthing and connected that Mike Liut- a former Blues player who also happens to be Laine's agent was in St Louis promoting something the week of the quote.

I can't see Ehlers' agent being pissed as he is already got his meal ticket long term. I also don't see how Connor's agent would have any reason to complain. Morrissey played huge minutes so no reason for him to complain. The only young players who fit the bill for ice time complaints are Laine, Roslovic, and maybe Copp.

I think Laine, Ehlers, Rosie, Copp and Perreault likely all complained about usage, or at least should have. Don't think meal tickets have anything to do with toi. They all want to play and win. I still maintain that if i'm Ehlers, I hand in my trade request today at the exit interview.

Connor's agent is likely clapping his hands with all the opportunity he got that will translate into extra $.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Chevy was just talking about how there may be a big shake up the summer in regards to our roster. I could see him trying to move on from Kulikov, Perreault, Morrow and potentially Trouba if a long term deal can't be done. I think he will be very keen on keeping Tanev so that will be a factor.
It's easy to say move on from Kulikov and Perrault but they have contracts. You would need to sucker some team into those deals which won't happen easily

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's easy to say move on from Kulikov and Perrault but they have contracts. You would need to sucker some team into those deals which won't happen easily

Perrault should still have some value to teams needing secondary offense from the wing position such as say Edmonton.

Reactions: Daximus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad