Jets 2018-19 end of season interviews

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the Trouba interview was disappointing, but expected. I was hoping there was a chance he signs....something changed in his personal life perhaps or anything to make him stay. But that interview pretty much was the gut-punch that he doesn't see the future here. I remember last year's end of season interview where he said he'd like a deal with the Jets "the quicker the better", but maybe he meant trade :shakehead.

oh well, we got 6 years out of him, it's his right to move on if he desires.

Reactions: irunthepeg

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm not sure that changes how they view themselves. Bringing a new coach that tries to shake up their attitudes could very much be what implodes the team completely. You start messing with an entrenched leadership group and you might as well just sign a 1 year deal as a coach because you won't last long.
There is a risk. The Jets are really in need of an elite coach right now. I don't know of one I'd suggest, but someone of the guys off the table might have been appropriate due to the respect they'd command. Now one that comes in with the correct on-ice strategy and can also manage the egos? Might be a unicorn...

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
the Trouba interview was disappointing, but expected. I was hoping there was a chance he signs....something changed in his personal life perhaps or anything to make him stay. But that interview pretty much was the gut-punch that he doesn't see the future here. I remember last year's end of season interview where he said he'd like a deal with the Jets "the quicker the better", but maybe he meant trade :shakehead.

oh well, we got 6 years out of him, it's his right to move on if he desires.

Don't think it has much to do with the city or personal life or anything. I get the feeling that Trouba wants to be 'the guy' for a team, and I think he realizes he won't be here. Buff will always be first fiddle, and Morrissey has surpassed Trouba as the next guy in line.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Haven't seen anyone post this yet but I'll say it as a semi Jets fan. I loaded up on Wheeler / Scheifele / Helly in my hockey pool this season so I watched nearly every game very intently. I was thrilled with Wheeler dominating on the right side of the PP then astonished how they never really innovated beyond that.

What was blatantly obvious to me was how hard Paul Maurice played Wheeler & Scheif during the regular season. Those guys were major horses from game 1 to game 82. I didn't understand why they would do that, they were tired. They had great point totals but in round 1 you could see the gas was gone. Wheeler works way too hard out there to play that many minutes. As a coach you need to manage that, just my opinion. I understand Paul works his top guys more than other coaches, it doesn't work (in the playoffs) anymore.

As for Helly, he was only a bit worse than last season but I thought he started to pick it up near the end. I thought the defensive breakdowns were worse this season than last but injuries did play a part. No stats just my observations watching every shot that went his way. Does anyone else see it? I thought they worked the top line way too much to have gas by game 85 and beyond.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There is a risk. The Jets are really in need of an elite coach right now. I don't know of one I'd suggest, but someone of the guys off the table might have been appropriate due to the respect they'd command. Now one that comes in with the correct on-ice strategy and can also manage the egos? Might be a unicorn...

Managing ego is the hardest job in the game. On ice strategy is pretty cut and dry these days. These guys aren't in peewee anymore. You're not showing them anything they haven't seen in this game with x's and o's. You just set a plan in motion based on your personnel and hope they can execute it. In a game like hockey you can have the best plan in the world but when the whistle drops all you can do is send out the lines and try to execute on plays during the moment. It's not like football where every touch of the ball is a finely executed plan.

Reactions: tacogeoff

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't think it has much to do with the city or personal life or anything. I get the feeling that Trouba wants to be 'the guy' for a team, and I think he realizes he won't be here. Buff will always be first fiddle, and Morrissey has surpassed Trouba as the next guy in line.
I don't think he hates the city or fans or teammates either. I think he wants to play in FLA close to his fiance b/c of her medical profession

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Trouba has always wanted out, and that's fine. and I don't care what the reason is...

The Jets can trade him this summer or force him into arbitration again which keeps him for one more season , and then try to trade him while he is playing.

IMO, they should move him , as long as they get value, this summer. If they don't get a value offer, then go the arbitration route. I guess there is a risk he can always sit out again.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

That's how I see it. You know Buff will do everything in his power to keep that from happening as well.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Haven't seen anyone post this yet but I'll say it as a semi Jets fan. I loaded up on Wheeler / Scheifele / Helly in my hockey pool this season so I watched nearly every game very intently. I was thrilled with Wheeler dominating on the right side of the PP then astonished how they never really innovated beyond that.

What was blatantly obvious to me was how hard Paul Maurice played Wheeler & Scheif during the regular season. Those guys were major horses from game 1 to game 82. I didn't understand why they would do that, they were tired. They had great point totals but in round 1 you could see the gas was gone. Wheeler works way too hard out there to play that many minutes. As a coach you need to manage that, just my opinion. I understand Paul works his top guys more than other coaches, it doesn't work (in the playoffs) anymore.

As for Helly, he was only a bit worse than last season but I thought he started to pick it up near the end. I thought the defensive breakdowns were worse this season than last but injuries did play a part. No stats just my observations watching every shot that went his way. Does anyone else see it? I thought they worked the top line way too much to have gas by game 85 and beyond.

As the playoffs have proved out, the regular season just isn’t important. You just need to get into the show.

I would rather have a well rested team available for the playoffs. What’s the point of having all that depth if you’re not going to use it unless someone has a major injury?

I agree we should be cutting back on TOI even if that hurts our regular season record. Where we get seeded doesn’t matter. Being ready for the playoff grind is all that matters.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As the playoffs have proved out, the regular season just isn’t important. You just need to get into the show.

I would rather have a well rested team available for the playoffs. What’s the point of having all that depth if you’re not going to use it unless someone has a major injury?

I agree we should be cutting back on TOI even if that hurts our regular season record. Where we get seeded doesn’t matter. Being ready for the playoff grind is all that matters.

The interesting thing is MacK, Landy and Rantanen play more than Scheif and Wheeler.

Scheif - 21:52
Wheels - 20:43

MacKinnon - 22:05
Landeskog - 21:09
Rantanen - 20:51

They should have ran those guys into the ground but they have absolutely elevated in the playoffs.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Injury News:

Patrik Laine said he’s been dealing with a back issue for the past couple of seasons.

This is a concern. I've had back issues for the last 20+ years and the one thing I can say is they never go away. There are days you are fine and there are days you can't move... the trick is knowing yourself what it feels like when things are about to go bad, and they taking steps to mitigate it as best you can. One thing I do know is my doctor told me to stop playing hockey if I wanted to be able to keep walking. Lots of damage caused by playing.

Now Laine is young and maybe he will be OK and things won't become a real problem until after he retires, but the Jets need to really know what's going on here. More so if you are about to sign the guy to a super pricey long-term contract.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

That's the thing. I liked the depth the Jets had. I thought they could have exploited it more. Wheeler & Scheif at 21-22 minutes is just too much. Most of the teams left in the playoffs manage the stars ice time better. Best example are the Islanders. Top 6 minute eaters are from the D and all the forwards are under 18 minutes.

Call me crazy but if the Jets had a Wheeler & Scheif in the 18-20 minute range, the Jets still finish top 3 in the division and I think they beat the Blues. All credit to St. Louis for playing well but Winnipeg looked way too tired to me at the end of that series.

Reactions: Guffman

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The interesting thing is MacK, Landy and Rantanen play more than Scheif and Wheeler.

Scheif - 21:52
Wheels - 20:43

MacKinnon - 22:05
Landeskog - 21:09
Rantanen - 20:51

They should have ran those guys into the ground but they have absolutely elevated in the playoffs.

Honest point but Ranta is very young relative to Wheeler and Scheif. Mack is a lower body beast and although he skates hard, Wheeler absolutely grinds his minutes. Complete grind. Winnipeg as poor as they played would have beat Calgary IMO and the Avs as well as they played wouldn't have beat St. Louis.

Reactions: Jack722

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Honest point but Ranta is very young relative to Wheeler and Scheif. Mack is a lower body beast and although he skates hard, Wheeler absolutely grinds his minutes. Complete grind. Winnipeg as poor as they played would have beat Calgary IMO and the Avs as well as they played wouldn't have beat St. Louis.

Landeskog plays a far more physical game then either of our guys and manages fine.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice's interview was surprisingly insiteful. Seems he had trouble getting the scorers to take their defensive responsibilities seriously enough after last year and with all the goals they scored. I didn't care how side stepped the if players like Mark needed to do better. Still too much pointing the finger at the youth. The team leaders were some of the biggest culprits defensively.

ChevysDayOff

Nov 2, 2018
Winnipeg
Maurice's interview was surprisingly insiteful. Seems he had trouble getting the scorers to take their defensive responsibilities seriously enough after last year and with all the goals they scored. I didn't care how side stepped the if players like Mark needed to do better. Still too much pointing the finger at the youth. The team leaders were some of the biggest culprits defensively.

Also his comment about ruffled feathers in the room that need to be smoothed over before they get back at it in the fall.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Landeskog plays a far more physical game then either of our guys and manages fine.

Disagree. Landeskog does play physical, but Wheeler grinds. Landeskog does his fair bit of coasting out there and picks his spot similar to Ovi. Wheeler is constantly skating, hustling, forechecking, hitting, creating. Sorry .. I don't see the same game here. Wheeler absolutely eats those minutes. Very few guys in the NHL play that way. You want that effort but at 21 minutes a night, you won't have gas in the playoffs and it was obvious if you watched the series. Some guys can play those minutes and it's not as taxing. It's taxing on 32 year old Blake Wheeler. I don't know how you don't see it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Disagree. Landeskog does play physical, but Wheeler grinds. Landeskog does his fair bit of coasting out there and picks his spot similar to Ovi. Wheeler is constantly skating, hustling, forechecking, hitting, creating. Sorry .. I don't see the same game here. Wheeler absolutely eats those minutes. Very few guys in the NHL play that way. You want that effort but at 21 minutes a night, you won't have gas in the playoffs and it was obvious if you watched the series. Some guys can play those minutes and it's not as taxing. It's taxing on 32 year old Blake Wheeler. I don't know how you don't see it.

I think you are overstating what Wheeler does game in and game out. Wheeler used to do that. He was a shell of the player he used to be this year. He coasts a tonne and barely drives the net anymore.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is a concern. I've had back issues for the last 20+ years and the one thing I can say is they never go away. There are days you are fine and there are days you can't move... the trick is knowing yourself what it feels like when things are about to go bad, and they taking steps to mitigate it as best you can. One thing I do know is my doctor told me to stop playing hockey if I wanted to be able to keep walking. Lots of damage caused by playing.

Now Laine is young and maybe he will be OK and things won't become a real problem until after he retires, but the Jets need to really know what's going on here. More so if you are about to sign the guy to a super pricey long-term contract.
Back issues are highly variable. It's very difficult to compare one to another.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Love how this media availability has everyone parroting youth and inexperience contributing to the team’s defensive flaws. Some great PR work going on here, even though they don’t want to use it as an excuse themselves, so they say.

Someone should ask the hard questions how his favourite top line were the worst contributors to a mistake ridden system and did nothing to teach the hard lessons there by keeping them together regardless. And how come his defense coach couldn’t maintain a system from year 2 to year 3.

Media is just lobbing them up, like come on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think you are overstating what Wheeler does game in and game out. Wheeler used to do that. He was a shell of the player he used to be this year. He coasts a tonne and barely drives the net anymore.
I've had some concerns with Wheeler's style of play this season, but I think you've overstated his decline substantially.

Reactions: Aggie204

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've had some concerns with Wheeler's style of play this season, but I think you've overstated his decline substantially.

I don't think it's a decline. I think it's a change in play style. He's still putting up numbers but he's no where near the wrecking ball he used to be. Wheeler really used to push the pace in a more physical manner and now he elects to do so with a more skill based approach. Though it's a different style of game when you primarily play with Ladd and Little and when you play with Scheif and one of the 3 young guns (Ehlers, Laine, Connor)

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Yeah, he almost sounds bitter and thinks Buff is in his way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad