Jets 2018-19 end of season interviews

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Love how this media availability has everyone parroting youth and inexperience contributing to the team’s defensive flaws. Some great PR work going on here, even though they don’t want to use it as an excuse themselves, so they say.

Someone should ask the hard questions how his favourite top line were the worst contributors to a mistake ridden system and did nothing to teach the hard lessons there by keeping them together regardless. And how come his defense coach couldn’t maintain a system from year 2 to year 3.

Media is just lobbing them up, like come on.
No one wants to be told to F off. ;)

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Love how this media availability has everyone parroting youth and inexperience contributing to the team’s defensive flaws. Some great PR work going on here, even though they don’t want to use it as an excuse themselves, so they say.

Someone should ask the hard questions how his favourite top line were the worst contributors to a mistake ridden system and did nothing to teach the hard lessons there by keeping them together regardless. And how come his defense coach couldn’t maintain a system from year 2 to year 3.

Agreed. This group was a massive disappointment this season and there are some tough questions that should be asked on all fronts (coaching, player performance etc). Frustrating to hear them tout youth and inexperience when they're the same team that showed up night in and night out last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Someone tried to get him to bite on Scheifele but he dodged the question. It starts at the top, if your two best forwards are part of the issue then how can you expect the young guys to soothe right thing.

Reactions: irunthepeg

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets bench boss spoke for 33 minutes today. Here are the questions:
  1. Insight into the day.
  2. What kind of vibe is he getting from his players?
  3. On the Jets “not getting off the ground” during the season.
  4. How far along is he in figuring out “what went wrong”?
  5. Did the defence suffer while some players had career offensive numbers?
  6. Can they get back to where they need to be defensively with a D group in flux?
  7. Was this season the most “open” the Jets window will be to win?
  8. Does he have any concerns about the state of the room and the ability of this group to pull in the right direction?
  9. What is the top priority for the coaching staff?
  10. On evaluating his coaching staff.
  11. On Patrik Laine’s back issue.
  12. What was the biggest challenge for him this season?
  13. Challenge with all the UFAs and RFAs that the Jets have this season.
  14. Challenge to develop a winning team with a young team.
  15. What role did the expectations have and how did they handle it?
  16. On the need for all players to step up with their defensive game.
  17. How can he guide the players through expectations (i.e when they aren’t having success).
  18. Trying to pinpoint the inconsistency between this back end of the season to last season.
  19. What Kevin Hayes brought to this group.
  20. Choosing to use Nikolaj Ehlers instead of a healthy body in game 6.
  21. His relationship with the players.
  22. How close does he feel he came to getting the most out of his team?
  23. Any insight into how game 6 just didn’t look the way an elimination game should look?
To listen click here.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Same as after last year when we lost. Trot out the injury report, makes fans feel better.

I have breaking news. Other playoff teams have their own injury issues that they manage. Injury report is fine. Just don't use it as another lame excuse for why we couldnt find our game for most of the year and why we are out early.

If you can show me a single instance of a Jet claiming an injury last season during their exit interview it would be news to me.

My recollection is not a single Jet said a word about being injured last year, despite in all likelihood many playing both the Nashville & Vegas series with various injuries.

The refusal to lay blame last season came up so much in the off season that I'm shocked anyone claiming to be a fan would state otherwise.

Last edited:

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Honest point but Ranta is very young relative to Wheeler and Scheif. Mack is a lower body beast and although he skates hard, Wheeler absolutely grinds his minutes. Complete grind. Winnipeg as poor as they played would have beat Calgary IMO and the Avs as well as they played wouldn't have beat St. Louis.

Calgary maybe, the Avs? The way they played? No I think we go out in 4 straight. For the record I think we also would lose to Vegas in 5, Dallas in 6, Nashville in 7 or we maybe beat them, San Jose? Maybe.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
That's the thing. I liked the depth the Jets had. I thought they could have exploited it more. Wheeler & Scheif at 21-22 minutes is just too much. Most of the teams left in the playoffs manage the stars ice time better. Best example are the Islanders. Top 6 minute eaters are from the D and all the forwards are under 18 minutes.

Call me crazy but if the Jets had a Wheeler & Scheif in the 18-20 minute range, the Jets still finish top 3 in the division and I think they beat the Blues. All credit to St. Louis for playing well but Winnipeg looked way too tired to me at the end of that series.

Hard to explain why Scheifele would look gassed in the playoffs considering the amount of floating he did during the season. He should have been daisy fresh. Wheeler is capable of being gassed halfway through the first period of any game.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Night and day between Trouba and Myers attitudes towards staying. Myers obviously wants to be here and knows the role he will have going forward if that happens. Trouba obviously thinks he will be saddled behind Buff in big situations for the remainder of Buffs contract at least. I think Trouba is done as a Jet after this year. Hopefully Chevy can get the most out of that situation.

Lot's of truth to this. I've long been of the opinion Trouba's attitude changed the moment Buff got his new contract, believing that portion of the salary cap belonged to him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Calgary maybe, the Avs? The way they played? No I think we go out in 4 straight. For the record I think we also would lose to Vegas in 5, Dallas in 6, Nashville in 7 or we maybe beat them, San Jose? Maybe.

I think we could crush Nashville.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would love to hear what the "ruffled feathers" that Maurice alluded to are.

Clearly despite the players saying contrary there are some people who aren't happy in the room. Maurice also mentioned agents being pissed at young players ice time so I think we can reasonably assume some young players weren't overly happy.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lot's of truth to this. I've long been of the opinion Trouba's attitude changed the moment Buff got his new contract, believing that portion of the salary cap belonged to him.

I think so. He wants to be our #1 guy, he wants that #1 PP time and he wants to prove he can put up numbers in the NHL. Hopefully Chevy can find a fit for him and ourselves. As if there is a fit for him, that likely mean he will sign long term there and they will hopefully pony up for that.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Also his comment about ruffled feathers in the room that need to be smoothed over before they get back at it in the fall.

Everything in Maurice's interview sounds like bus throwing and finger pointing and sidestepping. The feathers got ruffled because of his mismanagement. It won't be better next year with him still there.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The interesting thing is MacK, Landy and Rantanen play more than Scheif and Wheeler.

Scheif - 21:52
Wheels - 20:43

MacKinnon - 22:05
Landeskog - 21:09
Rantanen - 20:51

They should have ran those guys into the ground but they have absolutely elevated in the playoffs.

Yeah that is odd. And maybe those guys are just more exceptional in their stamina. Or maybe having the 3rd guy on the line helps. Landy was also injured for a bit so that's almost like a "break" and wasn't Rantanen also out for a bit?

In terms of TOI, I wonder if that would almost make them more effective game to game if they had a few minutes shaved off like would they be more productive with less time because other teams would have to fear our other lines more.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

They'll be able to run a recording of this year's exit interviews next year. Gives them an extra few days for the sorely needed vacation after those six grueling playoff games.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah that is odd. And maybe those guys are just more exceptional in their stamina. Or maybe having the 3rd guy on the line helps. Landy was also injured for a bit so that's almost like a "break" and wasn't Rantanen also out for a bit?

In terms of TOI, I wonder if that would almost make them more effective game to game if they had a few minutes shaved off like would they be more productive with less time because other teams would have to fear our other lines more.

time on ice like that definitely helps in the production department. I think Scheif and Wheeler want team success but they also want individual success. Scheif is a hockey fanatic and has alluded to wanting to be considered among the greats. I have no doubt they want to gun for an Art Ross or Richard trophy.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Listening to the interviews, I gotta say I'd be happy to have Copp and Lowry on the Jets for a long time. Big, solid, smart players that are still developing well.

I remember when both of them were drafted, they were both touted as future 'Captain' material.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They'll be able to run a recording of this year's exit interviews next year. Gives them an extra few days for the sorely needed vacation after those six grueling playoff games.

Well at least we don't have that hack of a coach Jon Cooper. :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Clearly despite the players saying contrary there are some people who aren't happy in the room. Maurice also mentioned agents being pissed at young players ice time so I think we can reasonably assume some young players weren't overly happy.

I am pretty sure Laine's agent is atleast one of the ones concerned about ice time. Back when Laine was moved to play with Lowry there was a weird tweet by a St Louis Blues beat reporter that 5 on 5 icetime was an issue for Laine. It was weird as how a random Blues beat reporter would reveal that. I think @ICdave on the IC podcast did some sleuthing and connected that Mike Liut- a former Blues player who also happens to be Laine's agent was in St Louis promoting something the week of the quote.

I can't see Ehlers' agent being pissed as he is already got his meal ticket long term. I also don't see how Connor's agent would have any reason to complain. Morrissey played huge minutes so no reason for him to complain. The only young players who fit the bill for ice time complaints are Laine, Roslovic, and maybe Copp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad