Post-Game Talk: Jets 2.0 First Playoff Win 3-2

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
As we infight to discuss which one of our Good D men struggled the most in game one I just wanted to point t out......

Josh Morrissey does not make mistakes. Do you know how incedibly tough that is to pull off in the NHL these days.

Did you notice how JoMo was the D they tried to take liberties with? I don’t think that is something random. If he goes down it would really leave a hole in our left side

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, Cherry thought the Jets were "lucky" to win the game, confirming once again that he doesn't actually understand hockey...

gameShots-2018-04-11-2017030161-MINatWPG.png

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
So, Cherry thought the Jets were "lucky" to win the game, confirming once again that he doesn't actually understand hockey...

The Jets didn’t play well for the first 30 minutes and trailed in the third period.

They also made a ton of mistakes that didn’t register as a high danger scoring chance for the wild because often times the puck was just out of reach/shot didn’t register on net.

We easily could have lost that game - I think that was Don Cherry’s point. I’m pretty sure he understands hockey

Reactions: Flair Hay

iamtheratio

Oct 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone have a gif of Ehlers' high speed run into the O-zone where he deftly avoids a run by one of the Wild D-men? The play didn't generate much but my jaw dropped at the speed of the play; Fly's brain must fire at >150% the rate of a normal player, or at least those controlling motorneuronal function.

I wonder if it's like The Flash where Ehlers goes SO fast that the rest of the world just SLOWS down for him? That's what I choose to believe. :nod:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The Jets didn’t play well for the first 30 minutes and trailed in the third period.

They also made a ton of mistakes that didn’t register as a high danger scoring chance for the wild because often times the puck was just out of reach/shot didn’t register on net.

We easily could have lost that game - I think that was Don Cherry’s point. I’m pretty sure he understands hockey
Don Cherry is senile. Love the guy, but the game has passed him by.

Sure we could have lost that game, we also could have won it 5-0.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Hopefully parise gets some 'back' attention and spurgeon gets a 'leg' massage on Friday

If we can push them a bit harder while staying out of the box, sure. No need to start targeting specific limbs. My point is clearly lost.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Didn't play well in the first 30?

Then what were the Wild doing? Jets were by far the better team in the first period.

Reactions: HannuJ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i think you will find many, many hockey pundits that will, time and time again, prove you wrong.

anyways, we could have lost the game. but we didn't.
we outshot them 2:1.
fancystats and eyetest and shots on net all show that the Jets outplayed the Wild. other than a few spurts here and there and a 5 minute burp, the Jets were the better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
First Conn Smythe winner to not score a goal? :nod:
Honestly, speaking of Conn Smythe winners, Lowry’s usage reminds me of the way Zetterberg was deployed during DRWs Stanley cup runs when he was shadowing top lines of the opposition.

iamtheratio

Oct 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I thought Connor had a fantastic game ... he did not get on the score sheet but looked great out there for a rookie ... wow! If he keeps this up by the end of the playoffs there are going to be a lot of #81 Jet jerseys sold across the country.

I'll be wearing #81 next season in my beer league. :thumbu:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Every team makes some mistakes in every game, but the Jets clearly outplayed the Wild so saying that they were "lucky" to win is a bit silly. Just because a game is close, doesn't mean that the winning team was "lucky" to win, and certainly not when the winning team performed better than their opponent.

I'll stand by my view about Cherry's lack of understanding of today's hockey. You just knew that he would bring up his tired old canard about not putting your stick in front of shots, after the Morrow goal. Besides the fact that he erroneously said that Parise deflected Laine's shot, cherry-picking goals like Morrow's ignores the countless times that defensemen or forwards deflect shots away from the net or over the glass with their sticks. Imagine if all of those shots went exactly where the shooter intended. You'd see a lot more goals, rebounds, etc. than you do. Players deflect and block shots because their coaches tell them to get their sticks in the way, because it reduces the number of shots on net.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Great beginning, terrible middle, great near end, bad end end :)

But we got the W which is what we had to do.

A game like that will not cut it against Nashville though.

Hope Frenchie is alright, nice that we have Roslo waiting in the wings.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Honestly, speaking of Conn Smythe winners, Lowry’s usage reminds me of the way Zetterberg was deployed during DRWs Stanley cup runs when he was shadowing top lines of the opposition.
Lowry would be really important for a deep playoff run. I am quite concerned about his health after seeing him struggle off the ice after one shift and look very uncomfortable on the bench. I thought he might not return for the 3rd period. I'm hoping it was just a "stinger" or something, and not a serious injury issue. He is one of the Jets' more valuable players.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

He said they didn't play that good and next game they would play a lot better plus he has the Jets going to the SC final.
I agree with him the Jets did not look good until they were down 2-1.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Did you notice how JoMo was the D they tried to take liberties with? I don’t think that is something random. If he goes down it would really leave a hole in our left side

Just connected to the internet on Wetjet and have to say I love this option now.

Yes I did notice. I also don’t think it was an accident they were going after Matty P. Bruce B was coaching the Ducks in the playoffs when I felt they were targeting Toby in a similar way too. I am not saying it’s intent to injure but let’s say it’s to stress test how much they can take.

At the end of the day it’s the playoffs and it’s a legal and pretty effective tactic. Matt P is probably gone and that makes us a bit weaker. If we were doing the same thing we would target Spurgeon for the same type of attention but I don’t that is how Maurice rolls.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He said they didn't play that good and next game they would play a lot better plus he has the Jets going to the SC final.
I agree with him the Jets did not look good until they were down 2-1.
Jets were very good in period 1, hit a lull in the middle of period 2, and then dominated period 3 (despite the 2 goals against).

This is a good reflection of how the game went...

tide-2018-04-11-2017030161-MINatWPG.png

I think they can play better, but I also think that they were quite sharp in the game. For the most part they made good and crisp passes and didn't make a lot of unwise plays. I thought they stopped skating a bit in the 2nd period, but were back to skating in the 3rd.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Don Cherry is senile. Love the guy, but the game has passed him by.

Sure we could have lost that game, we also could have won it 5-0.
And he did say that ... the only reason why the Wild were in the game was because of Dubnyk.
Seriously we all have seen the Jets play better and that's all Cherry was pointing out. Great teams can win games on cruise control.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would consider getting Mathias in for a game. I think he would be well-suited to this type of series (if MP is out)
No, thanks. I'd prefer Roslovic and Dano over him, in that order. If MP is out, I'd consider the following...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Little-Armia
Tanev-Lowry-Roslovic

Reactions: Jets2point0

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And he did say that ... the only reason why the Wild were in the game was because of Dubnyk.
Seriously we all have seen the Jets play better and that's all Cherry was pointing out. Great teams can win games on cruise control.
Don't want this to be a Don Cherry thread, but he also said the Jets were "lucky" to win - I disagree with that.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Jets were very good in period 1, hit a lull in the middle of period 2, and then dominated period 3 (despite the 2 goals against).

This is a good reflection of how the game went...

tide-2018-04-11-2017030161-MINatWPG.png

I think they can play better, but I also think that they were quite sharp in the game. For the most part they made good and crisp passes and didn't make a lot of unwise plays. I thought they stopped skating a bit in the 2nd period, but were back to skating in the 3rd.
Jets played a good game ... not a great game but that's okay because they did win.
Let's give some credit to Minnesota ... they are a good team.
Getting the first win was going to be tough but now that its over ... I think the Jets will be rolling.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets played a good game ... not a great game but that's okay because they did win.
Let's give some credit to Minnesota ... they are a good team.
Getting the first win was going to be tough but now that its over ... I think the Jets will be rolling.
The Wild are a very tough team, and will be tough to beat. If the Jets outplay the Wild like they did last night in every game, they are very likely to win the series. But I think the Wild will have the Jets on their heels at various times in the series and I don't expect an easy victory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad