Post-Game Talk: Jets 2.0 First Playoff Win 3-2

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
No, thanks. I'd prefer Roslovic and Dano over him, in that order. If MP is out, I'd consider the following...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Little-Armia
Tanev-Lowry-Roslovic
I don't think it's a good idea to split up Copp/Lowry. They are dynamite together. I think the CLT line has to remain. If Roslovic or Armia can't play on their off wing put Dano in.

Reactions: Babooch and GJETson

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Don't want this to be a Don Cherry thread, but he also said the Jets were "lucky" to win - I disagree with that.
I think he meant in a way for the Jets to smart up and bring your A game for 60 minutes. Who knows maybe Maurice or one of the players said the same thing in the dressing. A game you should win ... you were down 2-1 in the 3rd. After all the last 2 Jet goals were deflected by a Wild player which is lucky ... right?

Reactions: Jets2point0

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Every team makes some mistakes in every game, but the Jets clearly outplayed the Wild so saying that they were "lucky" to win is a bit silly. Just because a game is close, doesn't mean that the winning team was "lucky" to win, and certainly not when the winning team performed better than their opponent.

I'll stand by my view about Cherry's lack of understanding of today's hockey. You just knew that he would bring up his tired old canard about not putting your stick in front of shots, after the Morrow goal. Besides the fact that he erroneously said that Parise deflected Laine's shot, cherry-picking goals like Morrow's ignores the countless times that defensemen or forwards deflect shots away from the net or over the glass with their sticks. Imagine if all of those shots went exactly where the shooter intended. You'd see a lot more goals, rebounds, etc. than you do. Players deflect and block shots because their coaches tell them to get their sticks in the way, because it reduces the number of shots on net.

Isn’t he the guy that said hockey would come back to Winnipeg, when all the other hockey experts and economists said it was near impossible :sarcasm:

I guess that’s why I have a soft spot for him. He doesn’t have it out for Winnipeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Haven’t had much of a chance to discuss the game given the travel but I am very jacked we escaped that game with a win. I thought we fully deserved it but this game was strait out of central casting with that vibe of the “underdog”, lesser team, getting badly outshot, with the hot goalie stealing a game on the road to open a series. Fighting though that was huge. We are now up 1-0 and only need to hold serve on Friday and all the pressure is on the Wild.

Lowry Copp were on full beast mode as usual and yes the national media are waking up to it. Lebrun’s article in the Athletic was very good on the topic. Honestly I didn’t expect everyone to know our secret, that is what playoffs are for and your team gets more dedicated national attention. It’s really important Lowry does not get injured in the playoffs.

Kyle Connor is going to have a big Playoffs. The kid was so dangerous last night and he has reached a new level.

I was watching the game with seven buddies from Winnipeg in Arizona on the NBC feed and we lost it when Laine sniped! Paul’s drop pass and legal pick really opened up the play for Pate and “ice water” didn’t disappoint.

Helly looked really calm not that I expected different......he walked though the looking glass into the NHL playoff world and was as relaxed, technically sound, and confident as ever. That is huge.

The win....the street party....young guys coming of age.......this was good for team confidence and city confidence.

GJF and Romang where are you guys?? Get your long suffering asses in here and share your thoughts about last night.

Taking my 9 year old son to his first white out Friday night and I hope he tells that story Long after I am gone.

GJG

Last edited:

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Fun fact. At the 1990 game 4 (Ellett game winner) I sat beside someone who was not dressed in white. He wasn't anti coolaid, just said he didn't own anything white.

IMG_0913.jpg

Interesting. I guess things haven’t changed that much over the decades. There’s always one. So where was this guy in the pic from last night? What section?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I don't think it's a good idea to split up Copp/Lowry. They are dynamite together. I think the CLT line has to remain. If Roslovic or Armia can't play on their off wing put Dano in.

I agree with this post.

Although, trying to pronounce the CLT line as a word may get you some funny looks :laugh:

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
If we can push them a bit harder while staying out of the box, sure. No need to start targeting specific limbs. My point is clearly lost.

I agree. Speed and skill will win this series.

My original quote needed :sarcasm:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Every team makes some mistakes in every game, but the Jets clearly outplayed the Wild so saying that they were "lucky" to win is a bit silly. Just because a game is close, doesn't mean that the winning team was "lucky" to win, and certainly not when the winning team performed better than their opponent.

In any one game with only win-or-loss outcomes, whoever won got lucky to some degree. The better team needs to get "less lucky" to win that game, but it is an EXTREMELY dangerous line of reasoning to imagine that the better team "doesn't need" luck or that luck only benefits the underdog and that when the better team wins "it's all skill", and so fortrh.

Good luck is when your measured results exceed your expected results; bad luck is when your measured results are less than your expected results. And this isn't some nitpicky nerd definition, but a significant one that is vital in understanding how "breaks even out" in the long run.

So yes, we got lucky. Less lucky than Minnesota would have been if they had won, but we got lucky all the same.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In any one game with only win-or-loss outcomes, whoever won got lucky to some degree. The better team needs to get "less lucky" to win that game, but it is an EXTREMELY dangerous line of reasoning to imagine that the better team "doesn't need" luck or that luck only benefits the underdog and that when the better team wins "it's all skill", and so fortrh.

Good luck is when your measured results exceed your expected results; bad luck is when your measured results are less than your expected results. And this isn't some nitpicky nerd definition, but a significant one that is vital in understanding how "breaks even out" in the long run.

So yes, we got lucky. Less lucky than Minnesota would have been if they had won, but we got lucky all the same.
I don't disagree, but I like to view things more statistically... based on how the two teams performed and the balance of shots and scoring chances for and against, and that the Jets have more scoring talent, the Jets were "expected" to win. The Jets didn't need "luck" to win that game, but I agree that they could have lost the game due to some "bad luck". That happens frequently in the NHL. I guess the way of thinking of this statistically is to imagine that both teams had an equal amount of "luck"... in that case, the Jets are the team that would win.

Some of this is semantics... imagine if Cherry had said "the Wild were unlucky to lose the game". That would have sounded a bit strange to anyone who watched or analyzed the game, I think.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
After reviewing the game tape the Jets determine that the Wild really were targeting some of our players, what's our response next game? Do we target some of their key players. Or do we punish the ones that are targeting us?
Maybe I'm being naive, but do teams deliberately target players' injuries in an attempt to aggravate or injure to take a player out of the series?

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Impressed with the poise and confidence the Jets showed in game 1. Well most of them! Ears are still ringing. Shout-out to the two dudes in Wild home sweaters who drove in for the game. walking thru the upper concourse like they owned it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
After reviewing the game tape the Jets determine that the Wild really were targeting some of our players, what's our response next game? Do we target some of their key players. Or do we punish the ones that are targeting us?
Maybe I'm being naive, but do teams deliberately target players' injuries in an attempt to aggravate or injure to take a player out of the series?
Simple... keep scoring more goals for three more games and move on.

I think the Wild see their best chance is getting the Jets into an unnecessary bunch of physical altercations, and penalty trouble. If the Jets get more PPs than the Wild, they are going to be in very good shape.

Reactions: thereturn

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Interesting. I guess things haven’t changed that much over the decades. There’s always one. So where was this guy in the pic from last night? What section?[/QUO

Looks like that is Terri Apostle over 4 to the right same row, I love her:)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think the Jets played ok... Not great... Certainly not bad... But ok...

But.. Still out shot the Wild 2 to 1 and after Minny scored the 2 1 goal... Jets dominated. Minny had 1 shot on goal in the last 12 or so minutes of the game.

So... We all know they could be better but they were good enough. I honestly think nerves were on display a bit at times last night... But i think winning the game will calm those nerves. And the Jets will show up next game and dominate even more.

Lets be honest tho... If not for Dubnyk who made prob 5 huge saves... Its 7 maybe 8 2.

If Minny got the goaltending Philly got last night... Jets put up 10.

Reactions: DRW204

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Lol at anyone claiming stats "interfered" on Laine's goal.

Seriously, the Wild Dman was going for a hit There, not stats.

If anything interference on Minny.

I think he was trying to tackle him for a loss and make the Jets be 2nd and long. Seriously If the Vikes could tackle as good as the Wild... Super Bowl champs

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Good win! Watching former Hab Joe Morrow with the GWG was epic shot. Sad we traded him but hoping jets go all the way!

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Really fine with Rosie in next game over Perrault. Perrault did not amaze. Armia had his best chance with Copp and little. Expected another gear from Perrault and did not see it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Simple... keep scoring more goals for three more games and move on.

I think the Wild see their best chance is getting the Jets into an unnecessary bunch of physical altercations, and penalty trouble. If the Jets get more PPs than the Wild, they are going to be in very good shape.

The one guy they have to worry about being targeted is Hellebuyck. I don’t really know how they counter that other than complaining profusely to the league and refs. Thought it was ridiculous they picked the Byfuglien punch as the only penalty all night out of those scrums and goalie frog splashes. They can’t seriously allow 6-7 games of that, and I’m saying the Jets deserved some penalties too.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The one guy they have to worry about being targeted is Hellebuyck. I don’t really know how they counter that other than complaining profusely to the league and refs. Thought it was ridiculous they picked the Byfuglien punch as the only penalty all night out of those scrums and goalie frog splashes. They can’t seriously allow 6-7 games of that, and I’m saying the Jets deserved some penalties too.

#playoffhockey

Refs decide they can't affect the game, and by doing so affect the game, minimizing the speed and skill that makes hockey great to watch.

NHL needs to have a serious discussion with their referees about what their job is, and it's not to let players get away with murder because "WE WANNA LET PLAYERS DECIDE THE GAME!" But that's a long term conversation, not a short term fix.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
#playoffhockey

Refs decide they can't affect the game, and by doing so affect the game, minimizing the speed and skill that makes hockey great to watch.

NHL needs to have a serious discussion with their referees about what their job is, and it's not to let players get away with murder because "WE WANNA LET PLAYERS DECIDE THE GAME!" But that's a long term conversation, not a short term fix.

Zero tolerance on goalies, particularly somewhat intentional contact, should be a pretty simple line to draw. Really any defenceless player, kind of like the QB looking downfield in the pocket the goalie isn’t looking for who might be running him or dive bombing him as he covers the puck. It’s one thing to poke a stick in there for a loose puck, but guys piling on the goalie should be automatic.

I always think in the playoffs (in many sports really) officials go so far down the path of letting things go that their level playing field instincts make it hard for them to make any calls, lest they be inconsistent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
#playoffhockey

...except that they called a really weak penalty on Buff over a minor scuffle. It's hard not to think that there's a clear anti-Buff bias when it comes to scrums, etc.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad