Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 period not enough lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Vegas is licking their chops.

3 - 0 record. Already +9 goal differential.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that was the first game where they couldn't maintain a strong start. These games happen so not too concerned on the overall play. My biggest concern is still on goal scoring. This is now two games where we've really struggled to score. Tonight there wasn't anywhere near enough slot looks. That was the difference Imo, LA got to the slot for their good looks and ours where from too far out for the most part. Still would like to see some better schemes in the ozone. Still too much in terms of getting the puck to the point with traffic. We need to start breaking teams down in the ozone to open up slot looks. Just look at what LA did to us tonight.

Helle was Hung out to dry a bit tonight but he still hasn't been close to his usual self so far. Get Brossoit in next game and get him some time with Flaherty to reset.

JoMo/DeMelo: A rare off game by JoMo. He wasn't as sharp managing the puck resulting in some turnovers and he wasn't able to break LA down offensively. DeMelo was ok.

Pionk/Snerg: Snerg also had an off game in his end. Pionk was solid jumping in but needs to cash more. He was meh in his end per usual.

Dillion/Schmidt: A rough night for both. Wish Ville wasn't hurt and was able to get these reps.

Top line: They started well but really sagged after Vilardi's injury. He's very important to that line as he does most of the defensive and offensive board work heavy lifting. Both of which are extremely important to that line gaining control. Conner was invisible tonight. I thought Mark did what he could and was working hard both ways but they just couldn't muster sustained pressure the last 40.

Second line: I thought Cole really started to show flashes of what he can be as a top 6 center. Really started controlling the play through the nz and in the ozone. I liked that he looked to shoot more as it will open up more options for him. Defensively he was solid outside his mistake. A good lesson for a young center that all it takes is one botched clear attempt for it to end up in your net. Nino was good tonight and him and Cole looked a lot more in sync. Ehlers still looks quite off to me. Hopefully he starts clicking soon as we need his offense. One thing I'll say is that while line two controlled the play much more in the offensive end the trio still hasn't figured out its spacing. There were many times where they were too bunched or a bit unsure of where to go but a step in the right direction for them. They will start to score if they keep getting the looks they are getting.

Third line: Thought this group had a rare off game in their end. Had a couple of good looks though. Still don't see why Appelton is on the third. I see a number of better options especially if the goal is to get more offense from that group. Lowry is playing well as is Iafallo.

Kupari had another solid showing but my main concern is in terms of his ability to read off of good players. He's good at making things happen for himself but I question whether he can play effectively with skilled players. But I think he should be given a shot if Vilarid is out for a while. Would have been nice if he cashed that feed Cole gave him in alone in the second. Barron was solid as was Name.

Anyhow my bet is they are highly motivated for Vegas on Thursday.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I can't imagine many fans paying to watch a rebuilding team either.

It's October, it's home game 2. I think they'll turn their play around and fans will gradually get back.

The fact they were unable to come close to selling out a home opener and then were almost 4000 tickets short of a sellout in game 2 is a problem. It's really bad if you can't sell out a home opener.

Today was the lowest attended game in Jets 2.0 history excluding the COVID restrictions games.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The fact they were unable to come close to selling out a home opener and then were almost 4000 tickets short of a sellout in game 2 is a problem. It's really bad if you can't sell out a home opener.
if we are winning fans will come back

Reactions: ERYX

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
if we are winning fans will come back
You say that but this is literally the worst attendance has ever been, today was the worst attendance in Jets 2.0 history other than COVID restricted games and it's only the 2nd game of the year. Weekday games once it gets cold out could get real ugly real fast.

Reactions: Cypruss

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I can't imagine many fans paying to watch a rebuilding team either.

It's October, it's home game 2. I think they'll turn their play around and fans will gradually get back.
At least rebuilding shows that they care. Year after year of this just shows us they don’t care, happy being a bubble team that maybe gets 2 home playoff games a year.

Reactions: Fairview

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kings frustrated the Jets (and their fans) tonight - they know how to button things down.
On to the next one

The team needs to figure out that 1-3-1. I think this is where better breakouts from the D would help get the speed necessary to break it down.

• Love
Reactions: AlaskaJet

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You say that but this is literally the worst attendance has ever been, today was the worst attendance in Jets 2.0 history other than COVID restricted games.
ok? so because today was bad that means fans won't come back?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Ok it's better than worst run franchise. That's the bar?

Their new lounge in the 100s is pretty dope tho.
Did you see the Buffalo game lower bowl was 50 % empty, young and coming team can't attract fans against the Bolts, at least for the Jets the money seats in the lower bowl were mostly full. This is something that we haven't seen since the team came back but other teams have low attendance during perceived down years. Luckily 11k looks better in a 15k arena that it does in a 18k arena

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
find out in the morning about vilardi -bowness

The fact that its still undetermined seems like good news..

Its better than..

1697598382808.gif

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
ok? so because today was bad that means fans won't come back?
Attendance is dropping year over year. There is nothing to base your opinion that it's going to improve on other than hope.

There is no guarantee that they will be a much better team than last year and if not selling out a Saturday home opener isn't a major red flag for you then you have your head buried deep in the sand.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You say that but this is literally the worst attendance has ever been, today was the worst attendance in Jets 2.0 history other than COVID restricted games.

Yeah, I wonder why that is. The team crashed and burned two years in a row and we are in the midst of a sustained period of hyper inflation where many people are struggling. So a number of things impacting how many butts are in the seats. The economy will normalize at some point, and if the org can show the fans they have a product to rally behind then people will go back. My God it seems like some didn't think this org would have rough patches financially. Every team in this league has had them including massive markets like Chicago. Periods like now are exactly why TNSE has significantly diversified their revenue streams.

As the Bombers down the road show, you put a good product out and fun experience and you will rack in cash.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Did you see the Buffalo game lower bowl was 50 % empty, young and coming team can't attract fans against the Bolts, at least for the Jets the money seats in the lower bowl were mostly full. This is something that we haven't seen since the team came back but other teams have low attendance during perceived down years. Luckily 11k looks better in a 15k arena that it does in a 18k arena
I am sure someone has the %'s of capacity handy including tonight's game.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Not much to say about that game, other than I hope Vilardi is okay. I give the game one PLD out of five...

giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Golden Showers has been posted and is ready for your guesses. Thanks again @SUX2BU for making the GDT for tonight's game. I have the honour of making the next one on Thursday, so see you then...:thumbu:

Reactions: SUX2BU and Jets 31

None

Feb 22, 2012
Wouldn't surprise me if Stanley is in next game. Not with any proper justification, just a feeling.

Feel like Vegas is basically just the Kings but better.

• Wow
Reactions: AlaskaJet

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Attendance is dropping year over year. There is nothing to base your opinion that it's going to improve on other than hope.

There is no guarantee that they will be a much better team than last year and if not selling out a Saturday home opener isn't a major red flag for you then you have your head buried deep in the sand.
covid + inflation + team performance were the major issues of attendance, nothing but doom and gloom to base your opinion on fans not coming back even if we start winning

Reactions: bustamente and None

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Maybe my bias is showing but it was one of those games where the bounces where not going the Jet's way. The Jets could have had 3 goals right of the bat with any kind of luck. The way the bounces were going I'm surprised the puck went to Scheifele on his goal.
Vilardi injury screwed up the lines and the refs sure didn't help but give credit to LA they played a perfect trap game once they got the lead.
I'm really starting to notice Schimdt and Dillion being the weakest link.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad