Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maroon was more effective w/ McDavid. At some point JP has to start producing like a top 6 forward in order to stay a top 6 forward

That line can't go on being dogsh** 5v5 before Tippett has to make some changes

5 points in 10 games since moving up to the top 6 is decent enough production out of him. Actually right in line with what Maroon was doing in his 2 seasons on McDavid's wing.

If we had a better option to move into the top 6 sure. But we aren't exactly flush with quality right wingers. His production in the top 6 is as good as Yamamoto's. And Kassian a) is injured and b) had ample opportunity to start the year and did less with the chance than Puljujarvi has.

Who would you like to see replace him?

Archibald has had some decent success at times with McDavid, but over time last year he ended up being a huge drag whenever Connor played with him.

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
5 points in 10 games since moving up to the top 6 is decent enough production out of him. Actually right in line with what Maroon was doing in his 2 seasons on McDavid's wing.

If we had a better option to move into the top 6 sure. But we aren't exactly flush with quality right wingers. His production in the top 6 is as good as Yamamoto's. And Kassian a) is injured and b) had ample opportunity to start the year and did less with the chance than Puljujarvi has.

Who would you like to see replace him?

Archibald has had some decent success at times with McDavid, but over time last year he ended up being a huge drag whenever Connor played with him.
Yamamoto is the obvious answer if you look at style of plays.
Yama has looked dangerous the odd times he gets a shift with McD or Nuge.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yamamoto is the obvious answer if you look at style of plays.
Yama has looked dangerous the odd times he gets a shift with McD or Nuge.
Sure. But that's just shuffling him to the Draisaitl line. That isn't taking him out of the top 6.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Sure. But that's just shuffling him to the Draisaitl line. That isn't taking him out of the top 6.
And why are we taking him out of top 6 again? At ES, Puljujarvi is generating more offense than anyone not McDrai.
He likes to receive puck on the fly like McDavid and thats where Drai is a better match for him.

As for his +/-, not sure why its a factor considering our goalteding and defense. How many of these minuses was Pulju screwing up defensively?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And why are we taking him out of top 6 again? At ES, Puljujarvi is generating more offense than anyone not McDrai.
He likes to receive puck on the fly like McDavid and thats where Drai is a better match for him.

As for his +/-, not sure why its a factor considering our goalteding and defense. How many of these minuses was Pulju screwing up defensively?
Not sure. Was just responding to the poster who was suggesting that he needs to produce more to remain in the top 6.

Reactions: nabob and LTIR

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maroon was more effective w/ McDavid. At some point JP has to start producing like a top 6 forward in order to stay a top 6 forward

You were saying??

And again you blame Pulju instead of putting any blame on the two 1st overall picks who play on that line.

Pulju has 10x more chemistry with Connor than Nuge does. Nuge is the weak link and the 3rd wheel on that line.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Another nice goal tonight. All of the ones he's scored so far have been beauties.

6 points in 11 games on the top line. Honestly blowing my expectations out of the water so far.

Yeah all I was expecting was a slightly less Bambi version of him who would occasionally make a nice pass or stick check. Instead he’s a beast on skates who has sniped a few and made numerous great passes. Definitely room for improvement in his tight spaces games (maybe shorter stick?) but he’s blown every expectation away.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah all I was expecting was a slightly less Bambi version of him who would occasionally make a nice pass or stick check. Instead he’s a beast on skates who has sniped a few and made numerous great passes. Definitely room for improvement in his tight spaces games (maybe shorter stick?) but he’s blown every expectation away.
I really do think a big aspect of it is confidence. No question he improved his puck skills to some degree, but his puck control has improved substantially from the first few games of the season compared to his promotion into the top 6. When Jesse is playing confident his puck control is a non issue, he makes consistent good plays, and dazzles with his skating, puck entry, underrated passing, and relentless forecheck.

Quite frankly I think he's been extremely unlucky on the production side of things. He's creating far more than his point indicate and the goals and points are starting to come. 4 goals and 5 points in his last 6. He's set up some beauties and has just missed on some beauties as well. I still think eventually he needs to be cast better on the PP as the left circle option, but I'd definitely like to see him get more reps as the net front presence in the meantime. Nothing wrong with him developing his net front skill set to add another dimension to his goal scoring.

That goal tonight was absolutely filthy though. Great placement, wicked fast release, and a lot of velocity on it. Helle didn't even move on it. This is my favourite view of his goal from tonight (2nd video)

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Another rock-solid performance from Jesse. He'll be finishing a lot of breakaway snipes assisted by McDavid next few years. Great speed, great wrister. Laughable that couple of posters are trying to argue he hasn't been playing top6 worthy.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
That goal tonight was absolutely filthy though. Great placement, wicked fast release, and a lot of velocity on it. Helle didn't even move on it. This is my favourite view of his goal from tonight (2nd video)

That's a great view! You can really analyze Jesse's shooting mechanism from this video. If you look closely, he snaps that shot with the toe of the blade which throws Hellebuyck off completely. He seems to be expecting the puck to go somewhere else. Only after it's past him does he realize where the shot actually went. If he can manage to shoot these deceptive snap shots with this kind of accuracy more, he'll score in bunches.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
He’s still not 100% comfortable by my eye, he’s really quick to defer under pressure, but I’m confident that’ll come as he starts to realize how good he can be at this level.

loving his game, and am so happy to see him succeeding. I’ve been a huge JP supporter from day 1, but I can’t lie, all the yakupov comparisons thrown around since he left started to worry me that I was missing something about his game that was clearly an issue and wouldn’t translate.

Couldn’t be happier for him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think if you ignore his last nagging injury year prior to Finland, and you take his play in Finland, this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. A solid 2 way top 9 winger.

Now it's just a matter of if he can adjust/develope in the NHL to take another step and maybe... just maybe... become more of the player the vast majority projected him to be predraft.

I think the smart money is on his getting better it's just a matter of how much.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Another rock-solid performance from Jesse. He'll be finishing a lot of breakaway snipes assisted by McDavid next few years. Great speed, great wrister. Laughable that couple of posters are trying to argue he hasn't been playing top6 worthy.
I still think Drai is the better C for him springing him on breakaways.
McD should be the one receiving these passes with speed and not the one making them on his line.
Pulju certainly has the speed and size to beast through the defenders and enough skill to snipe these home.

Reactions: dawunderboy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

So 4 goals and 5 points in the last 6 games isn't enough? Even if you posted this before the game last night, 3 goals and 4 points in the 5 games previous not to mention tons of opportunities to put up more goals and points. I mean, come on. What more can you expect from him?

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you who aren't fans of his to admit that he's playing at a high level. It's blatantly obvious.
Consistency will be the key going forward but man, this guy is flourishing right now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You were saying??

And again you blame Pulju instead of putting any blame on the two 1st overall picks who play on that line.

Pulju has 10x more chemistry with Connor than Nuge does. Nuge is the weak link and the 3rd wheel on that line

Eh, I don't know. Nuge has really picked up his play the last few games. The entire line is dominating recently, picking up the slack from the Draisaitl line which has struggled the last few.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Holland's best move since becoming GM may have been the move nobody expected to impact the team. Honestly his stubbornness may have paid off huge considering 99% of the fans and likely OBC wanted him to be history.

I went from disliking him to liking him again. This crow is tasting delicious.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't agree. Puljujarvi does best in chaos, and McDavid's playstyle suits that better than Draisaitl's more methodical approach.
When it comes to McDavid's search for his best winger, Puljujarvi is the only one on the club who checks all the boxes for skill, size, speed and dynamism.

except it is not the case thus far. Most if not all of Puljujarvi's points have been off of rushes where he had the speed coming into the zone. Drai can find him with those passes from the neutral zone. Also chaos = Yamamoto . The guy has worked well with Nuge in past and would compliment McDavid nicely. We have guys excelling individually and not as a line. Yama was a tenacious beast last night but most of his chaos was individual effort. Only working line we have had this season is Ennis-Khaira-Archi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad