Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
5 points in 10 games since moving up to the top 6 is decent enough production out of him. Actually right in line with what Maroon was doing in his 2 seasons on McDavid's wing.

If we had a better option to move into the top 6 sure. But we aren't exactly flush with quality right wingers. His production in the top 6 is as good as Yamamoto's. And Kassian a) is injured and b) had ample opportunity to start the year and did less with the chance than Puljujarvi has.

Who would you like to see replace him?

Archibald has had some decent success at times with McDavid, but over time last year he ended up being a huge drag whenever Connor played with him.

If he was playing on the 1st PP unit you could easily add more points to that total. 5 even strength points in 10 games is pretty good production.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Would like to see him on the PP in Chaissons net front spot. Would be great to have him get even more confidence from our strong PP. Hes got good puck skills to handle the puck and move it around

Ideally, sometime in the future we try an umbrella with him in the "Oveckin spot". Hes got a pretty wicked one timer and having that as an option would make the PP even more deadly. We shouldnt swithc up the PP now, but whenever it cools down, that could be a trial run

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really don't get why people want him off of McDavid's line. He gets open for shooting opportunities and then if the pass doesn't come he books it to the front of the goal to screen the goalie, tip shots or retrieve the puck. People saying that Yamamoto should be on that line don't realize just how much room Jesse's size, speed and effort opens up for Connor and Nuge. Yamamoto is big on effort, but he can't move bodies the way that Jesse can. We've all been talking about Holloway as Connor's future LW, maybe he's Drai's instead?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Would like to see him on the PP in Chaissons net front spot. Would be great to have him get even more confidence from our strong PP. Hes got good puck skills to handle the puck and move it around

Ideally, sometime in the future we try an umbrella with him in the "Oveckin spot". Hes got a pretty wicked one timer and having that as an option would make the PP even more deadly. We shouldnt swithc up the PP now, but whenever it cools down, that could be a trial run

Jesse and Bouch to the top PP = profit.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I really don't get why people want him off of McDavid's line. He gets open for shooting opportunities and then if the pass doesn't come he books it to the front of the goal to screen the goalie, tip shots or retrieve the puck. People saying that Yamamoto should be on that line don't realize just how much room Jesse's size, speed and effort opens up for Connor and Nuge. Yamamoto is big on effort, but he can't move bodies the way that Jesse can. We've all been talking about Holloway as Connor's future LW, maybe he's Drai's instead?

I don't know if the right word is "people" or "a person" :) And I don't mean this against anyone, everyone has a right for his/her opinion, but unless I've missed something (which is possible) it's been just one person saying that.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

97s line with JP has been one of the best performing lines in the NHL since they got put together. They were generating boat loads of chances and caving alot of teams in. Initially, the bounces werent going their way. However I think now the puck luck is returning to normal, and even if they just get average puck luck, theyll be potting A LOT of goals. And if that line gets puck luck in their favour, my god there will be some blow out games

Regardless, 97 has his best linemates hes ever had (by the numbers). That line needs to be left together for the rest of the season. The only downside is that it likely means RNHs contract demand increases and JP gets claimed by Seattle (if exposed)

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Makes too much sense. Hell, I'd even be okay with Bear over Bouchard, but Barrie is just doing too much of what I dislike about Nuge/Mcd/Drai on the PP in always looking for the cute play.

I still think we have the manpower for 2 separate units with Drai and/or Mcdavid on both.

Mcdavid JP Drai
Bouchard Nuge

Mcdavid Yam Drai
Barrie Nurse

A good mix of shooters and passers on each

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s been a treat watching the new Jesse. He looks like he could absolutely explode offensively at any moment. There aren’t many players with his size, even fewer who can skate like that, and fewer still who have an absolute rocket of a shot. I like that he’s starting to throw his weight around a bit too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Having to righties with great shots adds a ton to our PP that weve never had. Made even better by the fact that our 3 best PP playermakers (McDavid, Drai and RNH) are lefties who operate off the right wall.

PK units having to fear McDrai off the half wall already and now adding a one time threat- woof

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Holland's best move since becoming GM may have been the move nobody expected to impact the team. Honestly his stubbornness may have paid off huge considering 99% of the fans and likely OBC wanted him to be history.

I went from disliking him to liking him again. This crow is tasting delicious.

There were one or two.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If there's one thing I sorta hope JP develops, its a mean streak. Not necessary but guy is usually the biggest on the ice. If he develops one, watch out. haha just plow through everyone ala Lindros

Reactions: gordonhught

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If there's one thing I sorta hope JP develops, its a mean streak. Not necessary but guy is usually the biggest on the ice. If he develops one, watch out. haha just plow through everyone ala Lindros

I don't think there's a mean bone in his body.... but that doesn't mean he can't use his big body to his advantage and hit pple

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I think he's been outstanding there and everything you said is bang on. I think Puljujarvi presents a 2 on 1 option for McDavid on the rush he's never had but starting to get used to and liking. At first he seemed surprised by Puljujarvi's ability to keep up and not just defer to him but as we saw last night he's starting to find him breaking in on the rush instead of the other way around like with every other player. Still I'd be fine if Tippett switched him and Yamamoto as I think Puljujarvi would be fine with Draisaitl too. I think Yamamoto and Nuge work very well together and I think Yamamoto and Kahun are too similar to be ideal with Draisaitl as the line doesn't have a great North-South threat on the rush and can be boxed out of key areas like the net front. Puljujarvi's presence would add a lot to that line too IMO and might allow the team to get more out of it's other 3 top 6 wingers by creating more balanced trio's.

I do think Puljujarvi might just be the best winger for McDavid on the roster though in terms of compatible skillset but the greater good for me is having Nuge and Yamamoto together and some size+speed with Kahun-Draisaitl. Obviously reuniting DRY and putting Kahun with McDavid-Puljujarvi would be just fine by me, and likely 99% of the board too, but I don't see Tippett doing that. I think Nuge is likely to stay glued to McDavid's hip and as such any such switch up is likely to come on right wing. Nuge's value as a defensive conscious and outlet option for McDavid has been often overlooked and I think a big part of Tippets plan to utilize and free up McDavid offensively as best he can.

Also if I'm the Oilers I invest heavily in Holloway as a Center. The dude is a monster in the dot and has the physical ability to shut down anybody. The only thing that could make him more ideal as a 3C behind McDrai is if he was righty. I think with Kahun being Draisaitl's best friend and my internal hope for Nuge to be resigned I suspect the Oilers have their top 2 wingers for the foreseeable future on the roster already. What an outstanding turn of events for this prospect, I suspect in a redraft he may slip into the top 5 and I'm not joking. Jarvis who? lol (knock on wood, i'm just joking, please don't punish me hockey gods.)

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
People can write however much they want about splitting Puljujarvi and McDavid, but it won't stop being wrong.

You can go back to DRY in the hopes that their chemistry from last season continues, and then you do the classic rotating cast of LW for McDavid because, really, it doesn't matter that much. Do we see the Puljujarvi pass to RNH to snipe it the other night? No, but we probably see more than enough scoring from DRY to offset that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he's been outstanding there and everything you said is bang on. I think Puljujarvi presents a 2 on 1 option for McDavid on the rush he's never had but starting to get used to and liking. At first he seemed surprised by Puljujarvi's ability to keep up and not just defer to him but as we saw last night he's starting to find him breaking in on the rush instead of the other way around like with every other player. Still I'd be fine if Tippett switched him and Yamamoto as I think Puljujarvi would be fine with Draisaitl too. I think Yamamoto and Nuge work very well together and I think Yamamoto and Kahun are too similar to be ideal with Draisaitl as the line doesn't have a great North-South threat on the rush and can be boxed out of key areas like the net front. Puljujarvi's presence would add a lot to that line too IMO and might allow the team to get more out of it's other 3 top 6 wingers by creating more balanced trio's.

I do think Puljujarvi might just be the best winger for McDavid on the roster though in terms of compatible skillset but the greater good for me is having Nuge and Yamamoto together and some size+speed with Kahun-Draisaitl. Obviously reuniting DRY and putting Kahun with McDavid-Puljujarvi would be just fine by me, and likely 99% of the board too, but I don't see Tippett doing that. I think Nuge is likely to stay glued to McDavid's hip and as such any such switch up is likely to come on right wing. Nuge's value as a defensive conscious and outlet option for McDavid has been often overlooked and I think a big part of Tippets plan to utilize and free up McDavid offensively as best he can.

Also if I'm the Oilers I invest heavily in Holloway as a Center. The dude is a monster in the dot and has the physical ability to shut down anybody. The only thing that could make him more ideal as a 3C behind McDrai is if he was righty. I think with Kahun being Draisaitl's best friend and my internal hope for Nuge to be resigned I suspect the Oilers have their top 2 wingers for the foreseeable future on the roster already. What an outstanding turn of events for this prospect, I suspect in a redraft he may slip into the top 5 and I'm not joking. Jarvis who? lol (knock on wood, i'm just joking, please don't punish me hockey gods.)

Kahun looks no where like some slam dunk winger here, who cares if he if was friends with Draisaitl growing up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Actually the next thing he needs to work on bigtime is his forecheck/tie up. Bigman, gets there fast enough and consistently enough, but far too often concentrates on the player only and has no clue where the puck is or going.
He'll be far more successful when he adds looking down to find the puck in those situations.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Kahun looks no where like some slam dunk winger here, who cares if he if was friends with Draisaitl growing up.

Draisaitl does. The Oilers won't do him dirty. He got benched for making the same dumb mistake two shifts in a row with the second blunder losing them the game. Tippett had to set an example. Other than that the Oilers top 6 has looked more balanced than it has in years and is winning the game. Kahun is a RFA who the Oilers can get on a cost controlled contract and I suspect they do just that. I think the team has clearly shown they like him. There's no rational reason at this point to move on and it's fair to expect some demand from Draisaitl to play with him as they CLEARLY like to based on how they play. People are people and there are dynamics at play when dealing with franchise players that fans don't consider. I suspect those dynamics is why they didn't saddle a prodigy with the weight of the world on his shoulders in McDavid with shitty wingers in the play ins and broke up McDrai.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Nah.

Holloway-McDavid-Puljujarvi
DRY

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Actually the next thing he needs to work on bigtime is his forecheck/tie up. Bigman, gets there fast enough and consistently enough, but far too often concentrates on the player only and has no clue where the puck is or going.
He'll be far more successful when he adds looking down to find the puck in those situations.
His forecheck is probably the most improved aspect of his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulYou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->