Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He has 3 + 1 in last 5 games. How he managed to have only 2 assists in the games before that is a feat in itself, given how well he has played. He has been very unlucky this season and by that I don't mean only not being able to get points or goals, but also being on the ice for a lot of goals against that he has had nothing to do with. His PDO reflects that as well.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Jesse seemed to have a lot of scoring opportunities against Winnipeg, unlucky tonight. He seems to be able to make himself open for passes very well, and can also generate changes by himself. Sky is the ceiling.

Interesting that while Jesse had a monster night, and Yamamoto played like shit, Yamamoto was the one on the ice in the closing minutes, and Jesse was glued to the bench. Why Tippett, why?

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Jesse seemed to have a lot of scoring opportunities against Winnipeg, unlucky tonight. He seems to be able to make himself open for passes very well, and can also generate changes by himself. Sky is the ceiling.

Interesting that while Jesse had a monster night, and Yamamoto played like shit, Yamamoto was the one on the ice in the closing minutes, and Jesse was glued to the bench. Why Tippett, why?
I guess it was because Yamamoto had scored earlier in the game, just like Chiasson who was also on the ice during the last minutes.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

JP almost had a beauty, but the puck hit the butt end of Hellebuyck's stick without Hellebuyck really even moving. That first line has been snake bitten. They really could have a dozen more goals this year with any luck.

Reactions: PulYou and LTIR

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I've had my doubts but I'm coming around on Jesse. The effort level has never been a problem for me - it's always been the lack of awareness and poor puckhandling/execution, which he seems to actually be turning around.

He's been making some crisp passes and is starting to make a lot of the right plays on the ice. Hope his upward trend continues. He has been fun to watch.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Leon Draisaitl was dominant and deserved the Hart that he won last season and was -7. Stats without context are useless, which + / - often is
Ya I know how the +/- debate goes but it’s interesting how Turris gets ripped for his and when someone directs it somewhere else it’s a flawed stat.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Ya I know how the +/- debate goes but it’s interesting how Turris gets ripped for his and when someone directs it somewhere else it’s a flawed stat.
Despite numerous changes in linemates/ice time/general usage the Turris line almost always gets caved in even before you factor in goals for or against. The same isn't happening with Puljujarvi, it's that simple

Reactions: PulYou and Oilhawks

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Despite numerous changes in linemates/ice time/general usage the Turris line almost always gets caved in even before you factor in goals for or against. The same isn't happening with Puljujarvi, it's that simple
Well according to what’s posted above Puli is -2 since going to McD’s line. Is this right?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Because when you look at all the stats surrounding +/- like Corsi, Fenwick, PDO, xGoals, HDCF and everything else, you can see that Turris has been ineffective while Puljujarvi has been unlucky.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Because when you look at all the stats surrounding +/- like Corsi, Fenwick, PDO, xGoals, HDCF and everything else, you can see that Turris has been ineffective while Puljujarvi has been unlucky.
Puli has been unlucky and I think some goals will come. Like I said he’s definitely a spark plug, just needs more time.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Puli has been unlucky and I think some goals will come. Like I said he’s definitely a spark plug, just needs more time.

I think the thing with Pulj is that he will always be a "bit unlucky", just due to the fact that he doesn't have a lot of finish to his game (sorry, couldn't resist the pun). He isn't a sniper and isn't that accurate with his shot. He will generate goals by taking lots of shots, not by capitalizing on a high % of his chances. This is one of the reasons I'd like to see McDavid shoot more, because he *does* have a lethal shot. Pulj has been great really though, can't ask a whole lot more from him at this stage.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Pulju is no honey badger but would work better with a player like Drai than McDavid.
I don't agree. Puljujarvi does best in chaos, and McDavid's playstyle suits that better than Draisaitl's more methodical approach.

When it comes to McDavid's search for his best winger, Puljujarvi is the only one on the club who checks all the boxes for skill, size, speed and dynamism.

Reactions: McOilers97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad