Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It is not the successes that McDavid is unhappy with. He is a winner, a composed guy, and the premier forward in the League today. As I see it, this incident seems very uncharacteristic for him and I find it difficult, based on his history, to chalk it up simply to frustration from the series going poorly. I could be wrong. My views on Drai are not related to this discssuion, but I shall simply say: if he could return a Barkov, such a trade would boost the franchise to a whole new level.

Yeah, they should totally start a reverse paperclip trade, all due respect to Barkov (who is a great player but will never win a Hart or Art Ross).

Also:

xas1zWiNnnkozl9u0NxNIguVNJ5tUHvuX7sQhd8EJPOKNY_Fn6Hl34lfF7xsn1Oof98zt_LJAiPIk4x8yGOUs_BiSP25lA77cY9wUeNh4fl5YzYS

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I was able to grab a gif. It was shown in a game highlight package of McDavid during the scrape stoppage midway through the first OT. McDavid says something to Jesse and then "my bad."

y9oafHj.gif

Thank You for finding this. We all understand that the pressure was huge and one says things in the heat of the moment one regrets later.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Well, this confirms McDavid lost his temper and said Pulju things that he later regretted. Guess I was right, and the majority of frequent posters was wrong:sarcasm:

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I think the best thing for McDavid and Oilers would be to bring in a highly respected veteran via free agency, and make him captain of the team. Just like Leafs did. Captain who can't control his emotions is not an ideal captain, and McDavid has enough on his plate already.

Last edited:

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
It was frustration in the moment. Big deal. I’m pretty certain Jesse knows he has to make those short passes off the half boards quicker and more precisely (it’s been one of his weaknesses this season). It was a high pressure game and McDavid was absolutely flying when he was looking for that pass. It’s hockey. They’ll get over it.

Looking for Jesse to take another big step this off season. Having his mix of size and skill and tenacity is key, especially come playoffs. He had a terrific season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well, this confirms McDavid lost his temper and said Pulju things that he later regretted. Guess I was right, and the majority of frequent posters was wrong:sarcasm:

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I think the best thing for McDavid and Oilers would be to bring in a highly respected veteran via free agency, and make him captain of the team. Just like Leafs did. Captain who can't control his emotions is not an ideal captain, and McDavid has enough on his plate already.
There is no chance the Oilers take the captaincy away from McDavid. It would be an insanely poor move. The guy is as respected as anyone in the league.

space321

May 11, 2011

are you trolling lol, stripping McDavid of the captaincy is Pejorative Slured

Reactions: nabob

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Can we focus on Jesse and discuss McDavid elsewhere? There is a new longer interview with him, didn't listen to it yet, but possibly of interest. Maybe somebody has time to listen and translate it in case it has any interesting tidbits.

403 – Not Available

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I dont know. its good when a leader shows some engagement, dont you think. Then I also do t know if Jwsse is the smartest and aware player out there on the ice? And that sequence when he yells, isnt that adressed to Guluzan?

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Genuinely curious to see what you guys think his upside long term is after this season. Does he have the IQ and tools to be a 70pt player in his prime?? Or more of a puck retrieval/chaos creator that can play up and down the lineup?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Need someone to translate
Mainly it was about his life in NA, his dog, who are his best friends on the team (he mentioned Koskinen, Chiasson and Neal), how he sees his game has evolved (going to the net, being hard on pucks)... It was a pretty relaxed interview. They asked him about what he had watched recently on Netflix (he said he hd just finished watching The Innocent - maybe now that he can communicate in English he is looking to add Spanish to his repertoire as well :sarcasm:). That's pretty much what I remember about the interview, a few hours after listening.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Stripping the captaincy off a player almost never ends well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

God this is so dumb.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe they should bring in a highly respected veteran via free agency like Andrew Ference for the job.
I think they should bring a highly respected veteran to maybe help the leadership core grow and learn a bit. Like a Matt Hendricks or Mike Smith

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think they should bring a highly respected veteran to maybe help the leadership core grow and learn a bit. Like a Matt Hendricks or Mike Smith

A guy who has been there before, who knows how to get his nose dirty.

I'm speaking of course of Milan Lucic.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
Mainly it was about his life in NA, his dog, who are his best friends on the team (he mentioned Koskinen, Chiasson and Neal), how he sees his game has evolved (going to the net, being hard on pucks)... It was a pretty relaxed interview. They asked him about what he had watched recently on Netflix (he said he hd just finished watching The Innocent - maybe now that he can communicate in English he is looking to add Spanish to his repertoire as well :sarcasm:). That's pretty much what I remember about the interview, a few hours after listening.
Sounds like he'll have to find new best friends next season...all 3 of those guys are likely gone

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Yo, I don't think we have seen the final form of Puljujarvi. He's going to keep growing in confidence, he should be proud and build on the year he had.
If he can balance offence with his power forward potential. I can't see why he can't be a point per game player.
He has the confidence, he just needs more seasoning.
Definitely rooting for him!!

space321

May 11, 2011
Puljujarvi will definitely be a huge part of this team going forward. Whether is on McDavid or Draisaitl's wing, or as the driving force on his own line (which I think he can pull off if given some half decent skilled linemates so like not Khaira or Turris, but more like a Granlund/Haula type?).

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was able to grab a gif. It was shown in a game highlight package of McDavid during the scrape stoppage midway through the first OT. McDavid says something to Jesse and then "my bad."

y9oafHj.gif

what a player. And what a human being. McDavid will win us a Cup cause he deserves it. And Jesse will be riding shotgun.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The whole issue was due to Jesse having a Donair Pizza from Royal Pizza before the game. Gave him really bad gas. McDavid was yelling at Jesse that is he had to fart that he should do it on the ice instead of the bench, he then moved away from Jesse because it smelt so bad. The “my bad” later on was McDavid apologizing for letting one rip himself while on the bench.

Mystery solved.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

You're either purposely looking for a certain response or you truly are new to competitive sports.
There's no way you can be this clueless in this day and age of sports coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad