Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I think that's stretching things just to create something that isn't there.

Either way, even if he was shouting at Jesse, to me it doesn't look like it at all with considering where he's looking and Gulutzan, Jesse's reactions but even if he was, so what? That kind if stuff happens in games. This is just people trying to create some sort of narrative around McDavid because he failed to drag this fairly limited roster to the second round.

Yeah he wasn't playing at the, very high, top of his game and still needs to figure out how to approach playoff hockey to get the most out if his qualities but I just don't see the point in questioning his character.

Anyway this is Jesse's thread. Great season from him followed by a strong showing in the playoffs. He's clearly part of the solution going forward.
Yup you can literally even see Gulutzan leaning down to hear McDavid better. I'm sure McDavid was angry about something, frustrating series, but people are really grasping at straws if they think he was lashing out at Jesse.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

That's a different clip. There was another one where he and Pooly were definitely having an animated discussion with each other. Del Preston had a bit of that clip in another thread. Just the heat of the moment in an elimination game. Hopefully nothing much and they move forward.

Any lip readers here?

OguCA9c.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Good reclaimation season by JP.

I was one of the guys screaming the entire time to keep him throughout his entire ordeal in Finland.

That said, he needs to take another step. If this is the best we ever see of JP I'll still be disappointed. I want to see way more assertiveness, and stop deferring to Connor.

I want him to be able to score 20 goals on his own line if need be, or be the havoc-creator on McDavids line flirting with 30 Goals.

I also didn't like seeing the regression in Yamamoto's game, want to see him come back stronger and better next year. 1 Apple in 8 playoff games isn't going to cut it.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
For what it's worth, the broadcast later showed McDavid sitting next to Jesse on the bench and saying, "My bad." No clue if it was related or not.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. McDavid was fired up tonight and trying to get the team going as seen in another clip of him skating down the bench talking to everyone.

Is there a clip of teh apology anywhere?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If anything it seems fairly clear it was a conversation between him and the coach. This event got way overblown lol
Sportsnet ran with it being Connor yelling at Jesse and a bunch of the usual posters who never have anything good to say about Jesse flooded the GDT with posts about how Connor doesn’t want to play with Jesse and how they expect Jesse to leave back to Finland again lol.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So you really think that kind of behaviour from your captain is alright? Hard to understand how your captain loosing his temper and yelling like an idiot makes the team play better.
The only part of it that I didn’t like is that if McDavid is going to go off like that he needs to back it up. You can’t have a fit at a player because he missed you one time with a pass, and then make a brutal turnover leading to the game losing goal.

I actually liked seeing vocal McDavid

Reactions: Studz and PulYou

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Overall I was impressed with his season, still some improvements needed but time is on his side. I was a little puzzled as to why he was pulled off McD’s line last night, I think Tippett made a big mistake there

He looked good playing with Ennis and Haas. He got to drive the line. He almost scored the game winning goal too. They should of have more looks with eachother, but the season is over.

But if they wanted to win the game this was a bad desicion. Replacing him with Yamamoto was not a solution to win a game. But if this was what the captain wanted - You live and learn.

Reactions: Panda Bear

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Does anyone have a clip of the McDavid/Pulju incident? I missed all of regulation and some of the 1st OT. Hopefully it was just Connor blowing off some steam because of how frustrating the series has been. IMO Yamamoto brings nothing to that line.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Yeah, I think the experiment of Pulju on McDavid's wing is over at this point. We'll see if he can make things happen with a lesser center next year, hoping for the best. He surprised with his good efforts this year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I think the experiment of Pulju on McDavid's wing is over at this point. We'll see if he can make things happen with a lesser center next year, hoping for the best. He surprised with his good efforts this year.
Lol wut. Why is it over? If anything it'll be a staple for many many years moving forward.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Miss one pass and never gets to play with McDavid again lol. Man poster love to dive off the deep end.

funny thing is that Pulju started the play that led to McDavid’s first goal by hitting Connor in stride.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Miss one pass and never gets to play with McDavid again lol. Man poster love to dive off the deep end.

funny thing is that Pulju started the play that led to McDavid’s first goal by hitting Connor in stride.

When have we ever seen such fits from McDavid before? Of course, it could have all been in the heat of the moment but it seems there must have been a long build-up of frustration leading to such an uncharacteristic, never seen before outburst at a guy trying his all to avoid contact.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When have we ever seen such fits from McDavid before? Of course, it could have all been in the heat of the moment but it seems there must have been a long build-up of frustration leading to such an uncharacteristic, never seen before outburst at a guy trying his all to avoid contact.
Sorry thought I was replying to an Oilers fan, not just another poster doing a drive by.

It has always been known that Drai is not an elite player on his own, he relies a LOT on McDavid. He is good but not even near the level of guys like McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and such. Due to his incapability of driving his own line in the playoff meta, it is more prudent for the Oilers to keep them together and pray they just take over the game with a few goals and that'll do it.

Why are there so many trolls polluting this board lately.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Jesse had a good season and there's a higher ceiling yet. Would like to see him develop a bit of a mean streak when he's on the forecheck and use that size to make space.
All in all, one of the best surprises this year!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jesse Puljujarvi 1-0 Goal Vs Jets Playoffs Game 1 2021 - YouTube

Yeah, McDavid clearly hates Puljujarvi with all his guts.

You're clueless.

What a shocker that you posted this legendary fail in another thread.

"It has always been known that Drai is not an elite player on his own, he relies a LOT on McDavid. He is good but not even near the level of guys like McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and such. Due to his incapability of driving his own line in the playoff meta, it is more prudent for the Oilers to keep them together and pray they just take over the game with a few goals and that'll do it."

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Its pathetic when you have trolls coming here saying McDavid should be traded because of his outburst on Puljujarvi, or that Puljujarvi should request a trade.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Jesse Puljujarvi 1-0 Goal Vs Jets Playoffs Game 1 2021 - YouTube

Yeah, McDavid clearly hates Puljujarvi with all his guts.

You're clueless.

"

It is not the successes that McDavid is unhappy with. He is a winner, a composed guy, and the premier forward in the League today. As I see it, this incident seems very uncharacteristic for him and I find it difficult, based on his history, to chalk it up simply to frustration from the series going poorly. I could be wrong. My views on Drai are not related to this discssuion, but I shall simply say: if he could return a Barkov, such a trade would boost the franchise to a whole new level.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It is not the successes that McDavid is unhappy with. He is a winner, a composed guy, and the premier forward in the League today. As I see it, this incident seems very uncharacteristic for him and I find it difficult, based on his history, to chalk it up simply to frustration from the series going poorly. I could be wrong. My views on Drai are not related to this discssuion, but I shall simply say: if he could return a Barkov, such a trade would boost the franchise to a whole new level.
And why the f*** would the Florida Panthers trade away their captain?

As for Puljujärvi, I think he has the potential to basically be what Landeskog is in that Colorado 1st line. He grinds, makes room for the line, and can score when necessary. Still up for Edmonton to find that another piece next to McDavid. I don't think it should be Draisaitl, at least not in the long term.

Reactions: PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
So far it's been rather instances where McDavid seems to feel warm about Pulju, so even if his rant was towards Pulju it didn't really mean anything IMO. Those things happen.

McDavid had to feel a lot of pressure as his team's and his own playoffs weren't going as supposed. I do think the captain should try to avoid incidences like this and keeping ones head cool may make the performance better too. On the other hand I love to see some real passion there.

Good year from Pulju, next year he'll hopefully take another step and maybe start getting good PP usage. Here's some quick stats:

Pulju's goals/60 was the 3rd best of the team which is not bad considering everyone else in the top-5 got several times more PP time.

He was the 2nd of the team at even strength goals/60, which is also not too bad in a team with players like McDavid and Draisaitl.

Pulju's ES point totals were the 3rd best of the forwards.

He gave 101 hits, which was the 3rd highest of the forwards (after Archibald and Khaira). So lots of positives for next year, but still room to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad