Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This from coach Tippett:

"I think his smile is infectious," Head Coach Dave Tippett said. "He's smiling all the time and enjoying himself. That was a good moment for the guys. They put him in the middle, made him lead the stretch and they sang 'happy birthday' to him.
"Shows you how far he's come from where he was a few years ago."

And from McLeod:

"Everyone's super happy in the room and everyone's super nice to each other," McLeod said. "It's been super welcoming coming in and it's really nice that we did that for Jesse in the middle of the ice."

He is part of it, but to me this sounds we have quite mature team here. Very exciting!!!
From McLeods comments, it sounds like it's just been super!;)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From McLeods comments, it sounds like it's just been super!;)

McLeod seems to have come from the same throwback school as Ryan Smyth. Not much for the oratory.. Hopefully he can score some goals.

Pulju continues to be the 3rd best forward on this club. Being dominant out on the ice. Love having him up on the topline this season.

Everything is super. Almost time for supper.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another beautiful snipe tonight and involved in a lot of plays and playing hard. On first line and fully deserving it.

Nice story. Year ago things were uncertain for Pulju being here at all.

Year later he's being stapled to the best player in the world, having fun, and living the dream.

Best part is Jesse is earning this almost every night.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Another beautiful snipe tonight and involved in a lot of plays and playing hard. On first line and fully deserving it.

Nice story. Year ago things were uncertain for Pulju being here at all.

Year later he's being stapled to the best player in the world, having fun, and living the dream.

Best part is Jesse is earning this almost every night.
He might be a more important player than Nuge (who is useless as usual tonight). Which is incredible.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
He might be a more important player than Nuge (who is useless as usual tonight). Which is incredible.

I love Pulju so much, I loved him before and lost a big bet to Drivesaitl(who was kind enough to let me off the bet), this kid is amazing and you cant help but love him... loveable guy

now on to the more somber stuff. I can't find it in myself to be okay brining Nuge back at anything over 5.5 and i dont think that can happen unfortunately

space321

May 11, 2011
Remember when like 50 percent of this board was calling him a pos for going to Europe and hoping for his NHL demise.

What really gets me was the he wasn't even under contract. He didn't leave with 1 year left a la Radulov but people just couldn't pass up on the chance to make fun of and bully a 20 year old kid, and basically blamed everything on him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
McLeod seems to have come from the same throwback school as Ryan Smyth. Not much for the oratory.. Hopefully he can score some goals.

Pulju continues to be the 3rd best forward on this club. Being dominant out on the ice. Love having him up on the topline this season.

Everything is super. Almost time for supper.

Up until 10 games ago I was thinking that Puls had the speed and the physical play that would allow him to stay in the top 6 but he didn't have the finish to go with it.

Looks like I was wrong there-- his shot looks elite right now and man does he have a quick release.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Up until 10 games ago I was thinking that Puls had the speed and the physical play that would allow to stay in the top 6 but he didn't have the finish to go with it.

Looks like I was wrong there-- his shot looks elite right now and man does he have a quick release.

All his goals have come since Feb. In that time he has 15 goals in 41GP. Nice even 30G pace in that time span. Wouldn't bet against him getting around that next season.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
[
Up until 10 games ago I was thinking that Puls had the speed and the physical play that would allow to stay in the top 6 but he didn't have the finish to go with it.

I dont think he has a quick release at all.. What he seems to have is a decent release when its going to be a one timer.
Draisaitl has an incredible release.
Doesnt really matter. Its a definitional thing.
Im not sure Ive ever seen a guy make this big a turn around, this fast.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
[

I dont think he has a quick release at all.. What he seems to have is a decent release when its going to be a one timer.
Draisaitl has an incredible release.
Just because he doesn’t have as good of a release as one of the top three goal scorers in the league, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a good release...

the lengths some haters will go to try and discredit Jesse is absolutely pathetic.

hey Matt Barzal isn’t isn’t a good skater at all, he’s not as fast as Connor McDavid...:dunce:

Imagine being so pathetic that your entire purpose for existing on this board is to say stupid stuff like this to try and slag Puljujarvi. Seriously it’s like you’re the guy who got dumped by a girl and all you do now is go around telling everyone how terrible she is. Sad.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Just because he doesn’t have as good of a release as one of the top three goal scorers in the league, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a good release...

the lengths some haters will go to try and discredit Jesse is absolutely pathetic.

hey Matt Barzal isn’t isn’t a good skater at all, he’s not as fast as Connor McDavid...:dunce:

Imagine being so pathetic that your entire purpose for existing on this board is to say stupid stuff like this to try and slag Puljujarvi. Seriously it’s like you’re the guy who got dumped by a girl and all you do now is go around telling everyone how terrible she is. Sad.
You might try reading. Seriously . Like try. Its tough, but I know you can do it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Young Jesse will be attached to McDavid's hip for years to come.
That goal tonight was a f***ing howitzer. Looked like he tried to blow it through the net. I'm getting serious vibes with Jesse that we saw with Draisaitl where he just seemed to improve his game exponentially getting to play with and learn from McDavid. Obviously I don't think Jesse will ever be on Draisaitl's level, but I think we've just started to scratch the surface with Puljujarvi. I saw him as a 30-30-60 guy with 30-50-80 potential when he was drafted and I'm honestly still comfortable with that prediction with McDavid.

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I was pissed at him because I thought he was done here. That preseason before he injured his hips showed a glimpse of the potential he possessed. He's back, he's killing it. What's in the past is in the past.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
He is getting better. Has confidence with his shot which is great, we need shooters.

I have watched Jesse years, from his early teens. He now impresses me with defensive game, getting down when puck is lost, backchecking, covering D-men, giving passing lanes for easy openings, dumbing puck when late on the shift and not making hard risk dekes, stopping cycles with body checks, covering own man in the face offs. I think these are key things that we get best out from that magnificient #97. Jesse covers areas where Connor is still growing and Tippett must love that aspect. Having great work ethic isn't hurting either.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's getting more confident carrying the puck in the offensive zone. I think it helps when it's him and Kahun with McDavid, as he's forced to make plays rather than always deferring to Draisaitl or McDavid. He's turning into a great player, and I think he has a lot of upside left.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That goal tonight was a f***ing howitzer. Looked like he tried to blow it through the net. I'm getting serious vibes with Jesse that we saw with Draisaitl where he just seemed to improve his game exponentially getting to play with and learn from McDavid. Obviously I don't think Jesse will ever be on Draisaitl's level, but I think we've just started to scratch the surface with Puljujarvi. I saw him as a 30-30-60 guy with 30-50-80 potential when he was drafted and I'm honestly still comfortable with that prediction with McDavid.

During his time with McDavid this season Pulju has scored goals at the rate of about 28 goals per full season. So there's a good chance he'll score that 30 goals next season even if he doesn't get more PP time.

Let's wait and see, but 30 goals with no much PP usage and for a defensively terrific player would be great, but it he starts to get regular time on the 1st PP unit it could be even more.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
What Jesse is doing is once again a reminder of the payoff for patience.

We were patient with Jesse, we have a star top 6 forward in the making who works well with Connor.

We were patient with Nurse, and now we have our first legit #1 since Pronger.

We weren't patient with Petry
We weren't patient with Dubnyk
We weren't patient with the 16th pick in 2015

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Powerplay.

Imagine Puljujarvi on one wing and Draisaitl on the other waiting for the one pass to one time from McDavid.

Nurse and Bouchard waiting for the pass to one time from McDavid.

Defenders will be fkd. Powerplay will start hitting in the range of 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad