Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Two great touches on that goal. Plus one that he wasn’t credited with an assist he was in the muck to help make it happen. I’d like to see him work on his shot accuracy just a bit on the offseason and can see him being a 25-25 player (and defensive beast) as early as next season

25-25 for a defensively great winger isn't bad at all, but it's pretty impressing if there's only a bit of PP time as there's been so far. During the last full season (didn't check the shorter covid season) only three Oilers forwards scored more than 25 even strength points and only two at least 20 goals.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I still really want to see what he could accomplish if he came back to North America with an open mind and a willingness to adapt his game.

After posting this, you have to think that he's shaking his head about how things have played out to this point of his career. KHL teams were throwing him by the wayside this year because he didn't want to take a pay cut. The well's running dry.

This is the springboard for what I want to say here is that people make mistakes. In both instances, Yak, Pulju, they both made mistakes, they both featured youthful confused emotions, subject to feeling rejected, disregarded and in turn they did that in response to feeling not accepted, valued. In turn fans piled on as well, and thats a natural response of people who feel rejected. Its the Eric Lindros fan reaction. If you refuse to play here the fans will respond with vitriol. Its not really personal, its an age old dynamic.

In anycase of the two, at some point Jesse made a mistake, his agent made a mistake, and they saw the opportunity to come around and make good of this. Its a lesson for everybody maybe that there are 2nd chances in life. Yak has not turned anything around but he's also a much different character.

I'll be cheesy and quote a line out of Led Zep Stairway to Heaven, but its meant to be a meaningful song with philosophical lyrics.

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

I'm not a lyric person, but the above always held meaning to me, perhaps because as a youth I was on a wrong road or two. Nice of Robert Plant to have infused some useful messages into his song lyrics. I wonder how many people were helped by the above message.

I think the lyric was a take on the Robert Frost poem "The road not taken". Which also applies to the enigmatic tales of Yakupov and Puljujarvi, once both at similar crossroads, but one doubling back to change paths.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fitness nut or not his shifts are a lot harder due to board and net front battles and playing hard all 200' of the ice. IMO he is doing the right thing because all of his shifts are maximum effort shifts.

Wheeler has been a comp that I've used for Jesse for a long, long time. Jesse's previous hip issues cannot be understated, it really held him back. Now he has the ability and willingness to fill a tough role and he has played it to near perfection.

Both Drai and Pulju shifts are equally hard. McD shifts hard in another way, particularly the skating like the wind rushes.

I mean the positive aspect is we're getting an awful lot from those players, and leaving it all on the ice.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Both Drai and Pulju shifts are equally hard. McD shifts hard in another way, particularly the skating like the wind rushes.

I mean the positive aspect is we're getting an awful lot from those players, and leaving it all on the ice.

I just love how the team has two such incredible players, yet they shine in quite different ways. It's much nicer and better to the team like this. I feel Pulju is on a way to a 3rd very special player and again that would be in his own way compared to McDavid and Drai. I think this trio will make miracles in the near future when the team is desparate to score goals at the end of games. They've already been great in those short 6-on-5 moments they've had. The Oilers fans really are very lucky in this regard.

I don't want to compare players and I understand that being a center brings special value and Laine can do better than he's doing this year. But I believe now Pulju could actually be traded for those players (maybe even without considering salaries), but it'd actually be a risk for the Oilers. Would Dubois play much better in the Oilers or would he continue to play like in the Jets? And would Laine be good enough on the PP to match what Pulju offers in a wide field? Or would a new 4th pick bring what Pulju is bringing? Fortunately the Oilers don't have to worry about things like this as I'm sure they're happy it's specifically Jesse they have.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just love how the team has two such incredible players, yet they shine in quite different ways. It's much nicer and better to the team like this. I feel Pulju is on a way to a 3rd very special player and again that would be in his own way compared to McDavid and Drai. I think this trio will make miracles in the near future when the team is desparate to score goals at the end of games. They've already been great in those short 6-on-5 moments they've had. The Oilers fans really are very lucky in this regard.

I don't want to compare players and I understand that being a center brings special value and Laine can do better than he's doing this year. But I believe now Pulju could actually be traded for those players (maybe even without considering salaries), but it'd actually be a risk for the Oilers. Would Dubois play much better in the Oilers or would he continue to play like in the Jets? And would Laine be good enough on the PP to match what Pulju offers in a wide field? Or would a new 4th pick bring what Pulju is bringing? Fortunately the Oilers don't have to worry about things like this as I'm sure they're happy it's specifically Jesse they have.

The smart move is to keep Jesse and then try to add other quality players.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is the springboard for what I want to say here is that people make mistakes. In both instances, Yak, Pulju, they both made mistakes, they both featured youthful confused emotions, subject to feeling rejected, disregarded and in turn they did that in response to feeling not accepted, valued. In turn fans piled on as well, and thats a natural response of people who feel rejected. Its the Eric Lindros fan reaction. If you refuse to play here the fans will respond with vitriol. Its not really personal, its an age old dynamic.

In anycase of the two, at some point Jesse made a mistake, his agent made a mistake, and they saw the opportunity to come around and make good of this. Its a lesson for everybody maybe that there are 2nd chances in life. Yak has not turned anything around but he's also a much different character.

I'll be cheesy and quote a line out of Led Zep Stairway to Heaven, but its meant to be a meaningful song with philosophical lyrics.

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

I'm not a lyric person, but the above always held meaning to me, perhaps because as a youth I was on a wrong road or two. Nice of Robert Plant to have infused some useful messages into his song lyrics. I wonder how many people were helped by the above message.

I think the lyric was a take on the Robert Frost poem "The road not taken". Which also applies to the enigmatic tales of Yakupov and Puljujarvi, once both at similar crossroads, but one doubling back to change paths.
It's also a big win for Holland

He knew there was risk of losing him for nothing. It didnt matter. You dont get to decide your team. Rfa status means something. Also, he knew the Oilers was a good spot for JP, and that it would work out.

At some point it is about pride too. Holland could let some other team shaft us by getting a 4th overall talent for a 3rd round pick or whatever. Just lose him for nothing at that point.

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Without a doubt the best RW on the team to play with Connor and Leon when we stack the top line. If we kept this line together for an entire season it would be beyond a shadow of a doubt the best line in hockey and the trio would put up gaudy stats.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Back when Jesse was looking like a bust or a forced trade, I'd get sad thinking how we passed over Tkachuk for him, but then I'd remember that we took Draisaitl over Bennett.

Now I am happier with Jesse every day, surprised to see he has more goals than Tkachuk this year, and happy to see how relatively good he looks vs Laine as well!

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Back when Jesse was looking like a bust or a forced trade, I'd get sad thinking how we passed over Tkachuk for him, but then I'd remember that we took Draisaitl over Bennett.

Now I am happier with Jesse every day, surprised to see he has more goals than Tkachuk this year, and happy to see how relatively good he looks vs Laine as well!
Its actually amazing how this is turning out. I dont think he has the skills or the brain to be a really high impact offensive player, but this is a guy that went from imo garbage , looked completely lost and hopeless out there, to a very, very effective hockey player. Its going to be curious what his ceiling will be. Hopefully Im wrong X 2.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Smiling is contagious. Jesse has a big heart, you can see it in his game and presence off the ice too. Do you guys think Jesse’s personality, spirit and attitude has significantly improved team spirit? And whether that might have a great effect on why the team is playing so well this season?

This from coach Tippett:

"I think his smile is infectious," Head Coach Dave Tippett said. "He's smiling all the time and enjoying himself. That was a good moment for the guys. They put him in the middle, made him lead the stretch and they sang 'happy birthday' to him.
"Shows you how far he's come from where he was a few years ago."

And from McLeod:

"Everyone's super happy in the room and everyone's super nice to each other," McLeod said. "It's been super welcoming coming in and it's really nice that we did that for Jesse in the middle of the ice."

He is part of it, but to me this sounds we have quite mature team here. Very exciting!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad