Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think it needs to be stressed that while he is playing with 2 incredible talents in McDrai he is also not being used as a top line player in terms of ice time and PP time.

Puljujarvi is still very raw and it is not unusual for a European player, especially one with a language barrier, to take time to reach his potential.

I'm kind of chuckling to myself because some are over estimating while others are trying to muddy the water due to his recent success.

In many ways we are seeing Puljujarvi in year 1 of his nhl development. I disliked Puljujarvi leaving the Oilers but I will always stand by my assessment that the Oilers really mishandled him and his development. If all that is over, his English is improving, and his game is starting to adapt to NA style. This is hopefully just the start of a great career.

I see him more of a 25/25 2 way top 6 winger but if he actually gets some chemistry with either McDrai on top of more PP time/development etc... He could be much more.

You match that 25/25 with a 30/30 guy in Holloway and Edmonton should have 2 excellent wingers which allow McDrai to be separated full-time. RNH/Yams aren't terrible on the other side either to provide some speed and skill to those powerforward guys.

Reactions: Aerchon

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I mean, we can still use an Eberle right now
I feel like a lot of us were anticpating Yammers eventually turning into a current day Eberle with more grit and defensive play. but this year was a bit of a setback in that path (injuries, perhaps?).
A lot of NYI fans were saying Eberle's defensive play has improved exponentially in the last few years, though

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know this has been said a lot of times already and I only ask this rhetorically, but why on earth isn't Pulju on the PP instead of Chiasson? Only when they are desperate at the end of the game with the net empty they decide to play Pulju - and what do you know: he scores and was about to score a second if that Draisaitl rebound hadn't bounced over his stick.

Its a long game. You don't always look for the short term results. Theres some wrinkles teams could, and should save for playoffs. The Oilers are in no difficulty whatsoever, competing for top spots in the division, and have easily made the playoffs.

I feel like the team is not trying to show all their cards, and this is a familiar concept here in NA, not to show your full hand.

Jesse is doing fine here, has clear building roles here and has done enough to set himself to be a cog on this team, and on the PP. I do feel like McDrai, Pulju, Barrie, Nurse on PP is a murderers row. But theres nothing wrong with not showing that too much until the playoffs. We know what it does, we know that Tippett would know it tilts the ice. But not all opponents need to know that.

Tippettt is a veteran, and accomplished coach. You save some things for the playoffs, when they matter more.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
seeing the way holland and tippett are handling JP now, i'm inclined to think that if they had a hand in the development of yakupov, we likely would have seen an improved outcome.
I still really want to see what he could accomplish if he came back to North America with an open mind and a willingness to adapt his game.

After posting this, you have to think that he's shaking his head about how things have played out to this point of his career. KHL teams were throwing him by the wayside this year because he didn't want to take a pay cut. The well's running dry.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I have put plenty of blame on JP. He was a 17/18 year old kid when he got here, of course he had faults and wasn’t perfect. But it obvious to anyone with an ounce of hockey knowledge that are coaching staff now is much better at getting productive hockey from support players than your favorite coach was. Hell even my post a few posts up talks about how he didn’t know how to use his massive frame effectively before like he does now. It’s like you can’t even be bothered to read. Anytime anyone says anything good about Pulju, you have to rush to expose your own ignorance.

Your straw man attacks are getting more pathetic by the day. Almost as pathetic as you endlessly mocking Katz for his illness.

Anyone that does that need their teeth kicked in .

Reactions: oilynutz

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You match that 25/25 with a 30/30 guy in Holloway and Edmonton should have 2 excellent wingers which allow McDrai to be separated full-time. RNH/Yams aren't terrible on the other side either to provide some speed and skill to those powerforward guys.

Team would cry to the NHL if the Oilers had a top line of Holloway McDavid Puljujarvi . Too much speed , 2 player checking the shit out of them . NHL would probably award the crying team draft picks . See Lucic trade for reference

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can’t believe all of us compared these two to one another

Everything is fluid in time, and people, players, are human, and differentiate, change, through time. At one point Yakupov looked like a player. I mean the talent was there, the will and burning desire to continue to to things it takes to play in the NHL was not. For Yakupov the hockey dream kind of died. Of course this happens to most players at some point. Only the top dreamers get to the NHL and stay there. It requires incredible passion, sacrifice, to play in this league. Yak at some point stopped wanting the dream. Got into other things, and he's spiritual, he didn't fit in the NHL, probably doesn't fit in hockey, from his pov. He became a fish out of water, now he is in the KHL too.

So the Human will side of Yakupov failed. He ceased making hockey his dream.

Pulju reawakened his desire, and it seems on fire now and I don't think anybody is putting it out. Pulju is having the dream now, again, and realizing it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah I can’t believe that some people ever made that comparison.
It's one that didn't make a lot of sense. The criticisms of each player was very different and in Jesse's case there was never question marks about his ability to play on the defensive side of the puck. I truly do think that Jesse's FAI was a major issue with his balance and strength on his feet as he has been a completely different player in that regard since his surgery. The hands aren't elite, but they have also improved, but I do think a lot of that comes back to confidence. We've seen his hands range from terrible to decent/good at times depending on where his game and confidence was at. The more his confidence grows the better his hands look and the more comfortable he looks.

Part of me hopes he doesn't ever fully break out scoring wise because he's a guy I hope we can retain for his entire prime because of what he brings from an overall game perspective. He's a perfect complementary winger for guys like McDavid and Draisaitl down the middle. In fact, I love some of the depth we have coming in players like Jesse, Yamamoto, Holloway, and McLeod. Guys who just bring complete games and play both sides of the puck well.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Love the Pulj!

However, I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing that he takes very short shifts. Always the first off the ice on his line. And being known to be a very fit it's a bit surprising. I'm sure he could extend his shifts by 15% or something. Would be very useful to have him longer on the ice.
I think that's because of who is he is on the ice with. NHLers are suppose to keep their shifts around 45 seconds and for the Oilers this applies to everyone except McDavid and Draisaitl. Being 2 of the top players in the world gives you the extra leash to decide if you need to get off or try and make 1 more offensive push. Jesse knows he doesn't command the same independence as 97/29 do so he limits his shift lengths to match Tippett's expectations.

Puljujarvi is known as a fitness nut, I'm sure he could do extended shifts if he were allowed to.

Reactions: Kolja and Oilhawks

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think the upside to Puljujarvi is Blake Wheeler. The size, speed, long stick there is a lot of comparisons. Wheeler like Jesse was also a top 5 pick who didn't do much until 7 years after his draft when he broke 50 points for the first time. Since that year he has been an extremely consistent 60+ point player even having 90 point seasons.

Players with their frame take a while to fill into their bodies and thats what we are currently seeing with Jesse. I really do believe he can be McDavid's right hand man for the next decade. Speed, forechecking, physicality and a scoring touch is exactly what McDavid needs and Jesse brings all of that in spades.

Puljujarvi stumbled at first but he has quickly insert himself into comparisons between Tkachuk, Dubois, Laine, Keller and Sergachev who were other top 10 2016 picks who the Oilers supposedly screwed up by not picking.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that's because of who is he is on the ice with. NHLers are suppose to keep their shifts around 45 seconds and for the Oilers this applies to everyone except McDavid and Draisaitl. Being 2 of the top players in the world gives you the extra leash to decide if you need to get off or try and make 1 more offensive push. Jesse knows he doesn't command the same independence as 97/29 do so he limits his shift lengths to match Tippett's expectations.

Puljujarvi is known as a fitness nut, I'm sure he could do extended shifts if he were allowed to.

Fitness nut or not his shifts are a lot harder due to board and net front battles and playing hard all 200' of the ice. IMO he is doing the right thing because all of his shifts are maximum effort shifts.

I think the upside to Puljujarvi is Blake Wheeler. The size, speed, long stick there is a lot of comparisons. Wheeler like Jesse was also a top 5 pick who didn't do much until 7 years after his draft when he broke 50 points for the first time. Since that year he has been an extremely consistent 60+ point player even having 90 point seasons.

Players with their frame take a while to fill into their bodies and thats what we are currently seeing with Jesse. I really do believe he can be McDavid's right hand man for the next decade. Speed, forechecking, physicality and a scoring touch is exactly what McDavid needs and Jesse brings all of that in spades.

Puljujarvi stumbled at first but he has quickly insert himself into comparisons between Tkachuk, Dubois, Laine, Keller and Sergachev who were other top 10 2016 picks who the Oilers supposedly screwed up by not picking.

Wheeler has been a comp that I've used for Jesse for a long, long time. Jesse's previous hip issues cannot be understated, it really held him back. Now he has the ability and willingness to fill a tough role and he has played it to near perfection.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The race for 0.5 ppg is on! :sarcasm:

He needs 7 points in the remaining games to get there, can he make it? He is on a trajectory to score about 40 points in a 82 game season.

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Fitness nut or not his shifts are a lot harder due to board and net front battles and playing hard all 200' of the ice. IMO he is doing the right thing because all of his shifts are maximum effort shifts.

Wheeler has been a comp that I've used for Jesse for a long, long time. Jesse's previous hip issues cannot be understated, it really held him back. Now he has the ability and willingness to fill a tough role and he has played it to near perfection.

I know some people use Wheeler as a comp but are they similar? JP seems likes hes a better forechecker and tends to shoot the puck more and maybe more defensively conscious. Wheeler seems like more of a playmaker and more offensive minded. Obviously if JP turned out to be something similar to Wheeler that would be nothing to sneeze at.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I can’t believe all of us compared these two to one another

At one point. with Pulju not really working out at the time, they have similarities in their game. Of course all that is long past since Pulju is legit. I always thought he'd be ATLEAST a great forechecking 3rd liner, but his ceiling is so much higher.

On Yak, we should convince him to sign in the Finnish league, dominate, and then we can give him an NHL PTO. Maybe lightning will strike again.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know some people use Wheeler as a comp but are they similar? JP seems likes hes a better forechecker and tends to shoot the puck more and maybe more defensively conscious. Wheeler seems like more of a playmaker and more offensive minded. Obviously if JP turned out to be something similar to Wheeler that would be nothing to sneeze at.

Similar in terms of size and taking time to make their mark on the NHL. Both are good passers and skaters, Jesse is the better forechecker and Wheeler to this point is the better offensive player. I think they are similar in that both break out around 24-25 years old.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Really starting to see how McD and Jesse are benefiting from time together and knowing what the other will do. You don’t hear the stick taps from Jesse anymore. Plus , how often are you seeing the ozone established by him getting to pucks first and him rifling it around the boards to just where McDavid ended up appearing.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Pulju playing very well on first line.

Show time beauty assist.

Two great touches on that goal. Plus one that he wasn’t credited with an assist he was in the muck to help make it happen. I’d like to see him work on his shot accuracy just a bit on the offseason and can see him being a 25-25 player (and defensive beast) as early as next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad