Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He was our best player hands down.

Shots were 11-3 in our favour with him on the ice. He flat out dominated his ice time.
I agree, but there were some things i would've liked to see more.... I would've liked him to follow the puck into the corners more aggressively (Engage physically) and carry the puck more. That being said, he looked very promising.

Here's a pretty nice interview with him & Strome.

‘I want to take another step’: Puljujarvi making big strides in third season with Oilers

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
how much of this was due to Rattie having an excellent game? Just saying but I can't see how somebody could watch that game and not have the view that Rattie was the best Oilers forward performance last night. With Pulju 2nd. just saying, because the bolded is odd. Rattie had a standout game.

Rattie played his role to perfection. Opportunistic offensive minded. Complementary scoring top 9 winger. Looked good in the ozone and not too bad everywhere else.

Jessie Puljujärvi had a heck of a game. Look big, fast, physical, great at both ends of the ice. Should have had an assist, maybe added later, and had solid time in the ozone both in terms of offense and providing a strong cycle.

No offense. I know Rattie scored 2 goals and looked good. I personally think he all but sealed his spot beside McDavid with that one performance. To start the year anyway.

But!

Jessie Puljujärvi was very obviously the better 200 foot player last night. Doing all the little things as they are want to say. I've heard some say he looks awkward/lost on the ice at times last year. There was very little of that last night. He was relentless and not just in the ozone.

I take the style of game Jessie Puljujärvi played last night over the style of game Rattie played last night every time.

The great thing is we can have them both. No reason to even really debate who was better. They were both great.

And Talbot had the best game imo.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree, but there were some things i would've liked to see more.... I would've liked him to follow the puck into the corners more aggressively (Engage physically) and carry the puck more. That being said, he looked very promising.

Here's a pretty nice interview with him & Strome.

‘I want to take another step’: Puljujarvi making big strides in third season with Oilers

Him and Strome seem to be developing good chemistry. If they keep clicking they’ll have a chance to put up points with teams focusing on McDavid and Draisaitl’s lines.

Reactions: GameChanger

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Comparing Puljujärvi and Rattie last night is just a positive / positive thing, particularly looking at them from a coaching viewpoint going into the game:
  • Puljujärvi (and his entire) line basically showed themselves as the best line on the ice just about every shift. In the first preseason game, it felt like they showed what the coaching staff wanted. They weren't even playing them heavy minutes.
  • Rattie is still auditioning to make the team, first. Being on #97s line, second. Yesterday really helped the first and kept him in the running for the second.
Who was better. Hard to say in a preseason game, since they both gave the coaches a lot of what they want.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hopefully he can carry the strong preseason showing into the regular season. The biggest thing with JP will always be confidence. He has all the skill and ability in the world, his issue comes from confidence, second guessing decisions and overthinking. Once he gets the confidence and just goes and plays on instincts, hell score 25 goals

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
how much of this was due to Rattie having an excellent game? Just saying but I can't see how somebody could watch that game and not have the view that Rattie was the best Oilers forward performance last night. With Pulju 2nd. just saying, because the bolded is odd. Rattie had a standout game.
Rattie took a really bad penalty that brings him down a bit. Rattie had worse linemates though so I give him props for finding a way to get on the scoreboard.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Looks like Pulju also switched stick brand along with shortening it. Looks like hes using a Bauer Supreme stick from this image, he used a longer warrior twig last season (Not overly important but I am a big stick geek and bauer supporter)

OILERS_CANUCKS_PRE_013_slide.jpg

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Pulju had a decent, not exceptional outing. On the actual goal he scored for two reasons"

1) He botched the shot, shanked it, and this through off the timing on what was a very slow and harmless looking shot.

2) Nillson was in net. What a lmfao goalie. Anders Nillson was again exposed last night. This was an even game and any time the Oilers needed a goal they got one.
might as well leave out the part where he controlled the puck, protected it with his body shifted directions and got himself into a better shooting position before he even took the shot.

but nah that wouldnt fit your narrative.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

I don't get this, are you implying Rattie and Pulju played on the same line last night cause they didn't.

I think both players played very well and drove their line, I think Pulju overall looked better throughout the game and Rattie played the best period of either of them in the third. Although Rattie did have a lot less to work with on his line so it'll be interesting to see how his preseason progresses as he is given more to work with.

Reactions: Missoil and PulYou

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So how did he play hands up :rolleyes:

E: English can be a funny language sometimes, but I guess it's mainly us foreigners paying attention to some of the things...

It’s an English figure of speech.

Perhaps “undoubtedly was the best player” is an easier equivalent phrase.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Looks like Pulju also switched stick brand along with shortening it. Looks like hes using a Bauer Supreme stick from this image, he used a longer warrior twig last season (Not overly important but I am a big stick geek and bauer supporter)

OILERS_CANUCKS_PRE_013_slide.jpg

Shorter stick and a new tap job. His puck handling was much smoother last night than it has been in the past.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He looked like a new player last night. Quick decisions with the puck, unafraid to lug it, didn't look clumsy. If he can find consistency and confidence he's poised for a big season.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Pulji taking the next step is huge for this team. If he is able to drive his own line with Strome, that would give the oilers 3 legitimate lines capable of changing the game.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Shorter stick and a new tap job. His puck handling was much smoother last night than it has been in the past.

Such a no brainer adjustment too. Pucks bouncing off your stick all the time, put more tape on the blade. Love seeing someone make adjustments like this when something's not working.

For game one, I saw exactly what I wanted to see from Puljujarvi. He took ownership of his role on that line as a puck carrier, and skated confidently with the puck. That's what I want to see from him.

Reactions: snipes

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Comparing Puljujärvi and Rattie last night is just a positive / positive thing, particularly looking at them from a coaching viewpoint going into the game:
  • Puljujärvi (and his entire) line basically showed themselves as the best line on the ice just about every shift. In the first preseason game, it felt like they showed what the coaching staff wanted. They weren't even playing them heavy minutes.
  • Rattie is still auditioning to make the team, first. Being on #97s line, second. Yesterday really helped the first and kept him in the running for the second.
Who was better. Hard to say in a preseason game, since they both gave the coaches a lot of what they want.
Not to derail the Pulju thread, but I think he really helped out his case for both last night, they seemed to intentionally put him with some of the weaker linemates to show that he was individually strong and not just a product of McDavid and despite weaker linemates found a way to have a big impact. Secondly McLellan made a point of how fond he was of his work in the corners last night and I know on the McDavid - Nuge line that is something they want that 3rd man to bring.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
So Jesse showed he isn’t bad at this game called hockey.

Waiting some more and him turning even bigger gear when he gets few games under and gains more confidence.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I'm the first to admit I'm biased towards Pulju, but I never really noticed Rattie outside the goals he scored. I don't mean to say that Rattie was bad, I just didn't really notice him. I noticed McLeod though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
O

I'm the first to admit I'm biased towards Pulju, but I never really noticed Rattie outside the goals he scored. I noticed McLeod though.

Rattie was first star of the game in an opposition telecast. With all due respect he was noticed. The commentary of the game, by the Nucks telecast, was saluting his performance. He was tough, gritty, looked faster, stronger, and was very noticeable throughout. Did you even notice him killing 30secs in the Vancouver end towards the end of the game and fighting 3 canucks for the puck? It was that type of perseverance that got him mentioned all night.

Pulju had a strong game, 2nd best Oilers forward as I stated. But Rattie was pretty consistent and played well over his weight.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The games in Europe are played in a big rink, right? McDavid and Pulju will have a field day if that's the case.

Interesting point.
Although its likely going to favor many of the Euro players on both teams. That said it will be very interesting to watch McDavid's speed on the big ice. He will have more room to wind up.

EDIT: Never mind...lol

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Interesting point.
Although its likely going to favor many of the Euro players on both teams. That said it will be very interesting to watch McDavid's speed on the big ice. He will have more room to wind up.
They will be playing NHL size rinks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They will be playing NHL size rinks.

Yeah...you're right. I was thinking about that after I posted and it wouldnt make sense to play on anything but NHL ice...especially if if counts in the standings.

Thanks for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad