Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Could just be a language thing too. If JP/Yakupov for example arent comfortable with the language (which seems obvious), then it requires a lot more effort to try to understand things. I have been in situations before when I am in a room full of people who speak in a different language, then they realize that I dont understand what they are saying. Then they start to try and talk in english (because they dont want to be rude) but its not the same english that I am accustomed to hearing/talking in and honestly after a while it just becomes exhausting trying to focus/concentrate on what they are saying.

Everything I have read about JP is that the guy is a physical beast. Hes a gym rat. I dont think he would be getting tired physically honestly.

Its probably mental exhaustion. From the language and also from being hard on himself because he doesnt understand. I honestly just dont think he knew how hard the language/communication would be coming to a new country and playing nhl system with nhl coaching staffs.
I think confidence plays a huge role in this. When Jesse was playing confident at the start of the season he looked quite frankly like our 2nd or 3rd best player on a handful of nights. Not uncommon at all for young players play to be linked to confidence, and that can be a rollercoaster for a lot of young players.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Being a little hard on a kid playing against players 3 years older than him don't you think?
How so? I'm not drawing any conclusions from what I saw, just saying it was pretty surprising that not even one of those shots went in. Is that OK to be surprised?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
To back @harpoon and others up on the awkwardness comments, I definitely saw that as a problem pre draft, and was a major part of why I didn't want the Oil to draft him. You definitely can see it in those highlights too.

If you dig deep enough back into my posts (I'm too lazy), I know you'll find pre draft posts of me arguing that Laine was far and away the better pick between him and Puljujarvi. I saw some people here arguing we should Pulju over Laine pre draft and I thought that was insanity. I always thought Pulju looked like he had a lot of tools - skating, awareness, shot power - but was really awkward and needing careful development. Given the Oilers development history, I really didn't want us to pick him. Thus far, it seems like I was right, but I'm hoping that he starts to put it together despite the Oilers being the Oilers. Shortening his stick is a great step forward imo as it will help him be tighter and quicker in his puck handling, a must for him to make it as a top 6 player I think.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
To back @harpoon and others up on the awkwardness comments, I definitely saw that as a problem pre draft, and was a major part of why I didn't want the Oil to draft him. You definitely can see it in those highlights too.

If you dig deep enough back into my posts (I'm too lazy), I know you'll find pre draft posts of me arguing that Laine was far and away the better pick between him and Puljujarvi. I saw some people here arguing we should Pulju over Laine pre draft and I thought that was insanity. I always thought Pulju looked like he had a lot of tools - skating, awareness, shot power - but was really awkward and needing careful development. Given the Oilers development history, I really didn't want us to pick him. Thus far, it seems like I was right, but I'm hoping that he starts to put it together despite the Oilers being the Oilers. Shortening his stick is a great step forward imo as it will help him be tighter and quicker in his puck handling, a must for him to make it as a top 6 player I think.

The thing with Pulju is everyone rags on him because of where he was picked, Christ he just turned 20 at the end of the season last year, he scored 12 in 65 games last year, so you could say the he probably would have scored at least 15 in a full 82 games, in which was essentially his rookie year, as a 19 yo. I don’t think there’s anything “awkward” with his game. To me it’s all confidence based, go watch his first game after his Call up where he scored, and then later that game blew the doors of a ranger dman drove the net and hit the post, and the game against Calgary where he had 2 goals among other games. He’s one of the best players on the ice, then the next game he looks like an AHL player

Chia/Todd aren’t right about much last year but there bang on with Pulju, he has all the tools and he’s shown flashes, just needs consistency, which isn’t unheard of for what was a 19yo kid last year

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I don't think anyone was comparing the rope with current Laine. Of course Laine has now a long long leash and that's how it should be.

With the toolbox I was referring to the PP. He was a hot player for quite a while but didn't get a chance while the PP sucked. At the end of the year, while there was nothing to lose, he still didn't get a chance. That's what I meant.

E: By getting a chance I was talking about being used in his own position, the one he'd succeeded at in every level before the NHL.
It absolutely blew my mind that Pulju didn't get time on the PP when it was clear that the season was in already in the shitter. It shouldn't have come a a surprise, though, considering this is the same coach that kept feeding Lucic primo Top Six minutes so that he could rack up a grand total of two points all season

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The thing with Pulju is everyone rags on him because of where he was picked, Christ he just turned 20 at the end of the season last year, he scored 12 in 65 games last year, so you could say the he probably would have scored at least 15 in a full 82 games, in which was essentially his rookie year, as a 19 yo. I don’t think there’s anything “awkward” with his game. To me it’s all confidence based, go watch his first game after his Call up where he scored, and then later that game blew the doors of a ranger dman drove the net and hit the post, and the game against Calgary where he had 2 goals among other games. He’s one of the best players on the ice, then the next game he looks like an AHL player

Chia/Todd aren’t right about much last year but there bang on with Pulju, he has all the tools and he’s shown flashes, just needs consistency, which isn’t unheard of for what was a 19yo kid last year

You're basically describing awkward by another name IMO, a smooth player tends to be a consistent player.

Of course he's judged by his draft position - people compare him with the other options we could have taken. He still has plenty of time to prove doubters wrong but I don't think it's at all unfair to judge him as a 4th overall. It's where he was taken! We had lots of options!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Here's an interesting contrast. We're seeing Bouchard currently in a couple prospects games and first exhibition game which still, roster wise, was a prospects game. Yet in that short time it is so indelible what that player is, what his skills are, strengths are, even weaknesses because every shift he's going after it. Every shift he's auditioning to make a pro club. Hix verve, determination, intensity to succeed at this level is palpable.
In only a few games I'm a Bouchard convert. It didn't even take that long.

We've seen 2 seasons of Pulju here and we haven't seen this. From his NA play you wouldn't even know all of his toolkit over two seasons. Thats a little awkward. Hopefully starting tonight. Theres no shame in showing what got you here. Its whats expected.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Good game from Pulju tonight, looks like he put in the work over the summer, seems more confident, stronger, and like his puck control has improved some. Don't want to get too ahead of myself cause Pulju's prior inconsistency, but I'm feeling more confident with my call that he would take that next step this season and be a 20G + 20A guy.

Just one thing I wanted to mention I believe there was a rumor that Pulju said he wanted to play with Strome, in the post-game Todd confirmed that Jesse said he's comfortable playing with Strome and requested he play with him and Strome like-wise also requested that he wanted to play with Pulju. It's a common theme on here saying Pulju should be along side McDavid or Drai, but what Jesse truly wants atleast at the moment is to play with Strome.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Good game from Pulju tonight, looks like he put in the work over the summer, seems more confident, stronger, and like his puck control has improved some. Don't want to get too ahead of myself cause Pulju's prior inconsistency, but I'm feeling more confident with my call that he would take that next step this season and be a 20G + 20A guy.

Just one thing I wanted to mention I believe there was a rumor that Pulju said he wanted to play with Strome, in the post-game Todd confirmed that Jesse said he's comfortable playing with Strome and requested he play with him and Strome like-wise also requested that he wanted to play with Pulju. It's a common theme on here saying Pulju should be along side McDavid or Drai, but what Jesse truly wants atleast at the moment is to play with Strome.
Also Vancouver played essentially their line up tonight, Pulju was with his 3rd line linemates tonight. And what did he do? He showed up. He showed his freaking skill. Something people have been telling me was impossible for him to do if he wasn't playing with elite centers.

Games like that are what I want to see of Pulju, even if he had zero points. he made plays, he handled the puck well and he showed his abilities.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Also Vancouver played essentially their line up tonight, Pulju was with his 3rd line linemates tonight. And what did he do? He showed up. He showed his freaking skill. Something people have been telling me was impossible for him to do if he wasn't playing with elite centers.

Games like that are what I want to see of Pulju, even if he had zero points. he made plays, he handled the puck well and he showed his abilities.
Don't worry about the Canucks, pre-season means nothing . Right @guymez ?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Usually goaltending.

Thats a large part of the reason why winning in preseason doesnt mean much.

It may not surprise you to know (you might even already know this) that the Oilers have had a winning preseason record since 2006. That speaks volumes about how predictive pre season wins are. :D

Player performances (especially porospects) are another story especially as the preseason roles on and teams play more NHL caliber players.

So I am hoping we see a game like tonight from Jesse in Europe. :nod:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Thats a large part of the reason why winning in preseason doesnt mean much.

It may not surprise you to know (you might even already know this) that the Oilers have had a winning preseason record since 2006. That speaks volumes about how predictive pre season wins are. :D

Player performances (especially porospects) are another story especially as the preseason roles on and teams play more NHL caliber players.

So I am hoping we see a game like tonight from Jesse in Europe. :nod:
The games in Europe are played in a big rink, right? McDavid and Pulju will have a field day if that's the case.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He scored a goal, but even if he had not he played an excellent game. I am sure Todd liked what he saw from him.
I liked what I saw, even if I still think he could and should hold on to the puck a little longer. I think he'd be more effective if he just drove wide past the defenders more, rather than just always passing the puck to his linemates.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I liked what I saw, even if I still think he could and should hold on to the puck a little longer. I think he'd be more effective if he just drove wide past the defenders more, rather than just always passing the puck to his linemates.
Yes, i agree. He was passing too much and passing to Strome is a waste of time

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
An interesting snippet from the postgame article in the Journal today.

Puljujarvi is still adapting to the NHL on and off the ice and his teammates want to make a more concerted effort to make him comfortable in both areas, something that didn’t always happen last season.

A bit of a rebuke of the other players? I dunno.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
they gonna play at the standard nhl rink
congrats on 1st post, lets celebrate
gold-fireworks-mass-gif.gif

tumblr_npybntiFhp1qg51mgo1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events