Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Also Vancouver played essentially their line up tonight, Pulju was with his 3rd line linemates tonight. And what did he do? He showed up. He showed his freaking skill. Something people have been telling me was impossible for him to do if he wasn't playing with elite centers.

Games like that are what I want to see of Pulju, even if he had zero points. he made plays, he handled the puck well and he showed his abilities.

I didn't see the game but it's nice to see this kind of reports, so thanks. I'd just like to correct one minor thing. At least I didn't mean to say it's impossible, but something he wan't ready to do quite well enough without proper PP usage to shine as the last season progressed further. As I said it's very possible the season (and the first one) would've been quite different in a top 6 role+better PP time, but it's in the past and it's time to look towards the fresh season.

I agree with what you said in another thread, it's only one game, but still a good start. I also like the point of looking beyong the points, as that's often easy to disregard. The main thing is to help the team anyway.

As you know I'd be very happy if Jesse could have plenty of games like this or the best games he had last year. The season hasn't even started yet so we'll see how it goes, but I think there are a lot of good signs in the air.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pulju had a decent, not exceptional outing. On the actual goal he scored for two reasons"

1) He botched the shot, shanked it, and this through off the timing on what was a very slow and harmless looking shot.

2) Nillson was in net. What a lmfao goalie. Anders Nillson was again exposed last night. This was an even game and any time the Oilers needed a goal they got one.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Pulju had a decent, not exceptional outing. On the actual goal he scored for two reasons"

1) He botched the shot, shanked it, and this through off the timing on what was a very slow and harmless looking shot.

2) Nillson was in net. What a lmfao goalie. Anders Nillson was again exposed last night. This was an even game and any time the Oilers needed a goal they got one.

I didn't see the game but at least in the GDT comments he seemed to do well in pretty much every shift, with some of the comments coming from people who didn't expect that from him. I don't think all those writers could've been wrong. I also read he would've deserved an assist for another goal. As practically all the comments have said him, Rattie and Talbot were the three best players maybe that could actually be the case and maybe it's not so serious ;)

That being said, he had a few terrific games last season so this was just one game, and only a preseason one, but a promising start. I'm looking forward to seeing what the season will bring.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Here's an interesting contrast. We're seeing Bouchard currently in a couple prospects games and first exhibition game which still, roster wise, was a prospects game. Yet in that short time it is so indelible what that player is, what his skills are, strengths are, even weaknesses because every shift he's going after it. Every shift he's auditioning to make a pro club. Hix verve, determination, intensity to succeed at this level is palpable.
In only a few games I'm a Bouchard convert. It didn't even take that long.

We've seen 2 seasons of Pulju here and we haven't seen this. From his NA play you wouldn't even know all of his toolkit over two seasons. Thats a little awkward. Hopefully starting tonight. Theres no shame in showing what got you here. Its whats expected.
This is something I think which is pretty normal when comparing NA players to Euro players. Someone can correct me if they think I am wrong here, but there is a completely different system for development of young players. There are no drafts, combines, very few try-outs, in general very few competitions like that. Often you play with the team in the city where you grew up, or at least quite close to it (if they don't have a good team), in NA players get used to moving around a lot as well as always being evaluated for the next draft/try-out. Or at least that is how it seems for an outsider. I would also say there is a big difference in how they approach players in these situations, often in NA you hear "competition, fight for it, etc." while the softer approach in Europe is often to tell them to go out there, have fun and play their game (at some point obviously they will still kick you out if you don't perform, but still).

Anyway, great to hear some good things about Puljujarvi in this thread, and of course awesome to hear about Bouchard (in this and other threads). I guess it is not a bad guess both will be on the plane to Europe later on in the pre-season. I'd like to see Bouchard get a game or two with Nurse to be honest. Play them behind the Larsson pair and let Nurse be the anchor for the new kid.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He was skating better and stronger than previously which is a big step and will undoubtedly lead to better results this season. That being said, his techniques are still very flawed and there's a lot choppyness and very little smoothness in his game. It's a big limiting factor, and I'm not sure if he can ever fully fix those issues. He can be a good player regardless though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't see the game but at least in the GDT comments he seemed to do well in pretty much every shift, with some of the comments coming from people who didn't expect that from him. I don't think all those writers could've been wrong. I also read he would've deserved an assist for another goal. As practically all the comments have said him, Rattie and Talbot were the three best players maybe that could actually be the case and maybe it's not so serious ;)

That being said, he had a few terrific games last season so this was just one game, and a preseason one, but a promising start. I'm looking forward to seeing what the season will bring.

I'd have no difficulty with the assessment that Pulju was the 3rd best Oiler. Keeping in mind this was still a pretty weak Oilers lineup.;)

What stuck out is how pointless players like Caggiulia are. I mean its an unwavering opinion from me.

It was nice to see Pulju on a proverbial top line.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
What stuck out is how pointless players like Caggiulia are. I mean its an unwavering opinion from me.

For some reason I'd actually like to see Caggiula do well. Unfortunately I've never seen true offensive talent in him, though at his best he can fill a place in a roster quite credibly. I missed a lot of games at the end of the last season so I may have missed something, but according to what I read probably not too much in that regard.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For some reason I'd actually like to see Caggiula do well. Unfortunately I've never seen true offensive talent in him, though at his best he can fill a place in a roster quite credibly. I missed a lot of games at the end of the last season so I may have missed something, but according to what I read probably not too much in that regard.

A lot of his fans are impressed with how busy he is on the ice. To me he has no sense. In one sequence last night he was working the puck perimeter, had managed to avoid one check, and with time, for some reason he passes the puck up high in opposition zone causing his D to have to fight the play the rest of the way trying to prevent an odd man rush which resulted in a PP. All from Caggs decision. He's so random out there. The oilers like him because he's trying to make the quick play, but he doesn't make good plays more than bad ones.

To me its what you accomplish with the puck, not that you look busy with it. Cagg is kind of a fraud that way. Because it hockey here its assumed high energy is a good thing. sometimes its just random.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I just watched a long version of the highlights. There isn't enough material to draw strong personal conclusions, but Puljujarvi looked very very fast. Stood out easily in that regard. Last season I was wondering how come he was sometimes flying, but there were times when he lost the extra bit that really made him stand out.

A better goalie probably could've stopped the goal, but Jesse has a good wrister so sometimes they go in and may look easier than they are. I think Rattie's breakaway goal looked a bit easy, too, but probably wasn't one. Watching the highlights confirmed Puljujarvi definitely would've deserved an assist, too, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuswald and PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
A lot of his fans are impressed with how busy he is on the ice. To me he has no sense. In one sequence last night he was working the puck perimeter, had managed to avoid one check, and with time, for some reason he passes the puck up high in opposition zone causing his D to have to fight the play the rest of the way trying to prevent an odd man rush which resulted in a PP. All from Caggs decision. He's so random out there. The oilers like him because he's trying to make the quick play, but he doesn't make good plays more than bad ones.

To me its what you accomplish with the puck, not that you look busy with it. Cagg is kind of a fraud that way. Because it hockey here its assumed high energy is a good thing. sometimes its just random.

One final message from me about this OT... I'm still willing to give him a bit more than this one game, but I'd say in a truly great team a player like Caggiula is a 4th liner or doesn't play at all. I think it's gonna be like that this year, which also tells that there's some pretty good players pushing in which would be great for the Oilers and the internal competition.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I just watched a long version of the highlights. There isn't enough material to draw strong personal conclusions, but Puljujarvi looked very very fast. Stood out easily in that regard. Last season I was wondering how come he was sometimes flying, but there were times when he lost the extra bit that really made him stand out.

A better goalie probably could've stopped the goal, but Jesse has a good wrister so sometimes they go in and may look easier than they are. I think Rattie's breakaway goal looked a bit easy, too, but probably wasn't one. Watching the highlights confirmed Puljujarvi definitely would've deserved an assist, too, but that's how it goes sometimes.

JP definitely had more hustle last night. His execution is still awkward but at least he's skating harder unlike last year. He's also engaging and asserting himself a bit more. Just still very raw IMO

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Man, when your mind is made up, it's made up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Man, when your mind is made up, it's made up.
Irony noted. If you looked at my exchange this AM collectively in this thread my takeaway from the game is not all that unreasonable. But if you have a preconceived conception of my opinion and single out one comment then...

unless you we're speaking about Caggiulia or Nillson. My opinion of their lack of merit is unwavering as stated. I have hope for Pulju.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
JP definitely had more hustle last night. His execution is still awkward but at least he's skating harder unlike last year. He's also engaging and asserting himself a bit more. Just still very raw IMO

If he can keep that kind of energy level it should bring some good things, both to himself and the team. I am not surprised to hear there's still some rawness, but then again there's still things to improve which raises the possible ceiling higher up. On the other hand the first game after the summer is usually difficult, last summer Jesse's first preseason game was his most difficult one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was our best player hands down.

Shots were 11-3 in our favour with him on the ice. He flat out dominated his ice time.

how much of this was due to Rattie having an excellent game? Just saying but I can't see how somebody could watch that game and not have the view that Rattie was the best Oilers forward performance last night. With Pulju 2nd. just saying, because the bolded is odd. Rattie had a standout game.

Reactions: Consultant

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

It's not a lack of speed, but I think it's a lack of understanding where to be on the ice for certain plays. I think with a year of being here in Edmonton and learning English a bit more, he will do much better this year. You can see he sometimes hesitates on certain plays last year and played a bit 'cautious'. But I think he will show much better this year and prove to people he is a 'steal' at 4th Overall, just like Draisaitl was a steal :D

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
how much of this was due to Rattie having an excellent game? Just saying but I can't see how somebody could watch that game and not have the view that Rattie was the best Oilers forward performance last night. With Pulju 2nd. just saying, because the bolded is odd. Rattie had a standout game.

Rattie had a strong game as well. A little quiet early but finished very strong. I’m happy for Rattie I have high hopes for him on our top line.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
In camp I think it's best not to get too fine grained with your assessments as these are the 1st games after a long summer off played against questionable competition and playing with rusty teammates as well... obviously that skews the results and some players look better/worse in their initial impressions than they could look after getting several more games under their belts.

-Good
-Not overly noticeable/neutral
-underwhelming

That's how I pretty much bin everyone and as long as a player doesn't have 2 underwhelming games in a row... I cut them some slack.

Of course in a short camp like this... many marginal players get only 1 look (maybe 2 if lucky) and even if they are neutral... they are likely cut anyway... nature of the beast when you have to go from 63 players to ~23 in basically 2 weeks.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Looked like a different player last night... slimmer, faster, more confident, and didn't look like he was lost on the ice like sometimes he did in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad