Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Last thread hit 1K posts. This is a huge season for him and the team, whether he works his way up the lineup or does a solid job as the 3rd line RW we really need him to step his game up this season.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-he-eats-pizza.2514779/page-41#post-149569391

Just a reply to this post...

I honestly feel there are tools waiting, but the toolbox isn't allowed to be opened

This goes back to what Drivesaitl's remark regarding JP can do no wrong group. No one is preventing his toolbox from opening; the problem is JP has no clue how to best utilize it himself

As someone mentioned earlier regarding Laine-guy is a top 5 scorer in the league. He's gonna get the long rope regardless since he's proven that consistently in the 2 seasons he's been playing. JP has only proven one thing - he's terribly inconsistent.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
A new thread, new season and maybe a kind of a fresh start to us fans too. I hope it's a new beginning to Jesse's NHL career and for TM to use and trust him more.

I repeat myself. There's a monster in there waiting to be released. We saw some flashes last year and I really hope he can do that more consistently throughout the year now.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/jesse-puljujärvi-his-mouth-contain-his-tongue-only-when-he-eats-pizza.2514779/page-41#post-149569391

Just a reply to this post...

I honestly feel there are tools waiting, but the toolbox isn't allowed to be opened

This goes back to what Drivesaitl's remark regarding JP can do no wrong group. No one is preventing his toolbox from opening; the problem is JP has no clue how to best utilize it himself

As someone mentioned earlier regarding Laine-guy is a top 5 scorer in the league. He's gonna get the long rope regardless since he's proven that consistently in the 2 seasons he's been playing. JP has only proven one thing - he's terribly inconsistent.

I don't think anyone was comparing the rope with current Laine. Of course Laine has now a long long leash and that's how it should be.

With the toolbox I was referring to the PP. He was a hot player for quite a while but didn't get a chance while the PP sucked. At the end of the year, while there was nothing to lose, he still didn't get a chance. That's what I meant.

E: By getting a chance I was talking about being used in his own position, the one he'd succeeded at in every level before the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pulju is at the point where his junior career doesn't matter to current Pulju at all. This is the year he either takes the reigns of his own career or takes the long hard path to NHL success.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A new thread, new season and maybe a kind of a fresh start to us fans too. I hope it's a new beginning to Jesse's NHL career and for TM to use and trust him more.

I repeat myself. There's a monster in there waiting to be released. We saw some flashes last year and I really hope he can do that more consistently throughout the year now.

I had tried to respond to your last post in other thread about Pulju scoring ability. But thread closed as I was posting.

Readers digest version is when did Pulju last score 30 goals for his team in one season. Going on NHL stats last I have this is 2-12-13 in Karpat under18. Other than tournaments has he scored prolifically elsewhere that I'm not seeing?

In anycase this is the NHL, and as thousands have players have found a whole lot harder nut to crack. Open space limited, D can skate fast in any direction, are huge, and Pulju has no size advantage at this level. Specifically he has a lot of difficulty protecting the puck here, something he did for fun in Finland.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't think anyone was comparing the rope with current Laine. Of course Laine has now a long long leash and that's how it should be.

With the toolbox I was referring to the PP. He was a hot player for quite a while but didn't get a chance while the PP sucked. At the end of the year, while there was nothing to lose, he still didn't get a chance. That's what I meant.

E: By getting a chance I was talking about being used in his own position, the one he'd succeeded at in every level before the NHL.

He doesn't "need" the PP just to be a good player. He can use his 'toolbox' even during ES where the majority of the game is played. The problem has always been his inability to consistently play an assertive game.

Pulju is at the point where his junior career doesn't matter to current Pulju at all. This is the year he either takes the reigns of his own career or takes the long hard path to NHL success.

This. At this stage, 2 years in, his draft rank doesn't matter and his junior accomplishments don't really mean much. He just needs to prove his worth in the league if he's to have an NHL career.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I had tried to respond to your last post in other thread about Pulju scoring ability. But thread closed as I was posting.

Readers digest version is when did Pulju last score 30 goals for his team in one season. Going on NHL stats last I have this is 2-12-13 in Karpat under18. Other than tournaments has he scored prolifically elsewhere that I'm not seeing?

In anycase this is the NHL, and as thousands have players have found a whole lot harder nut to crack. Open space limited, D can skate fast in any direction, are huge, and Pulju has no size advantage at this level. Specifically he has a lot of difficulty protecting the puck here, something he did for fun in Finland.

After that:

2013-2014: 21 goals in 27 games. Most games as U16 in the U20 league.
2014-2015 : 24 goals in 47 games. Over 3/4 against adults (21 games in the FEL, 15 in the FEL 2nd)
2015-2016: 13 goals in 50 games. All in the FEL. Offensively a quiet start but terrific spring season, including 4 goals in 9 tough playoff games besides the ones I counted.

At some point I counted that Puljujarvi scored about 90% of the goals Laine did before the NHL so there's nothing wrong with his goal production earlier. But he is not a pure scorer. At the draft year he scored 5 goals in 9 games at the WJC-20 and 5 goals in 4 games (mainly playoffs) at the WJC-18.

Puljujarvi didn't really utilize his size in the FEL, but I agree NHL is another league and a bigger challenge. He really was such an exceptional junior TM needs to take a look in the mirror, too, if he can't grow Jesse into an important piece in three years.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He doesn't "need" the PP just to be a good player. He can use his 'toolbox' even during ES where the majority of the game is played.

I thought he was a pretty good player for quite a while last year. But NHL is a really tough league and many young players need good linemates and/or PP to get enough space. Puljujarvi is one of them so in that sense there's things to work with. However, there are teams that realize that and are not afraid of putting their younsters to a position to succeed. What I meant was PP could've been a huge boost to Jesse's confidence and I think he really could've helped the team, but it's been two years and he still hasn't got that chance.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
My issue with JP on the 3rd line without PP time, is simply I would have rather him develop in the FEL and AHL. We're wasting his ELC years by trying to turn him into a checker.

I'd rather he develop his offensive game fully rather than be a 200 foot player. I still don't know why we did that to Nuge.

Seems like a waste of talent.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My issue with JP on the 3rd line without PP time, is simply I would have rather him develop in the FEL and AHL. We're wasting his ELC years by trying to turn him into a checker.

I'd rather he develop his offensive game fully rather than be a 200 foot player. I still don't know why we did that to Nuge.

Seems like a waste of talent.
I mean he wasn't excelling in the AHL.

I wouldn't classify our third line as a checking line either.

I agree third line without PP time wouldn't be best but I definitely see him getting PP time at least on the second pairing.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean he wasn't excelling in the AHL.

I wouldn't classify our third line as a checking line either.

I agree third line without PP time wouldn't be best but I definitely see him getting PP time at least on the second pairing.
I think this season should have been his rookie season.

Should have stayed in the FEL and dominated there.

Dominated the WJHC again.

Then a year in the AHL.

We got nothing out of his 2 seasons with the big club, and he didn't seem to get much out of it either.

We should maybe given him his 9 games last year before demoting him to the AHL.

I don't believe players of his ilk and pedigree should be slopping around on 3rd lines with no PP time. Let them mature physically and ripen a bit.

Worked for Jason Spezza. Getlaf and Perry had to prove they were too good for the AHL.

We're too accustomed to rushing offensive prospects or placing them in 3rd lines with inferior talents. The AHL is a great transitionary development league that we never use for our top offensive prospects.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think this season should have been his rookie season.

Should have stayed in the FEL and dominated there.

Dominated the WJHC again.

Then a year in the AHL.

We got nothing out of his 2 seasons with the big club, and he didn't seem to get much out of it either.

We should maybe given him his 9 games last year before demoting him to the AHL.

I don't believe players of his ilk and pedigree should be slopping around on 3rd lines with no PP time. Let them mature physically and ripen a bit.

Worked for Jason Spezza. Getlaf and Perry had to prove they were too good for the AHL.
So out Pulju back in the AHL until he is at least good in the AHL.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yes.

It's better than having him play on our 3rd.

Hes an offensive player. We need him to develop his offensive game at the professional level. He wasnt drafted 4th overall to be a grinder.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Edit: Based on his play there so far, could be a long while.

LOL come on, this is just ridiculous. He didn't out perform the top talents in the AHL but he's been just fine in the AHL. You seem to dislike Pulju almost as much as Raab dislikes Nurse, lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
LOL come on, this is just ridiculous. He didn't out perform the top talents in the AHL but he's been just fine in the AHL. You seem to dislike Pulju almost as much as Raab dislikes Nurse, lol.
I was hyped on him but ever since his draft Day he has been incredibly disappointing and hasn't been even close to the player he showed before that

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He should be on one of the top two lines, preferably the 1st line with mcdavid. The guy has size scores in tight greasy goals and in time will be a top winger, if they stick with him and don't put him with lunks of the 3rd and 4th lines.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was hyped on him but ever since his draft Day he has been incredibly disappointing and hasn't been even close to the player he showed before that

I agree. I haven't given up on him though.

Honestly there is no way Jesse has the game to be on McDavids line facing the toughest comp in the League. It has to be the 2nd or 3rd line.
I think the 3rd line is just fine...Jesse can apply himself and force the coach to move him up the lineup. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I hope he gets around 15 minutes per game with significant PP time. If he gets that, I expect a 20+20 season, minimum. Hopefully more though.

Reactions: PulYou

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I disagree with this. I think he’s learned how hard this league is and how much he needs to put in to be successful. I’m expecting big things from him this year.
Criticisms of him seem to be based around his lankiness and awkwardness.

I think it would've been better he grow out of that before joining the NHL.

Other criticisms seem to be around his lack of confidence, and lack of trust coaches seem to have with him due to inconsistency.

Again, things he should've grown into in the AHL or FEL.

I don't think JP has been a big contributor to wins in the NHL. That's what we need from him. Hone his elite toolset into something usable. Most of what he needs is time and maturity.

There's no shame in developing a prospect the 'correct' way.

Last edited:

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I don’t see the hockey sense or IQ, I don’t think he processes the play quickly enough. So I say turn him into a Holmstrom and you’ll have one of the most dominant net front presences in the league. He’s great in close, heck get Ryan Smyth teaching him how to deflect and battle in front. We need a big down low threat but he has to get to the net to be effective. I don’t see him as an off the rush star.

Make the safe play, keep it simple, use your size. Get to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino