Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don't like Jesse being demoted, BUT without line usage and ice time numbers we don't even know IF he's been demoted yet. So let's wait and see. On that note. Jesse has been invisible the last 3 games and took a dumb penalty last game, he hasn't been doing much lately. Which is really disappointing cause he looked amazing in that 1 game.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It's almost surreal seeing that lineup. It's unbelievable (or should I say believable) that Pulju continues to fester in the bottom 6 while Yamamoto, who hasn't done jack **** against NHL lineups, continues to get fed top 6 minutes.

It's not like Pulju has done much either but how can he when he gets zero trust from his coaches. I'm not even upset about it anymore, I'm just sad about it at this point.

I have a question for the few who still defend Mclellan. Who has developed in his 3 years here? McDavid doesn't count.
What bothers me is that I was very happy with the hire, unlike the previous ones in the DoD. I thought that they finally hired a qualified individual who wasn't a dinosaur (with all due respect to the late Pat Quinn) and this is what we get? It sucks man.

Khaira is really the only one who I would say has positive development. But not sure you can say thats because of the coach.

Nurse has improved but once again I think thats mainly due to age and maturing.

Beyond that hes done more damage than good, imo. Its a young players league, you have to give them ice time. You have to put your players in positions to succeed (and fail), which TM doesnt do.

Even McDavid he is hurting imo, because of in ability to make adjustments (especially on the PP), he ends up hurting his offense (and ultimately less wins for the team).

I also think TM is really brutal with the way he handles goaltending.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Don't like Jesse being demoted, BUT without line usage and ice time numbers we don't even know IF he's been demoted yet. So let's wait and see. On that note. Jesse has been invisible the last 3 games and took a dumb penalty last game, he hasn't been doing much lately. Which is really disappointing cause he looked amazing in that 1 game.

Honestly the whole team looked bad in the last game. Even McDavid didnt look his usual self. I honestly think its tough on young players who dont get ice time. JP is probably so afraid to make mistakes and play the game, because he knows that if he does anything wrong, hes even going to get less ice time. If they gave him 15+ minutes a night, I think it would allow him to be more comfortable. JP does get himself into trouble with penalties (his reach is a gift and a curse) but honestly I dont even see the kid making many defensive mistakes out there, so he rarely even hurts the team when he isnt playing well.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It's almost surreal seeing that lineup. It's unbelievable (or should I say believable) that Pulju continues to fester in the bottom 6 while Yamamoto, who hasn't done jack **** against NHL lineups, continues to get fed top 6 minutes.

It's not like Pulju has done much either but how can he when he gets zero trust from his coaches. I'm not even upset about it anymore, I'm just sad about it at this point.

I have a question for the few who still defend Mclellan. Who has developed in his 3 years here? McDavid doesn't count.
What bothers me is that I was very happy with the hire, unlike the previous ones in the DoD. I thought that they finally hired a qualified individual who wasn't a dinosaur (with all due respect to the late Pat Quinn) and this is what we get? It sucks man.
Man, same. I was so happy with McLellan's hire. Chia was the one I wasn't entirely happy with. I was so excited with the offensive style he had Team Canada playing at the World's before he started with us. And now look at him. Eugh.

Reactions: McCupofOil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I like Yamo but was thinking the same thing. If the sole purpose is keeping his 2nd contract down, they may well do that while also ruining the best prospect that we've had outside of McDavid and maybe Drai since RNH and Hall. He plays a two way game so it's not like he is unaware of playing a two way game. We have one Lucic to bulldoze everyone out there and Kassian who SHOULD be doing it, Jesse needs to play a skilled game Todd, he wasn't drafted as a Smyth type you hard headed son of a gun.

The real sign for me that Todd isn't a fan of JP is when he was excellent most of preseason then was riding pine in the 3 on 3 situation while Yamamoto and Strome (who were poor in that game) got their opportunity. I thought to myself right there and then that no matter what the kid does, he will always fall behind in the pecking order relative to the other young forwards.

I understood to an extent why he wasn't getting promotions the first 2 seasons because he didn't do enough to earn the coaches trust (although why he never got opportunity late last season is beyond me) but there's no justification for not rewarding him for strong preseason play. If anything, he cut down on his minutes. Ridiculous

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Khaira is really the only one who I would say has positive development. But not sure you can say thats because of the coach.

Nurse has improved but once again I think thats mainly due to age and maturing.

Beyond that hes done more damage than good, imo. Its a young players league, you have to give them ice time. You have to put your players in positions to succeed (and fail), which TM doesnt do.

Even McDavid he is hurting imo, because of in ability to make adjustments (especially on the PP), he ends up hurting his offense (and ultimately less wins for the team).

I also think TM is really brutal with the way he handles goaltending.

I was going to say Khaira but if preseason and Game 1 is any indication, it looks like he flatlined.

Look at all the regressions last season, look at how poor Hall and Eberle were under him relative to the rest of their career. Nuge had his worst season under Mclellan, Pouliot. The #4 pick is still barely treading water going into his 3rd season etc.
Even a premier talent like Drai looks a bit lost away from McDavid.

I'm looking real hard for positive progress under Mclellan's watch and I don't see it anywhere.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He looked really good for 5 straight games.

Funny how 1 average preseason game, a meaningless exhibition match, and then the entire team looking like crap against Jersey is enough to get Jesse demoted and some fans will actually try justify his demotion.

What is really disappointing is that the entire team looked like crap and guess who gets the demotion.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Todd McLellan = Dallas Eakins at this point.

Literally was about to type this up till I seen you post it.

We need to get rid of Todd soon, at this point, would anyone really be opposed to a slow start, like 0-4 coming out of the gate if it means Mclellan getting fired? He does absolutely nothing positive for this organization and we would still have a ton of hockey left to salvage the season.

Jesse is way more important for the long term than Todd is and he is ruining this kid. Factor that in with his stupid decisions such as the PP and how poorly set up it is, I want him gone sooner rather than later.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This team will continue to fail so long as it can’t develop is prospects properly.

They can't even develop their top prospects. We've complained for years that they can't develop outside of the 1st round. Well, they can't even develop their top 5 picks anymore under Mclellan.

BTW, this isn't based on just one game for those who want to cry out that this is an exaggeration based on just one game. There were major flaws in his coaching even in the good season but it was masked by several players playing at an elite level. Even that season, most of the depth players didn't play up to par. It was only late in the season that some of the non-McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot, Larsson players woke up.

Reactions: Zaddy and PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
They can't even develop their top prospects. We've complained for years that they can't develop outside of the 1st round. Well, they can't even develop their top 5 picks anymore under Mclellan.

BTW, this isn't based on just one game for those who want to cry out that this is an exaggeration based on just one game. There were major flaws in his coaching even in the good season but it was masked by several players playing at an elite level. Even that season, most of the depth players didn't play up to par. It was only late in the season that some of the non-McDavid, Draisaitl, Talbot, Larsson players woke up.

In 2016-17 McLellan got so much extra for the team he basically had to bring results. Two ppg/over ppg players (McDavid and Drai) and #7 pick defender (Nurse) had entry level contracts, as did Puljujarvi, who had a smaller role but still filled that pretty well for a few months (and thus saved a bit of money for other use).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I dont even want Puljujarvi on the team at this point.. send him somewhere away from this toxic waste dump of an organization.

I wonder how long until he and his agent start to feel the same way.

Just watch Caggiula will be given top 6 minutes this year before Puljujarvi. It’ll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille