Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Better players get more ice time.

More at 11.

Of course I know how you feel about Pulju, and maybe some others in the team too, and I certainly don't want to seem like I'm trying to push my opinion to you.

However, I'm sure many would agree with me if I say in hockey it doesn't always go that the better players get more ice time. It's just more complicated than that. Especially with things line linemates and PP usage. I could tell numerous examples of this, but I really don't want to seem like I'm starting an argument. So let's just agree to disagree and that's fine.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Of course I know how you feel about Pulju, and maybe some others in the team too, and I certainly don't want to seem like I'm trying to push my opinion to you.

However, I'm sure many would agree with me if I say in hockey it doesn't always go that the better players get more ice time. It's just more complicated than that. Especially with things line linemates and PP usage. I could tell numerous examples of this, but I really don't want to seem like I'm starting an argument. So let's just agree to disagree and that's fine.
Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most accurate one.

Puljujarvi isn't very good. Thats why he doesn't get more ice time and opportunity. Until he gets better, he'll continue to get 11-13 minutes a night and 2nd unit PP time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Puljujarvi isn't very good. Thats why he doesn't get more ice time and opportunity. Until he gets better, he'll continue to get 11-13 minutes a night and 2nd unit PP time.

Or maybe a skilled player should play with... skilled players. Sometimes it is that simple.
Skilled players usually play better with skilled players. Look no farther than Drai who is also sinking away from skilled players.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
What grinds my gears me is that TMac has no issue tossing Pulju under the bus meanwhile the entire franchise has to walk on egg shells with Lucic and Russell.

We are being told to celebrate Lucic throwing some hits and scoring a McDavid tap in goal.....

I just want every player to be held to the same standard.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

With respect, that's your way to look at it. If we put it your way can't we say that the best players play in the NHL. So why did Nylander play only 22 games in his draft+2 year?

You may feel Pulju's not good enough and that's okay, as it's a matter of taste and can't be proved right or wrong. My opinion is he was just as good or even better than some other similar prospects in the top6 role, but some teams chose very different paths to develop and to bring the most out of their prospects.

In fact the comparison I made can also been seen as a positive. After all Puljujarvi played with lesser players, and his ESP/60 was still almost the same and +- a whopping 24 goals better than Rantanen's, who's just shining now. So it all depends on the point of view.

Reactions: PulYou

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Why Tmac is hard on Puljujarvi , It's because Puljujarvi is young always happy and comes off as not a care in the world and full of life, as for Tmac he and Eakins are of the same mold , you must be serious 24/7 no time for fun in the NHL serious commitment 24/7 no exceptions ,Jesse ,none

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I am aware there are mixed feelings for Puljujarvi, but I guess it's hard to argue that while he was playing in the top6 he was a pretty good goal scorer at least statistically.

Even until some mid March he was the best scoring winger of the team and still at the end of March his ESG/60 was about the same as Drai's.

I hope things work out in the Oilers, but I believe he still carries a good value if he's traded for e.g. a defender or a more experienced winger. After all he's got some stats Chia could use to show he can be a useful player for a team that's willing to use him in the top6.

Reactions: PulYou and Studz

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions

You know who also wasn't very good... William Karlsson. 25 points in 81 games, 21 points in 81 games the year before.

Then he was given a chance in Vegas. Good thing for Vegas he didn't get a chance to shine in Columbus.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
What grinds my gears me is that TMac has no issue tossing Pulju under the bus meanwhile the entire franchise has to walk on egg shells with Lucic and Russell.

We are being told to celebrate Lucic throwing some hits and scoring a McDavid tap in goal.....

I just want every player to be held to the same standard.

Sometimes guys like Lucic and Russell are used to protect the rookie players from responsiblity. When Yakupov was playing on the first line against star players he looked worse, not better.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Look at last year. We were basically out of the playoffs by December and instead of putting our prized prospect in the top 6 we put new players to the team like Aberg in the top 6. Pretty much anyone but JP gets an extended look in the top 6. Most teams would have had JP as a lock on the PP and playing with skilled players, we put him in a grinding role and expect him to succeed while trying to carry Strome and whatever garbage winger they put on the line.

Yes it was unbelievable. They were even putting Mike Camellari in the PP instead and everyone knew he wouldn't be back with the Oilers.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Yeah I heard that, it was him basically throwing Jesse under the bus. If there was any doubt that he has an issue with Jesse this nugget should put that doubt to rest.

McLellan can't be gone fast enough. He knows everyone and their dog is questioning his handling of everything Oilers. Since Puljujarvi is front and center in the discussion I now fully expect him to be treated even worse then before. Hard to imagine and a terrible situation. I just hope McLellan is gone before another year of development is wasted.

North

Jun 25, 2009
McLellan can't be gone fast enough. He knows everyone and their dog is questioning his handling of everything Oilers. Since Puljujarvi is front and center in the discussion I now fully expect him to be treated even worse then before. Hard to imagine and a terrible situation. I just hope McLellan is gone before another year of development is wasted.

I've never seen a coach actively stifle a player the way McLellan does Puljujarvi.

Most players on other teams that are destined to be top 6 players are given every opportunity to show they belong. The only time they are placed in the bottom 6 is when they are struggling and usually it's for a couple of games.

That second line is not working with Yamamoto. It's not Yamamoto's fault, but they should be trying Puljujarvi there.

Puljujarvi can be a handful for defenders and his combination of size, speed, and skill is exactly what that line needs.

Puljujarvi is miscast in the bottom 6.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You know who also wasn't very good... William Karlsson. 25 points in 81 games, 21 points in 81 games the year before.

Then he was given a chance in Vegas. Good thing for Vegas he didn't get a chance to shine in Columbus.
For every William karlsson there is 100 Nail Yakupovs.

Players bust. All the time.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ask Sharks fans what they thought of Todd's handling of Hertl.

Best season of Hertl's career in terms of points per game came in his rookie season as a 20 year old under McLellan. Since DeBoer has taken over, Hertl's ice time has slowly gone up year over year. And he's still not matched the type of per game production he had as a rookie. Settled into a ~45 point player.

Hardly the star he looked like he would become in his rookie year under McLellan.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Best season of Hertl's career in terms of points per game came in his rookie season as a 20 year old under McLellan. Since DeBoer has taken over, Hertl's ice time has slowly gone up year over year. And he's still not matched the type of per game production he had as a rookie. Settled into a ~45 point player.

Hardly the star he looked like he would become in his rookie year under McLellan.

What happened the season after? Lol

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
For every William karlsson there is 100 Nail Yakupovs.

Players bust. All the time.

You would be wrong.

The list of players drafted first overall that are complete busts is extremely small.

Just the last 10 years...

Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
McKinnon
Ekblad
McDavid
Matthews
Hischier
Dahlin

1/10

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You would be wrong.

The list of players drafted first overall that are complete busts is extremely small.

Just the last 10 years...

Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
McKinnon
Ekblad
McDavid
Matthews
Hischier
Dahlin

1/10
You obviously missed my point.

My point was that for every case of a player like William Karlsson who just needed to be in the right spot, there are dozens and dozens of players who in the end just aren't actually any good. The waiver wire is littered with them every season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What happened the season after? Lol
Standard ups and downs of a young player? There is a reason why "sophomore slump" is a term every sports fan knows.

Happened under DeBoer too with Hertl btw. Went from 46 points in 81 games down to 22 in 49 the next year.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
The NHL is not a development league, it is a win-hockey-games league. This player has shown very limited contribution in the "win-hockey-games" department.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
The NHL is not a development league, it is a win-hockey-games league. This player has shown very limited contribution in the "win-hockey-games" department.

The whole team with an exception of a few players have shown very limited contribution to the "win-hockey-games" department. Which is the point.

Might as well give Puljujarvi his opportunity to play in a top six and have a significant opportunity to contribute to the "win-hockey-games" department as the players who are given the opportunity are failing miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad