Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
To me McLellan didn't give him a slightest chance in this game. The demotion on fourth line was real (although it was hidden making it look like he started on the third). And along with Rieder he played least.

If McLellan continues coaching, I hope Chiarelli makes the right move and trades Pulju. Oilers could use some defensive talent for example...

He was trash. Deal with it

Reactions: fuswald

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
EJ gave half of the forwards the grade 4 and Puljujarvi was one of them. I didn't watch the game so I can't say anything about his performance, but obviously that was one his most difficult games so far. Which I wasn't too surprised about. From the GDT comments I read he was pretty invisible most of the game and then had one or two bad shifts in the 3rd one.

I'd hope Puljujarvi would be strong enough to not be affected by the way he's handled, but it's now clear what an effect this has on him. After a strong preseason he got absolutely no reward, instead the players around started to change and his TOI started to drop. Him playing less than 3 minutes in the 1st period shows how much Todd trusts him and probably ate him inside. Now I guess I should put a disclaimer that this doesn't mean Puljujarvi can't do and didn't do anything wrong.

What I also paid attention to in the article was how terrible Strome was at faceoffs again, winning only 3 out of 14. That means the line had only three shifts in the whole game that they don't have to start by chasing the puck. That has to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulYou

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So Pulju has a strong preseason and states he likes playing with Strome (and Khaira). That combo survived one game...

Strome struggled again in the faceoff dot. I wonder if I might be a good idea to swap him to Draisaitl's RW, and let Khaira and Brodziak be the bottom 6 centres...

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Rieder/Yama-Khaira-Puljujarvi
Rieder/Caggs-Brodziak-Kassian/Chiasson

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Another less than full effort game for Puljujarvi. 2 for 2. I would have benched him. Least effort on the entire team. Maybe he had the flu like RNH.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Another less than full effort game for Puljujarvi. 2 for 2. I would have benched him. Least effort on the entire team. Maybe he had the flu like RNH.

hmmm I wonder why is that...?

maybe because he got put in 4th line even though he had done nothing to deserve that. Not to mention 0 PP time for a player who is clearly an offensive minded guy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just don’t see it with this player. I absolutely agree that he’s getting treated rather shabbily but he fails to make any kind of impact when he’s on the ice. Some kind of self fulfilling prophecy, I guess.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
hmmm I wonder why is that...?

maybe because he got put in 4th line even though he had done nothing to deserve that. Not to mention 0 PP time for a player who is clearly an offensive minded guy.
Yes lets blame his effort on the coach.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Yes lets blame his effort on the coach.

It’s hard not to.

McLellan likes to talk about people earning their spot but that doesn’t extend to Puljujarvi.

Did he reward him once for an undeniably strong preseason? No.

Yamamoto was rewarded for his strong play with a chance to play with Drai.

Puljujarvi gets punished for mistakes but never gets rewarded for playing well.

McLellan has stunted his growth.

Reactions: McAsuno and PulYou

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I just don’t see it with this player. I absolutely agree that he’s getting treated rather shabbily but he fails to make any kind of impact when he’s on the ice. Some kind of self fulfilling prophecy, I guess.

Still fumbles the puck and is tentative, but you can still see the skill/vision. Sadly he's still better than Kassian.

I don't see a point of playing him 10-13mins a night with 4th line grinders. I'd send him to the AHL for 10 games to get serious playing time. Todd obvious hates him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Still fumbles the puck and is tentative, but you can still see the skill/vision. Sadly he's still better than Kassian.

I don't see a point of playing him 10-13mins a night with 4th line grinders. I'd send him to the AHL for 10 games to get serious playing time. Todd obvious hates him.
Some AHL time to let him play and get his confidence back would be ideal.

But it's hard to trust this organization to do what's best for the players and not what's best for themselves.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
i'm a fan of this player but he looked like junk tonight.
Totally. I want him to succeed too, but his performance last night warrants a press box move. He did absolutely nothing in that game. He wasn't the only one and there's no need to compare him to others. Fact is, we've seen too many outings from him like last night where he doesn't show up and doesn't do a thing to make himself noticed in the game.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
What about as an alternative to the above suggested AHL visit they'd actually try to do something to feed his confidence. Put him to top6 and give him a place in the shooter's position on the 1st PP unit and tell him they're not planning to bench/drop him down after the first mistake. If that doesn't work then it's time to rethink, but based on his performances earlier he should be able to fill that role just fine.

I believe the problem is Jesse may get put off too easily and now he feels after a very promising preseason things have suddenly started as they ended last season. Todd also talked about some players having to prove their place in the team and I believe Puljujarvi feels he's one of those and now he's already playing 4th line minutes with 4th line players in his 2nd game.

It's hard to step into anyone's shoes and of course mental issues are something players should learn to overcome, but try to imagine the situation. You have a great preseason and you step into the new season with a lot of hope and excitement. Then you realize the coach still doesn't trust you on 4-on-4 or other special team situations and puts you down to the 4th line already for the 2nd game of the season.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Puljujarvi has skill. I think one of the issues is that the entire team is lacking in skill. Trading him now is a panic move.

I'd much rather see the coaches step up to the plate and make some changes to the lines:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula (could care less if Lucic pouts - he's on the top PP ffs)
Khaira - Brodziak - Chiasson
Kassian Yamamoto (possibly to Bakersfield for seasoning)

The Oilers are still two top 4 D and two top 6 forwards away from being a playoff team. I have no doubt that Chiarelli and McLellan will take the fall unless the GM, in particular, can pull off some miracle deals to add to the roster. On paper, the Oilers aren't good. So far this season, they've been at that level on the ice.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
JP was the 2nd best oiler during the preseason and now hes gettting crapped all over again. I just hope todd is gone before they trade JP

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think most of us understand that Puljujarvi still has a lot to learn.

The problem is Todd isn’t doing anything to help him learn.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Some AHL time to let him play and get his confidence back would be ideal.

But it's hard to trust this organization to do what's best for the players and not what's best for themselves.

They aren't even trusted to do what's best for themselves, come on now. If they could do that we'd at least see playoffs more than once a decade.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think most of us understand that Puljujarvi still has a lot to learn.

The problem is Todd isn’t doing anything to help him learn.
Obviously Todd can't speak Finnish. How do you expect him to communicate that to him?

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
From Lowetide's blog today: "I don’t think the coaching staff sees JP as a dynamic player. If I’m Carolina, I’d make an offer for the big Finn this morning. You never know."

At this point I am hoping they are making the call. I don't trust that Jesse will get a shot from
McLellan.

I am sad to write this, but I see a talented player there and Oilers are doing their best to ruin him, his confidence. And while some of You don't see it, there is a pattern there and it was not the first time McLellan did it.

No need to point out that, it is poor asset management as well.

Lowetide.ca | A Worried Mind

Reactions: McAsuno and North

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Hmmm if only we could teach people by showing.

Was your comment serious?

Show how, is there some kind of system or language where you sign with your hands? This is not some fantasy novel, we use words in the real world.

Learn to speak Jesse.

Signed Todd

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly don't see the "skill" with this player. This is a lot like Yakupov where skill is a tag that's applied but I don't really see any dynamic puck skills with this player.

McLellan is not helping him, but he's really does not look very dynamic offensively to me either.

I can see why Columbus passed on this guy he is nowhere close to a Matthews or Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad