Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
A trade to Carolina is probably something Pulju dreams of, mainly because of Aho.

Teräväinen - Aho - Pulju would be damn entertaining line to watch.

Hopefully things still turn to better with him and the Oilers (although there are no signs of that).

I agree with all you wrote, including the last sentence. It's interesting Aho seems to be playing around 20 minutes a game, where Puljujarvi as someone who takes physical training to the extreme "has to" be sheltered with lower minutes.

As much as it hurts from the Oilers view, I think Carolina would be a great place for Pulju. I'm sure the PP would be terrific as Aho and him formed an amazing PP duo earlier.

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I was not happy with what I saw here in europe

Pulju didn't shine and had a pretty quiet game so he played his part also, but according to what I read (and watched a part of the game) he was still the best player of his line, and probably better than at least Yamamoto in the top6. Strome didn't get much done as a center and as he lost 6/9 faceoffs that meant the line started their shifts with the puck only three times in the whole game. Unlike some other forwards it's also hard for Jesse to kind of save his game with PP points.

As the "connection with Strome" is done after just one game I was hoping he'd get a chance with Drai, but am not too surprised he ended up down to the 4th line.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I agree with all you wrote, including the last sentence. It's interesting Aho seems to be playing around 20 minutes a game, where Puljujarvi as someone who takes physical training to the extreme "has to" be sheltered with lower minutes.

As much as it hurts from the Oilers view, I think Carolina would be a great place for Pulju. I'm sure the PP would be terrific as Aho and him formed an amazing PP duo earlier.
Whether Slavin or Pesce for Pulju would be a fair deal for me.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Don't worry, we'll trade him trade straight up for Jesper Sellgren.

Reactions: GameChanger

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
So didnt really follow finish hockey but for those who did could maybe chime in. Alternate universe Winnipeg and Columbus dont win the lottery and the Oilers draft Laine.

Would he still be the 40 goal scorer everyone loves, was his jr play WAY better then Puju? Or is it a result of the coaching he is getting in Winnipeg? Or a bit of both?

Another question is if Puju was in Winnipeg how do you think he would do?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
So didnt really follow finish hockey but for those who did could maybe chime in. Alternate universe Winnipeg and Columbus dont win the lottery and the Oilers draft Laine.

Would he still be the 40 goal scorer everyone loves, was his jr play WAY better then Puju? Or is it a result of the coaching he is getting in Winnipeg? Or a bit of both?

His accent is wrong. 4th line duty for Laine if he's here under McLellan.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Well Laine probably would never have gotten any pp time and he'd probably be in the same boat because Laine outside of his shot isn't really a game breaker yet.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

To answer part of Your first question, here are some interesting statistic from them.

Statistical analysis from the Finnish League: Jesse Puljujärvi and Patrik Laine

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
There was a time I rated Pulju higher than Laine, but I gotta admit I underestimated Laine because he didn't really tickle my eyes the way Pulju does at his best, but watching him more during his NHL career, he's a very smart player. Also he has that shot of his. During his rookie season Laine got a bigger role than I think anyone expected because of injuries and he ran with it. The rest is history, though his usage has also been a bit puzzling at times. I have no idea how things would've gone in Edmonton, but somehow I have the feeling not quite as well.

If anything I would've thought Pulju is more NHL ready than Laine because his game seems more well-rounded. On the other hand I think Laine is the more ambitious and smarter of the two, both on and off the ice. He had his issues in his younger junior years, but I think he really dealt with those and is now stronger for it. And like I said, I also underestimated Laine because he doesn't have the kind of hustle and bustle about his play like Pulju.

Of "the three" of that WJC line, I think Aho was the great enabler and just as good a prospect as Pulju or Laine.
Despite being older, I think he was actually physically the most raw - I mean the kid looked like a 14 year old when he was 18. You can really see Aho is manning up now in a way most players already do a couple years earlier. While he seems like he'll always be of the lanky type, he has awesome core strength and he's used to playing against way bigger players all through the juniors. Now that he's manning up, he's suddenly on a level playing field. His hockey IQ is off the scales, I really believe he'll be a superstar in the league. Or at least would be if he played in a bigger market. On the other hand he gets to be the man in Carolina. Sorry for the off-topic bit, there's just something about that kid - there was a really nice little video clip of him explaining some play during his rookie year to Jordan Staal on the bench. Sounds silly, but the image of this baby faced rookie instructing a seasoned veteran and the body language of everyone involved seemed to suggest there's really something special there.

What's going on with Pulju in Edmonton? I see he played 2.50 in the first period of tonights game - what's up with that? I haven't followed him or Edmonton much, what I seem to mostly hear is two things - horrible usage and lack of opportunity and Pulju having trouble being consistent. I tried reading the Pulju thread a bit at some point, but it seemed to be a discussion about language skills. Honestly, hockey plays are not rocket science and there was a time when players perhaps not as talented as Pulju would come over with no English skills at all and still play excellent hockey. I think any good hockey player could play hockey in Chinese given a few weeks, without actually understanding a word of the language. I think that issue was overblown. Outside hockey it would be a way bigger problem. It's pretty clear though he's not very talented what comes to picking up new languages :)

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
To me McLellan didn't give him a slightest chance in this game. The demotion on fourth line was real (although it was hidden making it look like he started on the third). And along with Rieder he played least.

If McLellan continues coaching, I hope Chiarelli makes the right move and trades Pulju. Oilers could use some defensive talent for example...

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pulju was bad tonight... Probably finds a spot in the PB next game if not on a flight to CAR for Faulk

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
i'm a fan of this player but he looked like junk tonight.

This is very frustrating to me. Of course he looked like junk after the treatment he got. Almost afraid to do anything on the ice. I only hope people can identify the reason why...

Because it does seem like last two seasons recuring. If You have followed my postings, this was exactly what I was afraid would happen. Not meaning to be condescendig, but I knew it...:(

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
There was a time I rated Pulju higher than Laine, but I gotta admit I underestimated Laine because he didn't really tickle my eyes the way Pulju does at his best, but watching him more during his NHL career, he's a very smart player. Also he has that shot of his. During his rookie season Laine got a bigger role than I think anyone expected because of injuries and he ran with it. The rest is history, though his usage has also been a bit puzzling at times. I have no idea how things would've gone in Edmonton, but somehow I have the feeling not quite as well.

If anything I would've thought Pulju is more NHL ready than Laine because his game seems more well-rounded. On the other hand I think Laine is the more ambitious and smarter of the two, both on and off the ice. He had his issues in his younger junior years, but I think he really dealt with those and is now stronger for it. And like I said, I also underestimated Laine because he doesn't have the kind of hustle and bustle about his play like Pulju.

Of "the three" of that WJC line, I think Aho was the great enabler and just as good a prospect as Pulju or Laine.
Despite being older, I think he was actually physically the most raw - I mean the kid looked like a 14 year old when he was 18. You can really see Aho is manning up now in a way most players already do a couple years earlier. While he seems like he'll always be of the lanky type, he has awesome core strength and he's used to playing against way bigger players all through the juniors. Now that he's manning up, he's suddenly on a level playing field. His hockey IQ is off the scales, I really believe he'll be a superstar in the league. Or at least would be if he played in a bigger market. On the other hand he gets to be the man in Carolina. Sorry for the off-topic bit, there's just something about that kid - there was a really nice little video clip of him explaining some play during his rookie year to Jordan Staal on the bench. Sounds silly, but the image of this baby faced rookie instructing a seasoned veteran and the body language of everyone involved seemed to suggest there's really something special there.

What's going on with Pulju in Edmonton? I see he played 2.50 in the first period of tonights game - what's up with that? I haven't followed him or Edmonton much, what I seem to mostly hear is two things - horrible usage and lack of opportunity and Pulju having trouble being consistent. I tried reading the Pulju thread a bit at some point, but it seemed to be a discussion about language skills. Honestly, hockey plays are not rocket science and there was a time when players perhaps not as talented as Pulju would come over with no English skills at all and still play excellent hockey. I think any good hockey player could play hockey in Chinese given a few weeks, without actually understanding a word of the language. I think that issue was overblown. Outside hockey it would be a way bigger problem. It's pretty clear though he's not very talented what comes to picking up new languages :)

What's going on with JP is that the coach McLellan continuously refuses to give him any chance to shine. He had a good preseason, and nothing has been shown to give him a vote of confidence. Still stuck in the bottom 6 playing with grinders with the expectations to 'grind to the net like a bull' from the coach when that's not his style of play. Not properly utilized on a horrific PP that has the team's 3 best LH centers on one PP, while he's stuck with 4 other RHS on another PP.

TL;DR JP is getting the Yakupov treatment, but he's actually better than Yakupov offensively and defensively.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
To add to all the comments above regarding JP’s development, have any of you taken notice of Matthew Tkachuk? Drafted one position lower than JP by our neighbors to the South. He’s been instrumental for the Flames since his first season, and now he finds himself second in points and wearing an ‘A’ for the team.

The Oilers are doing a great job messing up yet another draft pick.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yup congratz the coach is more concerned with trying to turn Benning into a top 4 defenseman when everything he has ever done has pointed to him not being a player that should be apart of a playoff calibre team.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
To add to all the comments above regarding JP’s development, have any of you taken notice of Matthew Tkachuk? Drafted one position lower than JP by our neighbors to the South. He’s been instrumental for the Flames since his first season, and now he finds himself second in points and wearing an ‘A’ for the team.

The Oilers are doing a great job messing up yet another draft pick.
Might have something to do Tkachuk actually has a brain and knows how to play hockey.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Puju has a bad game today but man, this kids confidence is shattered. Mclellan needs to gtfo ASAP so we can see what we have in Jesse.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
To me McLellan didn't give him a slightest chance in this game. The demotion on fourth line was real (although it was hidden making it look like he started on the third). And along with Rieder he played least.

If McLellan continues coaching, I hope Chiarelli makes the right move and trades Pulju. Oilers could use some defensive talent for example...

He was trash. Deal with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad