Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's a shame the team has lost three in a row, but I believe getting some defenders back will get the team back on track.

As for Pulju, I find a lot of reasons for optimism. The main thing is he's produced quite nicely in the last games and looked pretty good. The mental struggles after a goal like yesterday can be fixed and I believe Hitch as a coach, Puljujarvi being older and more mature and him having some offensive success lately will create real progress in this aspect, too.

Unless someone replies to my posts and I feel there's a need to write back I'm ready to start getting prepared for Christmas now.

I may be a bit early, but it's already getting late here in Finland so I wish all of you guys (including the few ones I've had some tough conversations with), whether you spend it with your families, friends or alone, a wonderful Christmas!!
:xsign::xtree::cheers:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's a shame the team has lost three in a row, but I believe getting some defenders back will get the team back on track.

As for Pulju, I find a lot of reasons for optimism. The main thing is he's produced quite nicely in the last games and looked pretty good. The mental struggles after a goal like yesterday can be fixed and I believe Hitch as a coach, Puljujarvi being older and more mature and him having some offensive success lately will create real progress in this aspect, too.

Unless someone replies to my posts and I feel there's a need to write back I'm ready to start getting prepared for Christmas now.

I may be a bit early, but it's already getting late here in Finland so I wish all of you guys (including the few ones I've had some tough conversations with), whether you spend it with your families, friends or alone, a wonderful Christmas!!
:xsign::xtree::cheers:
Same to you. Agree with what you say, and hope Hitch can get something out of this guy. Seems to have very fragile confidence. I see a very immature young man that is taking a lot longer to mature and gain confidence than the average top draft pick.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He's looked ok imo, prior to his goal last game, a person on 1260 commented he had 2 whole shots in 5 games..in the top 6 nonetheless. Hopefully 5 full pages praising him for a single forecheck isn't the highlight anymore

Round 4 with McDavid. Hope Hitch is right that his offense is coming around

Round 4? :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good bull work on the first goal. Pulju created that goal. But he also wrapped one for Tampa later in the game fumbling a puck up high (not all his fault). In isolation I felt Pulju played a good game. His linemates didn't have one of their better games.

Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
are you saying JP hasn’t played on Mcdavids line around 4 times ?

He did early last season. Can’t think of any other times he’s gotten more than a shift or two or actually played on his line.

He scored his first goal of the season while McDavid was on the ice but it was after an icing. Before McLellan was fired they had two whole shifts where they started on the ice at the same time. Both were defensive zone draws.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He did early last season. Can’t think of any other times he’s gotten more than a shift or two or actually played on his line.

He scored his first goal of the season while McDavid was on the ice but it was after an icing. Before McLellan was fired they had two whole shifts where they started on the ice at the same time. Both were defensive zone draws.
Interesting. Well If he learns not to get in Mcdavids way I’m sure he’ll get more shifts. He has a fantastic shot but my god he is bad at knowing where to go.

Reactions: frag2 and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Interesting. Well If he learns not to get in Mcdavids way I’m sure he’ll get more shifts. He has a fantastic shot but my god he is bad at knowing where to go.

Yes he has really struggled with that during the early part of his career so far. Looking better though since his AHL stint. His goal the other game was a good example of him learning the spots to be to be able to get his shot off more often.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yes he has really struggled with that during the early part of his career so far. Looking better though since his AHL stint. His goal the other game was a good example of him learning the spots to be to be able to get his shot off more often.
I liked how he ran into his own player right before the goal. Just oops and then rips one.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Pulju's stick is wide open and Nurse shoots a very fast pass straight towards his feet. Pulju actually moves his stick to receive the pass very quickly, but unfortunately that wasn't enough. Him not being able to reach to the puck afterwards made it look worse.
Meh. You asked for opinions, and imo Puljujarvi should be able to take that pass. I agree with you that the bold made his mistake look worse. He looked too casual which seems to be a problem for this player. I'm not saying he is taking the game casually, but it frequently looks like he just isn't bearing down out there. Coaches and team mates hate that.

Ill just mention too that it sure looks like Koskinen overplayed that to his blocker side. I've noticed that it's a tendency for Koskinen. I think he is sometimes overly confident in his glove hand and leaves too much space on that side.
So a player who is completely anchoring the top line should be left on the line?
I don't get it. Puljujarvi hasn't anchored any line in the NHL ever.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Pretty much why I keep saying JP reminds me of a forward version of Nurse. Piss poor spatial awareness but all the physical tools to be a beast on the ice.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i dont care why Columbus didnt puck JP, all i kno is the Oilers did not plan on picking him that day, and if they had stuck to their plan theyd have either Tkachuk or Sergachev.

There's a decent player in JP, but its doubtful he'll have the career of others they passed up on. just another underwelming Oilers top 10 pick. they've really only hit the jackpot on 3 of 10 (McD, Drai, Hall)

Reactions: gordonhught

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Pretty much why I keep saying JP reminds me of a forward version of Nurse. Piss poor spatial awareness but all the physical tools to be a beast on the ice.

Could you imagine if both of them had high hockey IQ. It would be like having Pronger and Barkov on the team.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Could you imagine if both of them had high hockey IQ. It would be like having Pronger and Barkov on the team.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic but yes, they would be very good players.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Not sure which goal you’re referring to?

I don’t think he’s used to an offensive gameplan where everyone just stands around :laugh:

His clapper 2 games ago. He ran into Caggula right before.

Last night he almost bulldozed McDavid also

Clearly he is "understanding" where to go as you say:laugh:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

Was that the one where Puljujarvi was above the red, McDavid got the puck behind the red and started going forward?

If so, he was in a good position...if the guy on the puck wasn't McDavid and would have touched it forward for him to enter the zone with the defence split.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Are Oilers fans too hard on young players?

A strong yes.

What an impatient fan base who runs players out of town who come out to be good players.

I say this as a mostly Oilers fan.

I hope we don’t do it to Jesse

No one's running him out of town, everyone wants him to do well. The problem is there's also a reality here where he's not really progressing in the way modern young players do.

Reactions: Zaddy

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Was that the one where Puljujarvi was above the red, McDavid got the puck behind the red and started going forward?

If so, he was in a good position...if the guy on the puck wasn't McDavid and would have touched it forward for him to enter the zone with the defence split.

No. It was behind the net in the ozone. JP came in hard on a forecheck and collided w/ Connor and the dman. I was a few drinks deep at that point but recall the collision. McD looked rattled. Of course, I could have it wrong.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Are Oilers fans too hard on young players?

A strong yes.

What an impatient fan base who runs players out of town who come out to be good players.

I say this as a mostly Oilers fan.

I hope we don’t do it to Jesse
Lol is Jesse checking the Hf boards? Curious what young player who actually turned out good have we run out of town besides Jultz?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

After this I'll stop reading messages for Christmas time as I don't have the willpower to resist writing otherwise.

Maybe Pulju stopped in a bit surprising way and can work on the positioning sometimes, but it was rather Caggiula who didn't watch and bumped (literally jumped) into Puljujarvi. Imagine all the messages if it'd been Pulju who'd skated straight into another player's back :) Then again I understand the situation suprised Caggiula, but I've seen players stop and change direction quite a few times in games. I don't want to tell anyone what's the right way to see things so here's the video:

Merry Christmas to you too bobbythebrain!

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Meh. You asked for opinions...

As I said before leaving for Christmas I take the freedom to reply to messages directed at me, so this is the last one for now.

I appreciate your opinion and while you probably have a point about Pulju I thought it really came to his skates and if he hadn't moved his stick so fast to try to catch it Nurse would be blamed much more for a bad pass. But yeah, Pulju's a project and as he develops he can do many little things better, which helps in situations like these. I still like how it's been lately and am surprised there are some who don't see the big development. Now I'm gone and won't be replying to messages for some days, Merry Christmas!

Reactions: harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad