Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I just don't see the hockey sense with some of the plays he makes. It's weird. Yamo lacks the size and strength and jp seems to lack decision making. I've been a fan and a supporter for him but he is now in year 3 and has shown next to to no progress. You can only blame the coach and staff so much, some players have it when they step in to NHL , some take a while and some do t have it . I'm not sure where I'm at with Jp but I'm leaning to maybe he just can't think the game quick enough for his draft position. Much like the Lucic contract where he's is getting judged based on his salary, jp is on his draft pedigree. Sucks that he hasn't developed like anyone in top tier of that draft. Oilers really needed him to he had huge impact on hall and Eberle trades I bet.
Thats what Columbus GM Kekäläinen hinted when asked how in earth they passed Pulju.
He said that first priority is ability to process game fast enough.
Seems that Pulju has problems there.

Good kid and as a half finn... makes me sad

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Thats what Columbus GM Kekäläinen hinted when asked how in earth they passed Pulju.
Seems that Pulju has problems there.

Good kid and as a half finn... makes me sad
Interesting and no other teams scouts noticed that?

LJellySlam

Dec 30, 2017
Boggles my mind how many times tonight Mcdavid had the puck and JP basically skates into him.

Skate away from him!! Preferably toward the net!

The Burning GOAT

Nov 26, 2017
In the coldest place
I didn’t see the game. How did he look out there? Judging by the negative comments here: terrible and the world is ending. But statswatching wise it doesn’t seem so bad.

So... how was his game?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
3 points in 5 games though haha that’s like double his production from the rest of his games! So that’s a limited bright spot.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I didn’t see the game. How did he look out there? Judging by the negative comments here: terrible and the world is ending. But statswatching wise it doesn’t seem so bad.

So... how was his game?
Stats wise he looks fine. He bobbled a pass (a bad pass from nurse to be fair) and that sent kucherov on a breakaway and he scored. This caused JP to mentally implode. He was kept on Mcdvids line but gave the puck away like four times in a row. Eventually hitch got sick of it and he got demoted to the 3rd line. Also when I used the word implode I was not exaggerating.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Burning GOAT

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Boggles my mind how many times tonight Mcdavid had the puck and JP basically skates into him.

Skate away from him!! Preferably toward the net!

Said this many times over. He skates into his players w/ the puck as opposed to creating separation, overlapping or crossing over.

Another disturbing tendency is his support on the forecheck. He abandons his position and skates in the opposite direction. He does it all the time. Again tonite he left the corner and b-lined it to the point, where there was already a dman. It was obvious Looch was gonna force it down low

Good board players give their teammates a target, yet he just skates away. He is uber confused on how to support a cycle

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

So... how was his game?
I don't think it was as bad as some are saying, his forechecking was pretty good as is becoming the norm (one goal created because of his forechecking), also did a decent job keeping some pucks alive through pressure and rimming it around the wall to linemates.

The bad was mostly just a costly turnover at the offensive blueline directly to Kucherov for a free breakaway. The other stuff is he didn't generate much independently offensively more just playing the support role on whichever line he was on and he also seemed to get in McDavid's way a few times crowding him in certain spots or occupying skating real estate that I think McDavid would of liked to use if it was available.

IMO the time to trade him has come and gone, it seems like Hitch is doing a good job giving him a foundation for future success, he might disappoint relative to his draft position, but being a good forechecker with some offensive touch can give you a long career in the bottom six. What we really want is top 6 level performance out of him, will we get it, I can't say for sure, but I like his overall game better than Virtanen's at the same age and this season Virtanen's offensive production is just short of 2nd line level production.

The Burning GOAT

Nov 26, 2017
In the coldest place
So JP’s struggles between the ears and in the body (instincts) continue. I saw a video of his secondary assist, and while the forechecking effort was genuinely good, the moment before he forced a silly looking close proximity passing play at full speed with McD and Nuge that looked lucky to end up being a scoring opportunity. Based on that I understand completely the ”creating space issue.” Why didn’t he go wide there?

He still has a way to go... but it seems something that can be worked on.

Lol at the laughing hyena effect in this thread though! I knew he had made a clear mistake as soon as I read the first replies here that were properly feasting on negativity. But I get it, Oilers fans are passionate for team success and that’s great.

Peace to the world. And Jesse. May you find your game after christmas...

Reactions: Tom Brady

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I don't think it was as bad as some are saying, his forechecking was pretty good as is becoming the norm (one goal created because of his forechecking), also did a decent job keeping some pucks alive through pressure and rimming it around the wall to linemates.

The bad was mostly just a costly turnover at the offensive blueline directly to Kucherov for a free breakaway. The other stuff is he didn't generate much independently offensively more just playing the support role on whichever line he was on and he also seemed to get in McDavid's way a few times crowding him in certain spots or occupying skating real estate that I think McDavid would of liked to use if it was available.

IMO the time to trade him has come and gone, it seems like Hitch is doing a good job giving him a foundation for future success, he might disappoint relative to his draft position, but being a good forechecker with some offensive touch can give you a long career in the bottom six. What we really want is top 6 level performance out of him, will we get it, I can't say for sure, but I like his overall game better than Virtanen's at the same age and this season Virtanen's offensive production is just short of 2nd line level production.

I couldn't agree more. He wasn't overly terrible today. It's kind of bothering me he's getting the sole blame for the turnover leading to the tying goal. Darnell Nurse always makes these hard passes that the receiver have trouble handling, leading to turnovers. He literally shot the puck at Jesse, who really tried to settle it down, and skated back as fast as he could on the back-check. McDavid and Nuge were a -3 tonight (but also scored 3), and Nurse/Larsson -4. Jesse was +/-0. Spooner had only 7 minutes of ice time, yet led the game in giveaways (4). So many other players that should share the blame this game, but it seems Jesse has become the whipping boy, whose mistakes are magnified, which is very unfortunate for a very young player that needs confidence to grow.

I really like his game since Hitch stepped in. His speed and hard work battling for the puck along the boards against 2 Tampa players, led to the McDavid/Nuge chance on the 1st goal. He's really starting to use his size and speed more regularly.
He's 20 years old, and he's going to take more time to mature than his peers, but we have to be patient with him. Completely changing your game and learning how to use his tools effectively doesn't happen overnight. He's getting hard lessons from Hitchcock, who has taken him under his wing. Give him the season to manifest himself into what we all know he can be. Trading him now would be such a classic Oilers move, which of course we will deeply regret in the years to come.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I couldn't agree more. He wasn't overly terrible today. It's kind of bothering me he's getting the sole blame for the turnover leading to the tying goal. Darnell Nurse always makes these hard passes that the receiver have trouble handling, leading to turnovers. He literally shot the puck at Jesse, who really tried to settle it down, and skated back as fast as he could on the back-check. McDavid and Nuge were a -3 tonight (but also scored 3), and Nurse/Larsson -4. Jesse was +/-0. Spooner had only 7 minutes of ice time, yet led the game in giveaways (4). So many other players that should share the blame this game, but it seems Jesse has become the whipping boy, whose mistakes are magnified, which is very unfortunate for a very young player that needs confidence to grow.

I really like his game since Hitch stepped in, which is an unpopular opinion. His speed and hard work battling for the puck along the boards against 2 Tampa players, led to the McDavid/Nuge chance on the 1st goal. He's really starting to use his size and speed more regularly.
He's 20 years old, and he's going to take more time to mature than his peers, but we have to be patient with him. Completely changing your game and learning how to use his tools effectively doesn't happen overnight. He's getting hard lessons from Hitchcock, who has taken him under his wing. Give him the season to manifest himself into what we all know he can be. Trading him now would be such a classic Oilers move, which of course we will deeply regret in the years to come.
I acknowledged the pass from nurse was bad. No one is saying that loss is JPs fault. (Atleast I hope not) JP just didnt play well after the costly mistake. It’s fair to point that out. This is just a JP thread of coarse there is no nuge comments. (Nuges effort without the puck was pathetic)

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Just watched the highlights (without watching the score before hand so I can live through the game).

Goddamnit Pizza-boy, you done gone goofed again.

That game was an Oiler win with Koskinen being dialed in before that 2nd Kucherov breakaway (handed to Kuch by our boy Jp98).

Sloppy fingers, sloppy hands,
Jesse Puljujärvi is the Pizzaman

Why is it so hard to be an Oiler fan..?

Oh well, merry xmas everyone!

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's kind of bothering me he's getting the sole blame for the turnover leading to the tying goal. Darnell Nurse always makes these hard passes that the receiver have trouble handling, leading to turnovers. He literally shot the puck at Jesse, who really tried to settle it down, and skated back as fast as he could on the back-check. McDavid and Nuge were a -3 tonight (but also scored 3), and Nurse/Larsson -4. Jesse was +/-0. Spooner had only 7 minutes of ice time, yet led the game in giveaways (4). So many other players that should share the blame this game, but it seems Jesse has become the whipping boy, whose mistakes are magnified, which is very unfortunate for a very young player that needs confidence to grow.

The Edmonton Journal called that pass "a kind of a hand grenade" so for sure Nurse could've done a better job too. Anyway, I wasn't suprised after the goal the offensive production would suffer because of the mental effect ("can't make another mistake now") and the very tough opponent.

The hyena effect as somebody called it is amazingly strong, but that's how it is.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Can you bring the quote? I didn't find that anywhere so I'd like to make sure you're not making up things again. Because of the earlier things there's a good reason for this suspicion and you know that.

Anyway, you sure are excited like heck so enjoy it while it lasts :)

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Can you bring the quote? I didn't find that anywhere so I'd like to make sure you're not making up things again. Because of the earlier things there's a good reason for this suspicion and you know that.

Pretty much the whole hockey world thought JP would and should go 3rd. Hard to believe he knew something pretty much everyone else did not.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Played a good game, created havoc on the forecheck, got stuff done. I thought he was really showing he belonged there.

Then he made that costly mistake and got the McLellan special.

EDIT:

Hitch seems to agree, even if I don't agree with him taking Pulju off the first line in the third. McDavid and Nuge were on ice for another two goals against on even strength (empty net discounted), so it's not like moving Pulju away helped them.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Played a good game, created havoc on the forecheck, got stuff done. I thought he was really showing he belonged there.

Then he made that costly mistake and got the McLellan special.
That mistake didn’t put him on the 3rd line. His constant turn overs after that did.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018

Oh. There is no quote. You dont quote talks face to face unless you are media.

Evidence is at the ice. :)

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Well it seems that he did not use his spot to well.

Hopefully he gets more time with topline. As it might be just nerves that got him. Again?

I actually might see him play live at february if work plans go like I dream and I visit Alberta.
Though Draisaitl is more close to my german side. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad