Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Taking JP off of the 1st line after the Kucherov goal was a mistake but the reason he was taken off was to stack the 1st line to help get the equalizer. I don't think it was a punishment. Next game he'll be in the top 6 still.

Yeah based on the way Hitch was talking about Jesse prior to last game I'd imagine he intends to give him a prolonged push. He knows his job is to get wins and for the long term benefit of the team giving Pulju a chance to grow will help produce more wins in the long run. That said, in-game Hitch is still willing to make adjustments to produce wins and in this case that was moving Jesse off the first line. While it didn't produce the desired result Hitch's adjustments seem a lot more logical than his predecessor's constant line blending.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I couldn't agree more. He wasn't overly terrible today. It's kind of bothering me he's getting the sole blame for the turnover leading to the tying goal. Darnell Nurse always makes these hard passes that the receiver have trouble handling, leading to turnovers. He literally shot the puck at Jesse, who really tried to settle it down, and skated back as fast as he could on the back-check. McDavid and Nuge were a -3 tonight (but also scored 3), and Nurse/Larsson -4. Jesse was +/-0. Spooner had only 7 minutes of ice time, yet led the game in giveaways (4). So many other players that should share the blame this game, but it seems Jesse has become the whipping boy, whose mistakes are magnified, which is very unfortunate for a very young player that needs confidence to grow.

I really like his game since Hitch stepped in. His speed and hard work battling for the puck along the boards against 2 Tampa players, led to the McDavid/Nuge chance on the 1st goal. He's really starting to use his size and speed more regularly.
He's 20 years old, and he's going to take more time to mature than his peers, but we have to be patient with him. Completely changing your game and learning how to use his tools effectively doesn't happen overnight. He's getting hard lessons from Hitchcock, who has taken him under his wing. Give him the season to manifest himself into what we all know he can be. Trading him now would be such a classic Oilers move, which of course we will deeply regret in the years to come.

Yeah, if you watch the replay Nurse not only passes it hard but in towards Pulju's skates too. If you have to bring your stick in like that it's extremely hard to cushion a rocket of a pass like that especially from close range. Aside from that one play Pulju didn't have a bad game. It definitely could have been better and his chemistry with McDavid still needs work clearly but he made good plays including the nice touch back to Nuge on the opening goal.

The hate for this guy by some fans is ridiculous. He's obviously been getting better and yet any slip ups and he gets roasted. News flash, the Oilers lost that game because of an inability to defend against the best team in the league. Spinning it like Jesse was a main culprit is ignorant when the play he's being scapegoated for was the result of Nurse throwing a grenade at him when he had the time to make a better play/pass. The majority of NHL players would have booted that pass from Nurse.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Yeah based on the way Hitch was talking about Jesse prior to last game I'd imagine he intends to give him a prolonged push. He knows his job is to get wins and for the long term benefit of the team giving Pulju a chance to grow will help produce more wins in the long run. That said, in-game Hitch is still willing to make adjustments to produce wins and in this case that was moving Jesse off the first line. While it didn't produce the desired result Hitch's adjustments seem a lot more logical than his predecessor's constant line blending.
I don't think you can take what Hitch says as meaningful of much. He blows smoke up everyone's ass. Thats his M.O. And really always has been. He uses the press as a tool to motivate the players. His hyperbole is often over the top. Its actually quite funny as to how much bs he spews out.

Reactions: fuswald and Lepardi

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The proof is in your posts. You say JP has been training hard to get open, yet he had 2 shots in 5 games lol. Somehow your assessment defies the eye test

But seriously, how do you know he has been training super hard to get open? Do you train w/ him? Are you at Oiler practices? Do you fly to Finland in the summers?

Trust me, the only player who continues to look lost half the time is JP. It's why he skates into his own players, abandons cycles, and makes gawd awful line changes

But don't take my word for it, take Hitch's, who you seem to praise. He's demoted JP 4 times in 15 games

What is this post even? Do you read what you’re replying to? I’ll take the coaches word for it, the words that he has actually spoken about JP which you continue to be ignorant towards. He’s also promoted him from the AHL -> 4th line -> 3rd line -> 2nd line and then to the top line.

It’s almost like we’ve had players get suspended, players come back from injury and the coach has changed up the lines multiple times.

Don’t worry I don’t take your word for anything. It’s mostly useless garbage. Only included the mostly part because it’s Christmas and I’m feeling nice.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, if you watch the replay Nurse not only passes it hard but in towards Pulju's skates too. If you have to bring your stick in like that it's extremely hard to cushion a rocket of a pass like that especially from close range. Aside from that one play Pulju didn't have a bad game. It definitely could have been better and his chemistry with McDavid still needs work clearly but he made good plays including the nice touch back to Nuge on the opening goal.

The hate for this guy by some fans is ridiculous. He's obviously been getting better and yet any slip ups and he gets roasted. News flash, the Oilers lost that game because of an inability to defend against the best team in the league. Spinning it like Jesse was a main culprit is ignorant when the play he's being scapegoated for was the result of Nurse throwing a grenade at him when he had the time to make a better play/pass. The majority of NHL players would have booted that pass from Nurse.

It’s not even worth trying to reason with certain posters who have spent the majority of the season and the majority of their posts hating on one specific 20 year old player.

Last edited:

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
As a blanket response I think you’re all getting stuck on me saying that we ran Taylor Hall out of town when my point was that we don’t give younger players enough rope around here and have run skilled players out in the past and likely future.

As a fan base we are way too hard on our players and don’t give them enough respect. Each player has a role on the team and each player develops differently.

Some might not pan out but some do. Players right now like Nurse and Drai are getting shit on and they are among the best and most important to the team right now.

If you think players and management don’t feel pressure then you’re dead wrong. They are people too and deserve our respect and support playing a high skill and high physicality game.

If our prospect is struggling and gets shit on by our media an fans then of course they will struggle to get on track.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As a blanket response I think you’re all getting stuck on me saying that we ran Taylor Hall out of town when my point was that we don’t give younger players enough rope around here and have run skilled players out in the past and likely future.

As a fan base we are way too hard on our players and don’t give them enough respect. Each player has a role on the team and each player develops differently.

Some might not pan out but some do. Players right now like Nurse and Drai are getting **** on and they are among the best and most important to the team right now.

If you think players and management don’t feel pressure then you’re dead wrong. They are people too and deserve our respect and support playing a high skill and high physicality game.

If our prospect is struggling and gets **** on by our media an fans then of course they will struggle to get on track.
Our media doesn’t shit on JP. Doesn’t get shit on at games. Only gets a little bit of shit on some Internet forums. Calm down.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Interesting, because the last few games, there has been nothing but line blending, both in between games and during.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Interesting, because the last few games, there has been nothing but line blending, both in between games and during.

I'm not saying there has been no changing of lines during the games just that when Hitch does make a change it usually makes sense to me, which in general wasn't the case for me with the changes that McLellan made.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Blues trade some are saying they would be interested in him.

I'm sure lots of teams are interested in paying the price of a "project" for JP.

Unfortunately when you trade 20 year olds as "projects" you're lucky to get a mid round pick. The potential of JP turning into a top 6 winger is greater than a second rounder or later becoming an NHLer at all.

The only way you trade JP now is to someone who overvalues him, or for another top prospect for a change of scenery. Otherwise it's a sure loss.

Reactions: TB12

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
What would JP cost from your guy's perspective? Not that I think the Oilers would ever trade him to the flames, just curious. In a nutshell, why has he struggled to gain traction in the NHL? Management, coaching, or is it just him?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What would JP cost from your guy's perspective? Not that I think the Oilers would ever trade him to the flames, just curious. In a nutshell, why has he struggled to gain traction in the NHL? Management, coaching, or is it just him?

Tkachuck please

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Just add a McDavid and you have a deal :thumbu:

I was more just wondering of the cost in general...Not what it would cost the flames specifically.

yeah Im just playing. Honestly he's not worth anything more than a pick or a project like he is

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

Havent seen these good games I have heard he has had, but if I think his career and those problems in positionin, understanding the game.... well I would think its a third round pick and another project. Defence?

But as I said. He might started to progress (That said, I am sceptic about it). If so Oilers must look it til the end.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Havent seen these good games I have heard he has had, but if I think his career and those problems in positionin, understanding the game.... well I would think its a third round pick and another project. Defence?

But as I said. He might started to progress (That said, I am sceptic about it). If so Oilers must look it til the end.

I thought you said you haven't seen any games Pulju has played under Hitch. Hasn't stopped the negative comments coming in, though :)

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He’s not far off JPs current trade value though haha

He said already after the preseason games that a 3rd would be a generous offer for Pulju. It's not that he's watching the games, he's just throwing in whatever he can against Pulju. Even totally imaginary things as we've seen.

Whatever people think about Puljujarvi his value is definitely higher than a 3rd round pick. When you trade a player you have to get just the highest value anyone offers. And there are things and stats to show that the potential is still there.

After all the time with McLellan was what it was and there's been plenty of positives with Hitch lately. We'll see what happens when he starts to finally get proper PP usage, I hope that and the better production recently helps him take new steps. I'm also looking forward to seeing him and Khaira together again.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad