Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Puljujarvi is currently in a 3rd/4th line role on the Oilers. Definitely not getting top-6 minutes.

Currie has earned his call-up. Vet player who worked his way up, and is scoring at a good clip in the AHL. He could slide into a depth role on the Oilers, what JP is currently occupying.

Calling up Currie leaves a hole at 1RW for the Condors. Fill that by sending JP down to Bakersfield playing 1RW.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I haven't watched the last 3 games but from what I've seen, Chiasson is really good on the PP. He's a big reason why it's taken a jump to top 10 in the league IMO, because he gives them a much needed net presence and good hands in tight.
I'd bump Nuge for Puljujarvi and let Nuge run the 2nd unit, put Pulju in the one time spot.

Chiasson is a pylon on the PP and has scored 1 goal in 2019. I can't remember the last time he even made a play on the PP resulting in a goal.

Draisaitl and Nurse are all the reasons why the PP has been humming.

I've watched all the games and that's what I'm seeing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Chiasson is a pylon on the PP and has scored 1 goal in 2019. I can't remember the last time he even made a play on the PP resulting in a goal.

It's not about the goals (that's not his job), it's about having somebody to screen the goalie and create some chaos around the net. The Oilers don't have that without Chiasson (Lucic sucks at it) so they have to make a perfect play to score without the net presence. He's not perfect but he's the best they got at that job.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nurse + JP for Gardiner + Nylander.

Toronto gets out of cap hell, gets a defenseman with more years of control for UFA Gardiner.

Oilers get to test drive Gardiner and gets a scoring winger.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Toronto gets out of cap hell, gets a defenseman with more years of control for UFA Gardiner.

Am I missing something? How would we afford that.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I like JP but what has he really done that stands out? I get he’s only 20 but there are concerns in his game. I never see him battle hard and when the puck is on his stick he gets rid of it right away almost like he’s nervous to get hit.

Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Done deal though that pretty much assures that you're buying out/dumping Sekera elsewhere. Oh you mean doing this trade now ... no I don't think Toronto says yes. They're going all in this season so losing both Gardiner and Nylander doesn't make sense.

In the summer I would consider Nurse for Nylander if that's still there though.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I like JP but what has he really done that stands out? I get he’s only 20 but there are concerns in his game. I never see him battle hard and when the puck is on his stick he gets rid of it right away almost like he’s nervous to get hit.

I think he gets rid of it quick because he's nervous to make a mistake with it and get benched or demoted because of it. Kid has negative confidence at this point.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Did he not have a nice primary assist on the PP not to long ago?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
nobody would trust this player at this point. anytime he's on the topsix its considered a short straw assignment. He's the worse than Yakupov player in the lineup.
Yeah, I agree. He has a very low hockey IQ. Hardly ever in the right place at the right time. It'll take a long time, if ever, to develop this player into anything close to an offensive weapon.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think he gets rid of it quick because he's nervous to make a mistake with it and get benched or demoted because of it. Kid has negative confidence at this point.
All his failures are always attributed to his “confidence”. Maybe just maybe it’s because he’s just not very good in the NHL.

Reactions: frag2

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Its not like Pulju would be the first prospect the oilers screwed by rushing directly to the nhl
Also kind of makes me wonder how they managed to develop Drai so perfectly and then completely abandon that formula after seeing how well it worked.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Also kind of makes me wonder how they managed to develop Drai so perfectly and then completely abandon that formula after seeing how well it worked.
You mean sticking him as the center for Hall? People say this and than completely fabricate JPs experiences in the NHL up to this point. Can you imagine where Drai would be right now if the team forced him into a 3rd/4th line role oh I think I remember that being his first year here he failed pretty miserably and got sent down. I'm not saying its anything close to an automatic that JP would flourish if he got an actual extended look in the top 6 (meaning at the very least a 10 game sample where he isn't demoted immediately after his first couple of shifts like Mclellan and Hitchcock both like to do) but continuing to judge him on not being able to produce with guys like Cave/Brodziak as his centermen while playing 8 minutes or under is just dumb.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You mean sticking him as the center for Hall? People say this and than completely fabricate JPs experiences in the NHL up to this point. Can you imagine where Drai would be right now if the team forced him into a 3rd/4th line role oh I think I remember that being his first year here he failed pretty miserably and got sent down. I'm not saying its anything close to an automatic that JP would flourish if he got an actual extended look in the top 6 (meaning at the very least a 10 game sample where he isn't demoted immediately after his first couple of shifts like Mclellan and Hitchcock both like to do) but continuing to judge him on not being able to produce with guys like Cave/Brodziak as his centermen while playing 8 minutes or under is just dumb.
What the hell are you talking about. I’m talking about how Drai was sent down to develop and it really worked.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

What are you talking about? Do you watch games? Drai sucked his first year cuz he could only skate 15 feet without being gassed, and was 100ft behind every play on the backcheck. He also folded like rice paper on the boards. He improved his skating 10 fold and developed a strength to protect the puck that looks Kopitar-esque. Drai also creates space and plays, which gave him success w/ Hall

Infact, I believe it was Oates who commented just how amazing Drai's improvement in skating that summer was. He mentioned how extremely rare that drastic of improvement/change happens, and credited that with his current success to do be able to do other things

Jesse has no problem skating around the ice physically, but has not improved 1 iota on the boards or in strength, continually falling and dropping his stick. he also gets rid of the puck as if it's kryptonite

Your assessment is completely off base, but go ahead, keep piling up coaches to blame, as Hitch is yet another who is moving on from his incompetence.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad