Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well we will disagree on this, but if he's suppose to make him a top 6 player the he needs a chance on the PP.

His one timer is big, but he is not used.

Iiro Pakarinen had one of the hardest shots you'd see in practice, skill comps etc. It doesn't matter. if the person doesn't have the confidence in games here, doesn't get into spaces, and doesn't bury the puck it means nothing. Not sure if you're watching all the games but Pulju heels almost every 2nd shot. He's getting nothing on it. He's like an idiot using the wrong stick and he hits ice before puck nearly every time and nobody is even having the mercy to tell him. When he does get it away its logo kisses. If he ever made a goalie wince with a shot or even challenge one I'd be amazed.

I seriously can't remember his last goal. Which is a common enough thing to state here.

He's an absolute bust, its over, and his agent is pretty much saying so.

Reactions: tellermine

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Who cares. Jesse hasn’t shown anything at any point this year that suggests he deserves any PP time.

Guy has himself to blame for another piss poor performance this year. Zero progress since entering this league.

he's actually severely regressed this season. Has only 4 goals, 9pts and is -14. The worst stats of his career.

Until this year he was at least a player that didn't get scored on a lot. Now that's gone too.

If this guy was anything but a high first round pick he'd never see another NHL game. Complete dud.

The guy gets only 10mins a night, against the weakest opposition the team can get him, as much offensive zone starts as possible and he's -14. His GA/60mins is terrible and playing mostly against bottomsix NHL. That's bad, real bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: dss97

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Well we will disagree on this, but if he's suppose to make him a top 6 player the he needs a chance on the PP.

His one timer is big, but he is not used.

Can't one time when you can't handle a pass

Guy is fundamentally flawed and 2 coaches now have no clue what the heck he brings.

JP needs to man up and prove his naysayers wrong but he doesn't really do anything about it. The fact he is allegedly going to his agent ala Yakupov paints him extremely poorly and weak .

Reactions: tellermine

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
lol. I seem to be wrong. Oh well another lost season. Let's hope we can salvage next year.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Honestly not upset his agent spoke up, if I were in his position I would have as well.
We did a lot more mishandling with Puljj than we did with Yak. Not sure why we have the need for these young euros to "earn it" by playing them in bottom 6 roles and destroying any semblance of confidence they once had.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
FWIW

Does his agent not realize...to get more minutes, play better!

The fact his Agent is pulling a Larionov...puke

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
FWIW

So his logic is that he wants Jesse to play 2nd line minutes on the Oilers and if he gets sent down he expects Jesse to get 4th line minutes on the Condors.

I dont think he thought this through.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Why do the Oilers bring a raw 18-year-old over if they're expecting performance instead of development? If that's the attitude they should have left him in Finland until he's good enough to earn big minutes.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Condors don't deserve that. Give him his qualifying offer and let him run away to Finland. The Oilers can hold his rights for the next 6 seasons. If he figures out how to hockey over there then they can bring him back.
This would be the perfect situation.

Let him play in Jokerit in the KHL. He can develop there and come back whenever and hopefully be a contributor when he comes back.

Or if a GM is dumb enough to offer a 1st, take it and run

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So his logic is that he wants Jesse to play 2nd line minutes on the Oilers and if he gets sent down he expects Jesse to get 4th line minutes on the Condors.

I dont think he thought this through.

Sounds like 2nd line and PP in the NHL or bust.

No NHL 4th line, no AHL

Maybe that's why Hitch put him on the 3rd line. It's not AHL and it's also not 4th line lol

Reactions: guymez

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Why do the Oilers bring a raw 18-year-old over if they're expecting performance instead of development? If that's the attitude they should have left him in Finland until he's good enough to earn big minutes.

Cuz Chia. That's why.

There was enormous pressure on him to replace Hall's offence. Unfortunately for the Oilers, JP has none unless it's preseason it seemed

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The agent should shut his trap but he's not wrong outside of the Bakersfield part. Jesse has never gotten consistent linemates here and it's absurd that he's never given any significant PP time in 3 years now, just pointless.
It's not like he's earned more minutes but man, the coaches have done absolutely nothing to help him along. They've had no interest in developing this player, it sucks.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The agent should shut his trap but he's not wrong outside of the Bakersfield part. Jesse has never gotten consistent linemates here and it's absurd that he's never given any significant PP time in 3 years now, just pointless.
It's not like he's earned more minutes but man, the coaches have done absolutely nothing to help him along. They've had no interest in developing this player.

I think part of it could be the coaches frustrated that he wasn't NHL ready despite, by all accounts, he was during the draft .

And then the Chia factor

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's big, inaccurate and he simply never puts himself in scoring positions.

Yep. When it comes to offense, he’s basically a worse version of Yakupov right now.

Good riddance if he requests a trade.. Garbage player.

Tkachuk or Sergachev would be great right about now.

It’s painful to think that we’d have Sergachev instead if it wasn’t for Columbus passing on Pulju.

The Condors don't deserve that. Give him his qualifying offer and let him run away to Finland. The Oilers can hold his rights for the next 6 seasons. If he figures out how to hockey over there then they can bring him back.

I mean, it didn’t work with Nuke. But at least if he goes and lights up a weaker league we might get a better return.

FWIW

No kidding. He’s pointless in what 12 of the last 13 games now? How can you expect top 6 minutes, with PP time, when you’re not generating anything?

Reactions: MikeYEG and frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You know what ... unless someone comes to me with a great deal, I say f*** it. You're not going anywhere Jesse. You can either go cry in a corner about that, or improve yourself as a player, improve your English, but you are property of the Edmonton Oilers and we're not just flipping you because you asked.

We never should have capitulated to Pronger the way we did and we've been doing it ever since.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think part of it could be the coaches frustrated that he wasn't NHL ready despite, by all accounts, he was during the draft .

And then the Chia factor

The coaches don't trust him, he doesn't trust the coaches. It's a giant clusterf***.

Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Put him on PP Unit 1 for the rest of the year. I don't care if Hitch doesn't "trust" him, you're a coach so teach him what he needs to be on that unit and then get out of the way. Alex Chiasson doesn't need to be on PP Unit 1.

Reactions: Studz

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You know what ... unless someone comes to me with a great deal, I say **** it. You're not going anywhere Jesse. You can either go cry in a corner about that, or improve yourself as a player, improve your English, but you are property of the Edmonton Oilers and we're not just flipping you because you asked.

Gregor posted a tweet and I agree with his point .

Next GM should pull an Yzerman-Drouin with JP. Until something benefits the team, you ain't going anywhere

Reactions: North

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Put him on PP Unit 1 for the rest of the year. I don't care if Hitch doesn't "trust" him, you're a coach so teach him what he needs to be on that unit and then get out of the way. Alex Chiasson doesn't need to be on PP Unit 1.

I haven't watched the last 3 games but from what I've seen, Chiasson is really good on the PP. He's a big reason why it's taken a jump to top 10 in the league IMO, because he gives them a much needed net presence and good hands in tight.
I'd bump Nuge for Puljujarvi and let Nuge run the 2nd unit, put Pulju in the one time spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad