Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Poor kid man. Team ruined him.

Yak was much much better. He could actually skate with the black disc we call a puck and buzz around.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
First period.

Rieder makes a nice pass to Jesse standing at edge of slot and Pulju whiffs it. His stick looks really too long. he heeled it again. He's done that something like 25 times this season. Its just hilarious. Its like a field hockey player trying to get used to a much longer hockey stick. His blade is slamming into the ice before it even reaches the puck. Does anybody on the bench spot this?

****! Just saw off his sticks when the idiot isn't looking. Take 6inches off at least.

if somebody told you this was an expected 3rd pick a few years ago you would laugh. If it was a Calgary draft pick...

Yet he does not listen to pros who said try to shorten it lol

Why would he change it right. Hes doing so well with long stick...

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Serious question...what exactly is Jesse good at? If you were the coach and looking at the lineup and deciding what the lines will be...when you get to Jesse's name what conclusion would you come to?

I honesltly dont have a clue what Jesse brings to help a coach decide where he should play him.

Stick work. I put him in the AHL ideally, and hope he can develop offensively. If he’s gotta be in the NHL, bottom 6 all day until he starts producing

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Stick work. I put him in the AHL ideally, and hope he can develop offensively. If he’s gotta be in the NHL, bottom 6 all day until he starts producing

Oh I agree. I am just at a loss about what he brings to a line.

As you mentioned he really should be in the AHL at this point. If this team wasn't so thin up front he would be.

Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oh I agree. I am just at a loss about what he brings to a line.

As you mentioned he really should be in the AHL at this point. If this team wasn't so thin up front he would be.

I think they're trying to see what they actually have in him too since it's NHL or waivers next season.

If he doesn't show some signs of life soon, you almost have to consider something drastic like sending him back to Finland for a year or two to avoid losing him on waivers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think they're trying to see what they actually have in him too since it's NHL or waivers next season.

If he doesn't show some signs of life soon, you almost have to consider something drastic like sending him back to Finland for a year or two to avoid losing him on waivers.

I think a trade is more likely than sending him back to Finland.

Reactions: thadd

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think a trade is more likely than sending him back to Finland.

I think that would be a bad idea.

I doubt he has much of any value around the league, so might as well roll the dice, send him home, hope he learns how to play hockey again and then bring him back.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think that would be a bad idea.

I doubt he has much of any value around the league, so might as well roll the dice, send him home, hope he learns how to play hockey again and then bring him back.

I just dont see the team sending him somewhere that doesnt allow them control of the player. If they are going to send him away then I think its in a trade.
Not that I think trading him is a good idea but thats what I see the team doing.

My preference would be to have him in the AHL.

space321

May 11, 2011
I don't know why they don't send him down and at the same time refuse to give him any more than 10 mintues per game.

Are he and his agent unhappy about being sent down or are Hitchcock & co. Pejorative Slured?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Poor kid man. Team ruined him.

Yak was much much better. He could actually skate with the black disc we call a puck and buzz around.

Did we really ruin him? There's a chance that we did, but it isn't certain.
We didn't ruin Yakupov, either. Yakupov was just a bust.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just dont see the team sending him somewhere that doesnt allow them control of the player. If they are going to send him away then I think its in a trade.
Not that I think trading him is a good idea but thats what I see the team doing.

My preference would be to have him in the AHL.
He would probably be on the 3rd or 4th line in Bakersfield. Currie is too good, Russell has been great, Yamamoto is on the third line. Guess they can maybe put Pulju in Russell's spot but him and Gambardella have great chemistry.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He wont learn to be an NHL player in 30 games in Bako. So the only option is to trade him as he is waiver eligible next year. TIme to cut bait with this guy.

Reactions: fuswald

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Low hockey IQ. His board play is atrocious

-Allows himself to get tied way too easy
-Takes the body on forcheck without looking for the puck, stick usually way off the ice. Thinks his job is done when he ties up a man and allows the player to still make a play with lackadaisical effort. . Watch how often he ties up a player marginally and is caught staring as the puck is long gone while he is stuck on said player, holding on to nothing.
-Abandons the cycle
-Makes a play on the forcheck way too fast without acknowledging if a player is there. Far too often pushes into a spot nobody is around, thinking he made a good play forcing it out. Lots of dead plays come off his forchecks
-hot potato w/ the puck, passes into covered players, takes super long range shots

Waste of a 6'4 frame. All the tools, little brain, even smaller effort

Watch any good forchecker. They suck/pull the puck into their feet, working the puck till they think an open play is available. JP just forces outta his bubble as fast as possible. He puts very little effort into keeping a play alive, or on his stick

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
He wont learn to be an NHL player in 30 games in Bako. So the only option is to trade him as he is waiver eligible next year. TIme to cut bait with this guy.
There is the alternative option of giving him is qualifying offer and telling him to go sign a contract in Europe we can retain his rights and not expose him to waivers, trading him might be the best option, but it isn't our only option. I'm trying to think of players who fled to Europe and came back much improved players, not many come to mind, Radulov did improve a lot playing in the KHL and Horcoff improved a lot in the SHL in the lockout year, but most cases I can think of don't result in a much better player and in that same vein a much better asset trade value wise.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He would probably be on the 3rd or 4th line in Bakersfield. Currie is too good, Russell has been great, Yamamoto is on the third line. Guess they can maybe put Pulju in Russell's spot but him and Gambardella have great chemistry.
If he was sent down and Spooner called up he could go on the 3rd line with Yamamoto and Polei, which would be a 1st line on most teams. They could have 3 dominant lines then.

Reactions: Llamamoto

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Do we? His production when played in the top six has been pretty good compared to our other wingers. Out of the players that “we need to dump” I wouldn’t have him very high on the list.

He’s a passenger, that doesn’t do anything particularly well. The Oilers would be better off trying to pawn him off for a pick at the draft then watch his value continue to plummet. He’s a Pajaarvi clone - not good enough for a top 6 role and not tenacious, physical enough for a bottom 6 role.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Serious question...what exactly is Jesse good at? If you were the coach and looking at the lineup and deciding what the lines will be...when you get to Jesse's name what conclusion would you come to?

I honesltly dont have a clue what Jesse brings to help a coach decide where he should play him.

Exactly. He bring no value.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I keep an eye on the Oil from time to time but don't know the full ins and outs, so serious question. If JP goes back to Finland for a few years do the Oil keep his rights? I can't remember if not giving him an offer makes him a UFA. Truth be told I'd send him there so there isn't any waiver shenanigans.

The struggle is right now with this kid.

Yak had 10,000 faults but the guy could shoot a puck through a carwash and not get it wet. His problem was he wanted to imitate Bure with 1/64 of the skill and puck sense. He got the hang of finding his way in front of the net and scoring there and PP one timers and poor Jesse doesn't even have that

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Once the playoffs get to far out of reach they need to glue JP to Mcdavid's hip to see what we got for next season. Even if he does well we can't hold a top 6 spot for him until he proves he can stay there long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad