Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He’s a passenger, that doesn’t do anything particularly well. The Oilers would be better off trying to pawn him off for a pick at the draft then watch his value continue to plummet. He’s a Pajaarvi clone - not good enough for a top 6 role and not tenacious, physical enough for a bottom 6 role.

Very similar players I would agree, although Puljujarvi doesn’t have the scared beaten dog reaction when it comes to physical contact.

How does a pick help the team in the near future? Should we deal him for. 2nd round pick that has a 20/30% chance of becoming as good as 20 year old Puljujarvi currently is?

Reactions: Luckylarry

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah sure we didn’t. It’s always the players... it’s early but Yamamoto has yet to look effective at the NHL level even once.

If you’re writing off Yamamoto as a bust at the NHL level already then this discussion really isn’t worth carrying forward.

Gagner failing to improving himself as a player after a decade in the league rests on him. He refused to learn to play in his own end of the ice and isn’t a gifted enough athlete to be anything more than he is. Great hands, great offensive IQ, but he like an Olympic swimmer that’s 5 feet tall. As Dave Gagner even said when Sam was drafted “he’ll never be a rabbit, but he could be a fast turtle”.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
He's been surpassed by multiple defencemen goals and points wise in his draft class at this point. He's just not that good.

I'd move on from the player, send him to someone who still thinks he has value and try to get something decent for him

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you’re writing off Yamamoto as a bust at the NHL level already then this discussion really isn’t worth carrying forward.

Gagner failing to improving himself as a player after a decade in the league rests on him. He refused to learn to play in his own end of the ice and isn’t a gifted enough athlete to be anything more than he is. Great hands, great offensive IQ, but he like an Olympic swimmer that’s 5 feet tall. As Dave Gagner even said when Sam was drafted “he’ll never be a rabbit, but he could be a fast turtle”.
Ever notice that every player the Oilers draft has defensive issues and they never correct them? Wonder why that is...

And yes I am going to write off Yamamoto because this organization is the worst at development. Absolutely horrendous.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ever notice that every player the Oilers draft has defensive issues and they never correct them? Wonder why that is...

And yes I am going to write off Yamamoto because this organization is the worst at development. Absolutely horrendous.

Puljujarvi doesn’t have defensive issues. Either did Paajarvi.

Players like Gagner and Eberle really just didn’t care enough to be passable defensive players. Offense is about skill, defense is about effort.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Puljujarvi doesn’t have defensive issues. Either did Paajarvi.

Players like Gagner and Eberle really just didn’t care enough to be passable defensive players. Offense is about skill, defense is about effort.
And yet throughout all those years the Oilers are still amongst the worst teams defensively and this year is no exception. What is it this time?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There is the alternative option of giving him is qualifying offer and telling him to go sign a contract in Europe we can retain his rights and not expose him to waivers, trading him might be the best option, but it isn't our only option. I'm trying to think of players who fled to Europe and came back much improved players, not many come to mind, Radulov did improve a lot playing in the KHL and Horcoff improved a lot in the SHL in the lockout year, but most cases I can think of don't result in a much better player and in that same vein a much better asset trade value wise.

That is an option I hadn’t considered, and your right quite possibly a good option.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No argument there but the lack of proper development in this org is stunning. I think Nurse was the last first rounder we drafted that didn’t play immediately. That was... what, 2013?

Thank Jebus they sent Bouchard back this year. Puljujarvi should not have played a game for the Oilers in his rookie season especially considering how he was still recovering from a knee injury during camp.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thank Jebus they sent Bouchard back this year. Puljujarvi should not have played a game for the Oilers in his rookie season especially considering how he was still recovering from a knee injury during camp.
I don’t have the exact quotes in front of me but I think McLellan basically forced Chiarelli to send him back. Year after year we keep putting rookies into the lineup and it never ever works.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
No argument there but the lack of proper development in this org is stunning. I think Nurse was the last first rounder we drafted that didn’t play immediately. That was... what, 2013?

Bouchard and Yamamoto, literally our last 2 first rounders.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
rishaug just speculated this morning that the situation with jesse may have underlying reasons as to why the org is handling him the way they are. he speculates maybe, for example, they are forced to keep him up because the org might have some sort of deal with him and his agent that jesse would only come over from europe only if he's up playing in the NHL, not AHL. he thinks it just doesn't make any sense why the oil are handling him the way they are especially after bobby nicks says they'll be patient with their prospects and over-ripen them in the ahl. jesse clearly looks lost here and definitely belongs in the AHL.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
rishaug just speculated this morning that the situation with jesse may have underlying reasons as to why the org is handling him the way they are. he speculates maybe, for example, they are forced to keep him up because the org might have some sort of deal with him and his agent that jesse would only come over from europe only if he's up playing in the NHL, not AHL. he thinks it just doesn't make any sense why the oil are handling him the way they are especially after bobby nicks says they'll be patient with their prospects and over-ripen them in the ahl. jesse clearly looks lost here and definitely belongs in the AHL.

Because Oilers. That’s why. We don’t need another bogus Rishaug narrative to explain it. It’s history repeating itself with the same people calling the shots.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was rumblings last year about this as well.

At this point though both sides need to scrap this idea and do what's best for his career

Reactions: HK97

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don’t have the exact quotes in front of me but I think McLellan basically forced Chiarelli to send him back. Year after year we keep putting rookies into the lineup and it never ever works.

A coach doesn’t force a GM to do anything. A coach makes his recommendations and a GM considers it. Giving top junior aged rookies a trial is common practice.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
At this point, Puljujarvi cant even stickhandle and pass the puck at pewee level. That's on him. Not coaching. its pretty bad. Just send him down. Its a waste of roster spot.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A coach doesn’t force a GM to do anything. A coach makes his recommendations and a GM considers it. Giving top junior aged rookies a trial is common practice.
Yes they gave him a trial but Chiarelli wanted him to stay longer than that. McLellan repeatedly PB'ed him so they wouldn't harm his contract.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In this case, TM refused to play Bouchard. PC wanted to see him play all the games he could

Then again there were lots of fans that thought he was doing great and was ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->