Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Puljujarvi isn't a committed hockey player. He came over thinking the game was going to come easy for him. Just go out and play. Over the course of 3 years all I have seen is regression at every part of his game. Coaching or not. Unless he is traded, this summer is make it or break it for him. If he doesn't improve drastically within a month by next season, just save the effort and get rid of him. Another wasted pick if his goes into next season the same way.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Puljujarvi isn't a committed hockey player. He came over thinking the game was going to come easy for him. Just go out and play. Over the course of 3 years all I have seen is regression at every part of his game. Coaching or not. Unless he is traded, this summer is make it or break it for him. If he doesn't improve drastically within a month by next season, just save the effort and get rid of him. Another wasted pick if his goes into next season the same way.
He needs to hire himself an Adam Oates.

There are a lot of players that played their whole lives in North America that have problems seeing what adjustments need to be made. Heck Vets go see Oates. Oates trains guys to be quicker and smarter with little adjustments. Seems exactly something JP needs. Going back to Europe for the off-season isn't going to do him any good.

Reactions: Aerrol and nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He needs to hire himself an Adam Oates.

There are a lot of players that played their whole lives in North America that have problems seeing what adjustments need to be made. Heck Vets go see Oates. Oates trains guys to be quicker and smarter with little adjustments. Seems exactly something JP needs. Going back to Europe for the off-season isn't going to do him any good.

He won't. How much you want to bet he bolts back to Finland in the summer and thinks training is all about skating w/ his former team...who don't play a NA style

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
rishaug just speculated this morning that the situation with jesse may have underlying reasons as to why the org is handling him the way they are. he speculates maybe, for example, they are forced to keep him up because the org might have some sort of deal with him and his agent that jesse would only come over from europe only if he's up playing in the NHL, not AHL. he thinks it just doesn't make any sense why the oil are handling him the way they are especially after bobby nicks says they'll be patient with their prospects and over-ripen them in the ahl. jesse clearly looks lost here and definitely belongs in the AHL.
The Oilers also have the same clause with over playing crappy players

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
rishaug just speculated this morning that the situation with jesse may have underlying reasons as to why the org is handling him the way they are. he speculates maybe, for example, they are forced to keep him up because the org might have some sort of deal with him and his agent that jesse would only come over from europe only if he's up playing in the NHL, not AHL. he thinks it just doesn't make any sense why the oil are handling him the way they are especially after bobby nicks says they'll be patient with their prospects and over-ripen them in the ahl. jesse clearly looks lost here and definitely belongs in the AHL.

I think this has been speculated before. I think theres probably some truth to it. His first year in the NHL made no sense ... the Oilers sent him down after he had played 40 games, when it was obvious that he shouldnt be in the NHL. I think Bob McKenzie even speculated that it had something to do with Euro league contract stuff. If it is true, it is bad on JP and his agent too, they are partially to blame for ruining his development to make some extra money at the start.

Next year he will have no waivers. He will go down the Lazar route, where the team wont want him to lose him to waivers so they just keep him up when hes drowning. Pretty soon the career is over. Hopefully JP has a good offseason and is ready for the NHL next year. But we been saying this year after year and at some point, its looking like its not going to work out for him (or the Oilers).

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think this has been speculated before. I think theres probably some truth to it. His first year in the NHL made no sense ... the Oilers sent him down after he had played 40 games, when it was obvious that he shouldnt be in the NHL. I think Bob McKenzie even speculated that it had something to do with Euro league contract stuff. If it is true, it is bad on JP and his agent too, they are partially to blame for ruining his development to make some extra money at the start.

Next year he will have no waivers. He will go down the Lazar route, where the team wont want him to lose him to waivers so they just keep him up when hes drowning. Pretty soon the career is over. Hopefully JP has a good offseason and is ready for the NHL next year. But we been saying this year after year and at some point, its looking like its not going to work out for him (or the Oilers).

absolutely makes some sense. i had heard something about (not sure how reliable the source is) jesse being really pissed about getting sent down earlier this season and maybe considering not even reporting to bakersfield?.... i have no source on this alleged "deal" the oil may or may not have with jesse and his agent and playing only in the NHL but it sure as heck makes complete sense. it's mindboggling that he's still here toiling. completely mind boggling.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
the more i think about it the more i think the oilers may try to trade pooly before the deadline. i'm not sure he's fitting and i'm not sure he's one of those young prospects bobby nicks was talking about developing properly and overripening in the AHL. i think they might have already given up on him and are trying to get something for him in a trade.

if these stories about jess/his agent having some deal with the oil not playing in the AHL are true, then it really might be rubbing the org and his teammates the wrong way and viewed as selfish. throughout this year i've noticed quite often that players (especially darnell nurse) would completely look jesse off as he's wheeling around with speed coming up the wing and being the most open man and most obvious to pass to. nurse would look him off and make a pass to a much worse option (partly covered man etc). i wonder if jesse's not the most popular guy in the room now....

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
the more i think about it the more i think the oilers may try to trade pooly before the deadline. i'm not sure he's fitting and i'm not sure he's one of those young prospects bobby nicks was talking about developing properly and overripening in the AHL. i think they might have already given up on him and are trying to get something for him in a trade.

if these stories about jess/his agent having some deal with the oil not playing in the AHL are true, then it really might be rubbing the org and his teammates the wrong way and viewed as selfish. throughout this year i've noticed quite often that players (especially darnell nurse) would completely look jesse off as he's wheeling around with speed coming up the wing and being the most open man and most obvious to pass to. nurse would look him off and make a pass to a much worse option (partly covered man etc). i wonder if jesse's not the most popular guy in the room now....

To be honest I dont think he has fit with the room. There had also been discussions, I believe it was Strudwick (on Gregor's show) that said that McDavid/Draisaitl didnt like playing JP because they didnt like the lanes he took or something. Basically they dont where hes going or what route he will take to get there. I think this is why McLellan rarely played him with McDavid or Draisaitl. Hitchcock has more or less did the same thing. I think this is also partially why hes never been given a shot on the first pp unit. I dont want to turn this into a McDavid/Draisaitl thing because I dont think it is. I am sure if JP had shown more than other players would want to play with him. Skilled players want to play with other skilled players. JP just wasnt/isnt ready for the NHL. I think theres a lot of ppl on this board who want to see him succeed, I know I do but if we are being honest, he hasnt shown much at all (I am not saying that he wont in future). He should be in the AHL or quite honestly maybe they should of left him in Finland for a year or two. Its easy to say that in hindsight, but it was pretty obvious that he should of been in the AHL at the very least. But if JP and his agent did have some say about going down to the AHL, its hard to fault the team too much. While I disagree with some of the people above, I do believe that JP is committed to being a hockey player, but I think there have probably been some poor decisions that were made in handling him by both JP (and his agent/family/whatever) and the club. The main ones being his AHL status, off-ice language and quite possibly his off-ice training (he has some real issues with strength/balance and his puck skills).

Reactions: frag2 and HK97

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Based on the amount of playing time he got in his first year, I'd say Todd McLellan wished he was down on the farm rather than being up here and over his head. But I'm sure the higher ups forced his hand and kept JP up here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If the speculation that the Oilers/JP / agent had some sort of agreement regarding the AHL it would explain ALOT. It would also mean that how JP was handled was the not only the Oilers fault but also his agent (and to some extent himself)

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
If he has some deal that keeps him out of the A then that’s BS. What makes him so special that he can’t/won’t play in the A? I say trade his spoiled *** out of here and fast. He’s a bust imo anyway

alesis

Dec 1, 2008
Now it is a fact that he has that kind of deal? That was first speculated in a finnish hockey forum, now someone who read that same speculation here remembers hearing it somewhere... C'mon..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A few folks have speculated that maybe Jesse and his agent have told the Oilers he doesn’t want to go back to the AHL. I’ve reached out to a few sources on this suggestion and have yet to hear back.

The end is near

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If he has some deal that keeps him out of the A then that’s BS. What makes him so special that he can’t/won’t play in the A? I say trade his spoiled *** out of here and fast. He’s a bust imo anyway

This rumor sounds manufactured possibly initiated by the oilers so they won't look as bad when they trade him for an underwhelming return.
Everything I have seen of him he sure doesn't seem like a spoiled or entitled person.

Probably he and his agent are confused with what would be good for him. So much is said about how he is handled and the Oiler's are somehow ruining him. I would guarantee his agent wants him to excel for the next big payday.
Nobody wants to be sent down.

Reactions: GameChanger

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This rumor sounds manufactured possibly initiated by the oilers so they won't look as bad when they trade him for an underwhelming return.
Everything I have seen of him he sure doesn't seem like a spoiled or entitled person.

Probably he and his agent are confused with what would be good for him. So much is said about how he is handled and the Oiler's are somehow ruining him. I would guarantee his agent wants him to excel for the next big payday.
Just speculation by Ryan Rishaug. Sounds pretty plausible to me.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
To be honest I dont think he has fit with the room. There had also been discussions, I believe it was Strudwick (on Gregor's show) that said that McDavid/Draisaitl didnt like playing JP because they didnt like the lanes he took or something. Basically they dont where hes going or what route he will take to get there. I think this is why McLellan rarely played him with McDavid or Draisaitl. Hitchcock has more or less did the same thing. I think this is also partially why hes never been given a shot on the first pp unit. I dont want to turn this into a McDavid/Draisaitl thing because I dont think it is. I am sure if JP had shown more than other players would want to play with him. Skilled players want to play with other skilled players. JP just wasnt/isnt ready for the NHL. I think theres a lot of ppl on this board who want to see him succeed, I know I do but if we are being honest, he hasnt shown much at all (I am not saying that he wont in future). He should be in the AHL or quite honestly maybe they should of left him in Finland for a year or two. Its easy to say that in hindsight, but it was pretty obvious that he should of been in the AHL at the very least. But if JP and his agent did have some say about going down to the AHL, its hard to fault the team too much. While I disagree with some of the people above, I do believe that JP is committed to being a hockey player, but I think there have probably been some poor decisions that were made in handling him by both JP (and his agent/family/whatever) and the club. The main ones being his AHL status, off-ice language and quite possibly his off-ice training (he has some real issues with strength/balance and his puck skills).

Bingo. Maybe, just maybe he's a dud and that's all. Not every pick in the top 10, let alone top 5 are guaranteed stars. I think we might have just picked a poor player at the worst possible time and at this point, it is what it is.

The shitty part is picking said player 'allowed' the GM to part with our most productive winger.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bingo. Maybe, just maybe he's a dud and that's all. Not every pick in the top 10, let alone top 5 are guaranteed stars. I think we might have just picked a poor player at the worst possible time and at this point, it is what it is.

The ****ty part is picking said player 'allowed' the GM to part with our most productive winger.
A lot of bad players to medicore at 4th overall in recent years.

Puljujarvi, Bennett, Reinhart since 2012

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
A lot of bad players to medicore at 4th overall in recent years.

Puljujarvi, Bennett, Reinhart since 2012

I used to get pissed that he was misused or he wasn't putting full effort but I've come to accept maybe he's just not that good in the NHL level. He might carve a niche down the road but as it stands, a dud.

God our scouts suck

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I used to get pissed that he was misused or he wasn't putting full effort but I've come to accept maybe he's just not that good in the NHL level. He might carve a niche down the road but as it stands, a dud.

God our scouts suck
Honestly can't blame the scouts here. 99% of scouts and teams would of taken Puljujarvi there. He could simply be a rare case of a guy who peaked extremely young and never looks even close again.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Honestly can't blame the scouts here. 99% of scouts and teams would of taken Puljujarvi there. He could simply be a rare case of a guy who peaked extremely young and never looks even close again.
Or the development which has produced absolutely nothing in the last decade failed yet again because the geniuses up top thought inserting yet another 18 year old rookie into the lineup was a solution.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or the development which has produced absolutely nothing in the last decade failed yet again because the geniuses up top thought inserting yet another 18 year old rookie into the lineup was a solution.
I don't think development has anything to do with Puljujarvis play. Maybe he would be a high end 4th liner now instead with good devlodevelo.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think development has anything to do with Puljujarvis play. Maybe he would be a high end 4th liner now instead with good devlodevelo.
It has a ton to do with his play. The Oilers threw him into the lion pit with absolutely no instructions. They've not shown this player what to do. They just creamed their pants when he fell to the Oilers and did absolutely no research.

It happens again, and again, and again and it keeps happening. The Oilers are clueless with development. Every year with this bullshit. When you keep drafting busts while other organizations have no trouble, maybe there's something in the water that keeps killing the fish?

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

Friedman, Mckenzie, & Dreger have all alluded to it. From way back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It has a ton to do with his play. The Oilers threw him into the lion pit with absolutely no instructions. They've not shown this player what to do. They just creamed their pants when he fell to the Oilers and did absolutely no research.

It happens again, and again, and again and it keeps happening. The Oilers are clueless with development. Every year with this bull****. When you keep drafting busts while other organizations have no trouble, maybe there's something in the water that keeps killing the fish?
Well they did tell him to use a shorter stick and the guy wouldn't even change that.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Didn’t help that for two and a half years he had a coach that didn’t believe in communicating with players unless you were one of his favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad