Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
He still looks very lanky, not reached his man size yet. Tapejob has evolved too.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
There should be no excuse why they don't utilize him on the PP this season. Woodcroft already got demoted deservingly. If the PP continues to be a similar mess like last season, McLellan can gtfo as well.

If they can do this with Bouchard, there should be no reason why JP shouldn't get PP minutes as well. I want to see both of them being able to feed one another or others like McDavid for bomb one timers from the point and half wall by the faceoff dots.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think JP has necessarily played well enough to merit being thrust into being a top line player just yet.. but I also don't see many better options on this team on the RW side... so auditioning a few players there (while keeping RNH-McDavid stable on the line) would likely be the prudent way to go.

I'm not the biggest fan of Rattie... but I can see them going with that combo to begin and then moving on if he's not meshing and producing.

People will shit on me for this but I think the player most able to play on that RW side is Aberg... has the skill and speed to do so... but will likely be "Auvitu'd" by McLellan this season.

I see almost zero Aberg talk from anyone in camp so I doubt he's going to get much of a look in the top 9 yet I fully expect Caggiula to be stapled up there whether he deserves it or not (he doesn't).

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
There should be no excuse why they don't utilize him on the PP this season. Woodcroft already got demoted deservingly. If the PP continues to be a similar mess like last season, McLellan can gtfo as well.

If they can do this with Bouchard, there should be no reason why JP shouldn't get PP minutes as well. I want to see both of them being able to feed one another or others like McDavid for bomb one timers from the point and half wall by the faceoff dots.

I'm not sure if I'd call that a demotion with regards to Woodcroft, a lot of AHL head coaches turn down NHL assistant coaching jobs, a lot will take them too, but I'd say its at the very least even in terms of hierarchy.

I'd like to see Pulju get some looks on the PP in camp, but I'd say even just coming straight out of junior Bouchard has a better grasp of how to run a PP than does Pulju, Bouchard has a cerebral quality on the PP, knows how to draw defenders, get shots through screens, and reads passing lanes better. It remains to be seen if Bouchard can handle being the last line of defense on the PP and how he'll respond to NHL level penalty killing pressure and closing speed (an asset that he needs to have to stick with the big club), but as a prominent and essential fixture on the PP I have more confidence in Bouchard being an impact player than I do Pulju, even coming straight out of his draft year. Bouchard's overall game should enter the equation as well, but I don't think he's all that far off from being a solid asset on an NHL powerplay, to me it's where he shines brightest, where as Pulju's probably closer to being a difference maker 5 on 5.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I'm not sure if I'd call that a demotion with regards to Woodcroft, a lot of AHL head coaches turn down NHL assistant coaching jobs, a lot will take them too, but I'd say its at the very least even in terms of hierarchy.

I'd like to see Pulju get some looks on the PP in camp, but I'd say even just coming straight out of junior Bouchard has a better grasp of how to run a PP than does Pulju, Bouchard has a cerebral quality on the PP, knows how to draw defenders, get shots through screens, and reads passing lanes better. It remains to be seen if Bouchard can handle being the last line of defense on the PP and how he'll respond to NHL level penalty killing pressure and closing speed (an asset that he needs to have to stick with the big club), but as a prominent and essential fixture on the PP I have more confidence in Bouchard being an impact player than I do Pulju, even coming straight out of his draft year. Bouchard's overall game should enter the equation as well, but I don't think he's all that far off from being a solid asset on an NHL powerplay, to me it's where he shines brightest, where as Pulju's probably closer to being a difference maker 5 on 5.

I understand your view, but it's time to give Pulju a chance to show what he's got on the PP. I mean if he doesn't even get a chance there's really no point in comparing him with Bouchard or anyone.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK he's been used in his proper spot twice in the Oilers. The first time was a period at the beginning of his first year, when he came straight out of his draft year, when only posts and crossbars prevented him from having a succesful start on the PP. According to the comments and what I saw he looked very good there.

Then he got a shot in one preseason game last season and while I didn't see the game there were many comments here that said Puljujarvi looked terrific on the PP. So please at least give him a chance Todd.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

Pulju, apart from Oilers, has always excelled on PP because he is a double threat - he is a very good, creative playmaker and a great shooter as well. I doubt Bouchard is head and shoulders above Pulju in that regard. In fact the only players I'm willing to say that deserve to be on PP above Pulju are McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Pulju, apart from Oilers, has always excelled on PP because he is a double threat - he is a very good, creative playmaker and a great shooter as well. I doubt Bouchard is head and shoulders above Pulju in that regard. In fact the only players I'm willing to say that deserve to be on PP above Pulju are McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge.

I wish I could've put it as simply and as well as that. The double threat thing is what could and IMO should make Pulju a pretty unique PP tool in the NHL, too.

He should've been driven into that role by now and quite frankly if I were Jesse or his agent I'd request for a trade if he plays well and doesn't get a chance this year. Sounds dramatic I know and I certainly hope things work out in the Oilers.

Reactions: PulYou

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

As HockeyHistorian wrote, totally aggree with him. And to @Burnt Biscuits - You may got it conserning Bouchard, but in my opionion, You don't have a clue when assessing Pulju... :confused:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But it remains that Pulju hasn't been these things or exhibited these things much, or at all in the last 2 seasons of his hockey life. Which happens to have taken place here, as an Oiler. I say this because I sometimes wonder if theres any time statute around comments on what a player "is".

The difficulty for Pulju will be that the last time he was feeling like owning hockey, or on top of things was likely 3 seasons ago in Finland. So that he faces the same extreme challenges of any highly touted player that has had ample difficulty rising up at this level.

Not saying it doesn't happen this year, and I'm never saying it won't happen, but that it hasn't. His job is a lot harder now trying to find steam that it would have been 2 seasons ago.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Swipe through what pictures?

For those without an Instagram account (almost anybody over 40) theres one picture, of Lucic and Larsson. There are not multiple pictures available to swipe through.

Does this help? There should be arrows to help browsing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Does this help? There should be arrows to help browsing.

Thanks, I just now noticed the smallest of arrows on the right side that is very easy to miss. Usually such arrows are larger, easy to see. I never use Instagram for anything.

I'm assuming the "swipe through" advice from Mcice is for smartphones only.

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
But it remains that Pulju hasn't been these things or exhibited these things much, or at all in the last 2 seasons of his hockey life.

It's hard to be a good PP playmaker or shooter when you either sit on the bench or are used as a grinder in front of the goal in the 2nd unit. Based on his performance before the NHL and the promising moments at the start of his first season and in the preseason I believe Jesse would do great if given a chance and a bit of freedom.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
But it remains that Pulju hasn't been these things or exhibited these things much, or at all in the last 2 seasons of his hockey life. Which happens to have taken place here, as an Oiler. I say this because I sometimes wonder if theres any time statute around comments on what a player "is".

The difficulty for Pulju will be that the last time he was feeling like owning hockey, or on top of things was likely 3 seasons ago in Finland. So that he faces the same extreme challenges of any highly touted player that has had ample difficulty rising up at this level.

Not saying it doesn't happen this year, and I'm never saying it won't happen, but that it hasn't. His job is a lot harder now trying to find steam that it would have been 2 seasons ago.
I understand where you're coming from, but the point that I am trying to make is that Pulju hasn't even been tried on the PP (properly on the left side where he has excelled in the past). Is it a wonder then that he has nothing to show on the PP? It's absurd to expect him to achieve something if he does not have the opportunity.

I feel like it would be a good idea to put prospects in a position to succeed, then you get the most out of your assets. Now, two years into his NHL career we are in a situation where Pulju hasn't even had a chance to fail (or prove himself) on the PP, which most likely is one of the reasons why he was drafted. It just seems weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad