Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I feel like it's good that he tries a shorter stick, but I understood that he was also told to change to a stiffer stick as well. The problem for me is, that if he changes to a shorter stick and the flex stays the same, it's already a stiffer stick. If he changes the flex too much, it really could hurt his shooting power, which is one of his better aspects.

Of course this all SHOULD BE self-evident for a professional hockey player, but the players do all kinds of crap that hurts them all the time.

This is my fear too, if he still lacks confidence, he might listen to advice, that will hurt him further. Hopefully this does not deepen his learning curve.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Changing to a stiffer stick just means that he has more strength and body weight now. Having a longer stick helps when defending and sometimes when reaching for the puck but hurts pretty much everything else... Switching to a shorter and stiffer stick sounds like a good idea to me.

Reactions: Tiedmen and PulYou

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
You can't always explain everything with players, if they just happen to prefer x option they can be blindly loyal to that.

This always reminds me of how Mike Green prefers to use an old Easton stick that hasn't been manufactured in a decade, and you'll periodically hear about him buying one off a fan for a ridiculous sum.

Reactions: Aerrol

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Is that true? Green will buy used sticks off people from the internet? Used? Very odd.
It was in The Hockey News and stuff... You can also see him playing with Easton CNT and I think V9E sticks in photos.

Some of the sticks are old Easton CNT he gave away, signed, etc. So yes used, but likely used by him.

Mike Green Is Playing With an Easton Stealth Stick That Was Discontinued Almost a Decade Ago
^
one of the original articles

Trending: How fans are lending a stick to Mike Green - Sportsnet.ca
^
subsequent video

Reactions: Aerrol

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Seems like they are planning to start him with Strome. I can't see how it should build his confidence to play third line minutes with lesser talents with whom he has much less chemistry than with Draisaitl or McDavid, but that's just me.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Seems like they are planning to start him with Strome. I can't see how it should build his confidence to play third line minutes with lesser talents with whom he has much less chemistry than with Draisaitl or McDavid, but that's just me.

To be fair, they asked Pulj and he said he felt most comfortable playing with Strome. Let's hope that line takes off. Both players have untapped potential in my opinion and hope the'll both have 40+ seasons.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
To be fair, they asked Pulj and he said he felt most comfortable playing with Strome. Let's hope that line takes off. Both players have untapped potential in my opinion and hope the'll both have 40+ seasons.

that's not how playing on a hockey team works

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Pulju needs to score this season and get his confidence high, I question that from the 3rd line.

It's really, really important he has a strong start to the season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pulju needs to score this season and get his confidence high, I question that from the 3rd line.

It's really, really important he has a strong start to the season.
He can do that on the third line and pp. If he needs to be higher than he should show up in camp and force the issue

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He can do that on the third line and pp. If he needs to be higher than he should show up in camp and force the issue

He doesnt even need to score...he just needs to assert himself and create opportunities.
Force the issue as you stated.

The scoring will come. I would actually much rather see him work for goals than have the goals come too easy.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

That's what McLellan said. Pulju him self has said to Finnish media a whole different story.

First he has said that he rather play with good players to inable his own game. Second he has said this summer that he would like to play PP, PK and he was aiming for the first line duties to get more TOI. No Strome on the first line I guess.

Third when asked who he prefered to play with, it was of course McDavid.

Reactions: dawunderboy and A91

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Well I don't have huge amount of faith on that 3rd line.

Confidence is everything for young players/prospects, and Pulju needs to be able to have the puck and get chances.

I'm not saying he has to be given a top line spot but if he deserves it give him what he deserve and don't use him with useless players just because, and give him a shot on the #1pp if he looks good.

Reactions: PulYou

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well I don't have huge amount of faith on that 3rd line.

Confidence is everything for young players/prospects, and Pulju needs to be able to have the puck and get chances.

I'm not saying he has to be given a top line spot but if he deserves it give him what he deserve and don't use him with useless players just because, and give him a shot on the #1pp if he looks good.

Considering he is definitively the 2nd best player on that 3rd line it's a bit rich saying he shouldn't play with useless players "just because"

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I don't much care which line Pulju is on in training camp. Over the year that will sort itself out.

What I do care about is that he gets some meaningful PP time...and in a position that leverages his strengths. Considering how bad special teams were last year, there is no excuse not to give him that chance.

Reactions: McAsuno and PulYou

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Puljujarvi still needs to establish himself as an NHL regular, let a long a top six player. It will be very clear early on if he's coming in to the season with more confidence. On that third line, he needs to be the primary puck carrier bringing the puck into the zone and making plays. That's a good spot for him to prove whether he's ready to take the next step or not.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I am completely fine with the lineup (Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi has a good mix to it and I think they can match up well to many other teams 3rd lines) as long as Puljujarvi is on the top PP unit. Specifically in the one-time position he has excelled in his entire career before coming here.

We need to put our high potential players in positions to succeed. Give him a chance there at least and if it doesnt work take him out.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
exactly

don't just stick him on the top 2 lines because he's a former #4 overall...he needs to show he's "too good" for the 3rd line

I can live with a 3rd line spot, especially with proper PP usage. However, I do think it'd be better to put him with McDavid or Drai because he started the last season very well and I'd like him to be given a chance to a similar start. If it works as well it will serve the team too and help with getting Pulju's confidence up.

E: Khaira- Strome -Puljujarvi should work better than Caggiula-Strome-Puljujarvi I read somewhere earlier...

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Puljujarvi still needs to establish himself as an NHL regular, let a long a top six player. It will be very clear early on if he's coming in to the season with more confidence. On that third line, he needs to be the primary puck carrier bringing the puck into the zone and making plays. That's a good spot for him to prove whether he's ready to take the next step or not.

I see your point, but I don't think being the primary puck carrier should be the only ticket up. In my opinion being one of the most efficient scorers (if he manages to do the same he did for quite a while last year) is worth a lot, actually even more than being good at carrying the puck.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Here is the Oilers depth chart for top 6 RW minutes ahead of JP.

Rattie
Raider
Draisaitl
RNH
Caggiula
Yamamoto
Aberg
Strome
Kassian
Benson
Letestu

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I see your point, but I don't think being the primary puck carrier should be the only ticket up. In my opinion being one of the most efficient scorers (if he manages to do the same he did for quite a while last year) is worth a lot, actually even more than being good at carrying the puck.

Just based on what I saw in the juniors though, he has the potential to be much more than a one shot scorer. I think for his development, it might be better for him to be "the guy" on a line rather than riding with McDavid all season. I guess I'm just saying I can see where the coaching staff is coming from.

Compare him with a guy like Rattie, and I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Rattie will ever be an elite playmaker or skater. Puljujarvi could still develop into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad