Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Seems to echo a lot of the concerns fans had with Draisaitl. That being said, largely for different reasons - ex Drai footspeed. Different types of players, hopefully they follow a similar trajectory.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bang on. You'd think Oiler fans would know better given our recent history.

I really doubt that playing a 64p in 73 gp rookie is the reason they didn't make playoffs ...

I do agree that they should play to win but I also do think that playing Puljujärvi with McDavid very likely could have actually given them the best chance to win.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really doubt that playing a 64p in 73 gp rookie is the reason they didn't make playoffs ...

I do agree that they should play to win but I also do think that playing Puljujärvi with McDavid very likely could have actually given them the best chance to win.

The fact that we were a lot better than expected last year leads me to question why anyone even wastes time questioning something like this.

The team has exceeded damn near everyone one's expectations. Something tells me the guys running this club have an idea and if Puljujarvi was as good as people thought then he'd be playing.

Nothing against Puljujarvi, but his AHL totals weren't even as impressive offensively as Laine's in the NHL. And Puljujarvi struggled in the AHL with two-way play, so it's not like you could say he was just focused on defense so he couldn't put up offesnive numbers.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Seems to echo a lot of the concerns fans had with Draisaitl. That being said, largely for different reasons - ex Drai footspeed. Different types of players, hopefully they follow a similar trajectory.

I hope they follow similar trajectory.

I think JP will be better year coming off a relatively healthy year from his knee surgery.

I think language barrier has hurt JP a lot this year. I think he missed some information this year from coaching staff.

Draitsaitl played in WHL so he was used to the ice surface. His english was considerably better. Draitsaitl's hockey IQ is elite as well.

From what I saw of JP earlier in the year, I think his hockey IQ is pretty good (he was often in good position), but I dont think he adjusted too well to the speed of the game. He also doesnt use his large body very effectively.

I think he will be better next year, but whether he cracks the lineup I dont know. It will be tougher for him because the expectations of the Oilers are going to be high and there will be more pressure to perform at a high level consistently.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Tough to say. Maybe if they played some of their more veteran and defensively responsible forwards a bit more they would have had more success.

They were 12 points out, so maybe not, but it's awfully rare to see a team with a heavy focus on a rookie getting massive minutes, having success. It's what makes Toronto so remarkable to me this season.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The fact that we were a lot better than expected last year leads me to question why anyone even wastes time questioning something like this.

The team has exceeded damn near everyone one's expectations. Something tells me the guys running this club have an idea and if Puljujarvi was as good as people thought then he'd be playing.

Nothing against Puljujarvi, but his AHL totals weren't even as impressive offensively as Laine's in the NHL. And Puljujarvi struggled in the AHL with two-way play, so it's not like you could say he was just focused on defense so he couldn't put up offesnive numbers.

Yup, seeing what a great coach and a great GM can actually do for a team has made me really take a step back and trust them more. Like, seriously, what the hell do I know? Nothing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup, seeing what a great coach and a great GM can actually do for a team has made me really take a step back and trust them more. Like, seriously, what the hell do I know? Nothing.

:laugh::laugh:

I don't know if I want you agreeing with me then

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, as it turns out that McDavid kid is pretty damn good, isn't he?

We heard these pts/60 arguments with Yakupov and they didn't hold water then either. Fancy stats are fine when the player in question is producing.

It's like people think they're smarter than the coaching staff. Sorry, but I don't really give a crap about points/60 or whatever. I care about actual points on the scoreboard.

His AHL stats aren't exactly glowing either.

Hes 18.

Hes not Drai with previous NHL experience and NA experience. Hes not 26 year old Eberle with like 6 NHL seasons.

Hes 18 and he scored points are a very good rate. Stop ******** on him. Hes not Yakupov.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At the end of the day this guy is a kid playing in a different type of hockey here in North America.

How many players come from Europe and have success so early? The fact is not a lot of NA born players come in and make a huge impact in their first year right after being drafted, and the number is even less for non-NA born players.

I really don't care what Laine did or does either because at the end of the day Laine went 2nd overall for a reason. A guy like Barkov took 3 years to get going so I'm not overly concerned even if Puljujarvi isnt making an impact next year.

Given where this team is right now, no one should be shocked if Pul is in the AHL next year to start or even given a similar role to what he had this year. This team is going to be even less concerned about letting prospects grow in the NHL next year so it will be up to him to prove himself and force PC to make room for him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If the organization catered to JP and put him in a feature role next to Mcdavid and 1st unit PP time then he probably would have finished the year with 50+ points. Thankfully the organization is past the point of gifting rookies minutes and are letting him develop into a complete player. People seem to forget that is practically at the same level as Laine and he will be fine once he becomes an NHL regular. The only thing I wish they did was send him down to the AHL before he played 9 games, then call him up for the playoff run to be part of the team atmosphere and maybe get some 4th line minutes.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
If the organization catered to JP and put him in a feature role next to Mcdavid and 1st unit PP time then he probably would have finished the year with 50+ points. Thankfully the organization is past the point of gifting rookies minutes and are letting him develop into a complete player. People seem to forget that is practically at the same level as Laine and he will be fine once he becomes an NHL regular. The only thing I wish they did was send him down to the AHL before he played 9 games, then call him up for the playoff run to be part of the team atmosphere and maybe get some 4th line minutes.

Exactly.
Prime example was Seguin compared to Hall and how different each organization handled thrm.
We now finally have the luxury other top teams do for development.
Exercise a little patience guys.
Might take Jesse another season in the AHLfor all we know.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
"A lot of time"? "Failed to produce"?

Please, if you're going to comment, at least give opinions and not something that's complete nonsense and 100% verifiably untrue.

He got 84:02 of ice time with McDavid. He had 5.71 GF/60 with him, which is extremely high. He also got 4 assists in that time, which in turn is 2.86 p/60. McDavid's p/60 for the entire season is 2.89.

McDavid overall had 3.53 GF/60, so Puljujärvi increased his on ice production quite a bit. Also, McDavid had 5+3=8 in 84:02 with Puljujärvi, which is 5.71 p/60 - Almost double his average for the season.

NO ONE on Oilers produced better with McDavid per 60 minutes played in 5v5 than Puljujärvi. NO ONE.

So please do your research before posting next time.

Anything/60 is completely useless when you are looking at a TOI together which is fairly close to 60 mins. Take away one assist and suddenly he would have been the bottom of the list in p/60 with McD.

If you watched the games and think he deserved and/or was better than the other option then fine, but the stats argument is a really bad one when talking about these kinds of sample sizes.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
He shouldn't have been compared to Laine to begin with. The guy was MVP in the FEL playoffs, while Pulju was occasionally benched there. His only goal against Laine's team was scored in OT after his benching of 2 periods (playing fresh vs tired players). I did not know what people saw in him to suggest he was close to Laine even back then. Better WJC performance? Lets see... Pulju scored 0 goals in the latter stages (vs Canada, Sweden and Russia), Laine scored 3. That being said, he has potential to be a legit top 6 player.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I do not understand his selection to the Worlds tho. Just not good enough. People expecting him boom there are going to set themselves for a disappointment. Never seen a player selected with as little resume. Rantanen was healthty scratched in most games last year and he was dominant in the A.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hes 18.

Hes not Drai with previous NHL experience and NA experience. Hes not 26 year old Eberle with like 6 NHL seasons.

Hes 18 and he scored points are a very good rate. Stop ******** on him. Hes not Yakupov.

And like you said, he's not Draisaitl either. People need to stop pencilling him into the top 6 in 2018. You want him to follow Yakupov's trajectory? Force him into our top 6 before he's ready.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
AHL player is practically at the same level as NHL +35 goalscorer? Sorry, but what...? He hasn't been practically at the same level since 2015 u18. Literally the only thing he has on him is skating and the gap for that is likely going to narrow in the future even more. But maybe you know more than Kekäläinen and his staff... he has an impressive draft resume (for example drafting Tarasenko) tho, so I don't think that's the case.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
BTW if you think hfboards is harsh on prospects; never go to Finnish forum named Jatkoaika: "Drinking game for Puljujärvi. Take a shot everytime he shoots wide or straight to the logo. Take double if he shoots at ridiculously small angle." :shakehead ...that's just harsh.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
AHL player is practically at the same level as NHL +35 goalscorer? Sorry, but what...? He hasn't been practically at the same level since 2015 u18. Literally the only thing he has on him is skating and the gap for that is likely going to narrow in the future even more. But maybe you know more than Kekäläinen and his staff... he has an impressive draft resume (for example drafting Tarasenko) tho, so I don't think that's the case.

Why? Is it because he was passed over for Dubois? A move which shocked everyone and had the Oiler scouts and PC giggling like little girls right after Columbus made their pick. CBJ missed the post season his first 2 years as GM, finally making it this season. CBJ also has an excellent scouting staff and the call to draft Dubois was by them with the approval of Kekäläinen. Almost every scouting agency were flipping Laine and JP until Laine took over for good during the last half of their draft year. Laine is looking like a future 50 goal scorer right now and is currently miles ahead of JP but Edmonton is developing JP into Mcdavid's future RW and a 2way, 30-30 type of player.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
BTW if you think hfboards is harsh on prospects; never go to Finnish forum named Jatkoaika: "Drinking game for Puljujärvi. Take a shot everytime he shoots wide or straight to the logo. Take double if he shoots at ridiculously small angle." :shakehead ...that's just harsh.

Why you here and downgrade a 18 year old prospect at our board, Go to the Jets board if you get a hard on thinking of Laine or take your stuff to the main board.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
He shouldn't have been compared to Laine to begin with. The guy was MVP in the FEL playoffs, while Pulju was occasionally benched there. His only goal against Laine's team was scored in OT after his benching of 2 periods (playing fresh vs tired players). I did not know what people saw in him to suggest he was close to Laine even back then. Better WJC performance? Lets see... Pulju scored 0 goals in the latter stages (vs Canada, Sweden and Russia), Laine scored 3. That being said, he has potential to be a legit top 6 player.

And Pulju played FEL playoffs with a major injury, which later effected his offseason and confidence, actually before that injury pulju was producing more than Laine, but then again he played with Aho........

Laine has better head than Pulju he keep´s bouncing back every time he gets pushed down and he still keeps believing he is the best player in the world or atleast going to be. That´s the biggest difference betveen them. Pulju is not sure is he good or not.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Did I miss something or did they burn a year off of his entry level deal by playing him one game too many?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Did I miss something or did they burn a year off of his entry level deal by playing him one game too many?

At Puljujarvi's age he already burned a year in his 10th game, so it was never really a close call since he ended up with 28 GP.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Why you here and downgrade a 18 year old prospect at our board, Go to the Jets board if you get a hard on thinking of Laine or take your stuff to the main board.
How am I downgrading him? Some of the posters seem to think he was at Laine's level before he got drafted and that's unfair to Puljujärvi. They weren't: anybody with eyes could see that. I'm just trying to defend him from unrealistic expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad