Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
*** crickets ***

hopefully the guy comes out stronger next year. Could have surely used a Laine 2.0 this playoffs run,

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
*** crickets ***

hopefully the guy comes out stronger next year. Could have surely used a Laine 2.0 this playoffs run,

I know this has been beaten to death, but I am definitely on the "he didn't get enough of a chance" wagon. Laine screwed up huge in multiple games for WPG and they just kept playing him. He got through it, got stronger, and became a lethal offensive weapon. JP needed more playing time and breathing room. He'd better get it next year!

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I know this has been beaten to death, but I am definitely on the "he didn't get enough of a chance" wagon. Laine screwed up huge in multiple games for WPG and they just kept playing him. He got through it, got stronger, and became a lethal offensive weapon. JP needed more playing time and breathing room. He'd better get it next year!

He had 25 games and fans were screaming to send him back down.

Laine was a calder candidate.

:popcorn:

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Dont know what happens mentally to Pulju if Finland drops him from the final WHC team. It wouldnt be surprise, been the worst player in practice games.

Pulju seems to be worse player than he was a year ago. Not a good sign for the future.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dont know what happens mentally to Pulju if Finland drops him from the final WHC team. It wouldnt be surprise, been the worst player in practice games.

Pulju seems to be worse player than he was a year ago. Not a good sign for the future.

Hopefully it would mean that he works even harder in the offseason.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I was a bit fast with my post. Final roster for WHC was published 10 minutes ago and Jesse is in the final team.

Hopefully these practise games have been affected by jetlag and Pulju rises to next level in the actual tournament.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Hes STILL only 18 guys. He turns 19 in a week or so.

LOTS of development time left.

He played in the NHL for a lot of games, played in the AHL playoff push and scored nearly a PPG, and made his national team for the WHC. Thats a fantastic year for an 18 year old.

Im happy with his season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This team Finland is embarrassing, absolutely abysmal.

I haven't seen anyone do anything with the puck, no puck controll, no real scoring chances/offensive pressure. Just hockey as boring as it can get.

Like the other Pulju didn't do anything in the games, but again his skating didn't look normal so hopefully he's still adjusting from the flight.
Pulju has the most potential to grow during this tourney and I hope he build his confidence in the 1st few "weaker" games.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC

And Laine get full time first line time with Scheifele and Wheeler, which helps a lot.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
And the Jets missed the playoffs. I like the version of the oilers that makes the playoffs and leaves the struggling rookies in development leagues ehere they belong.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Those practice games were really strange to watch. Puljujarvi playing #39 btw goes north to south but his linemates slow down and play more eurostyle. Jesse tried to go towards the net but nobody shoots puck there. When he plays himself open to be ready to shoot passes don't go through. Whole team played like it is first game of the season. Chemistry isn't there yet and only few games time to find it.

At least Jesse played like he has been trained in NA, being more available (shot ready) and going to the net and much more straight forward skating lines that he used to have.
He has always been good puck hound which will be great skill together with his speed, stamina and reach, when he is ready to take PK minutes (complete player).

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
And the Jets missed the playoffs. I like the version of the oilers that makes the playoffs and leaves the struggling rookies in development leagues ehere they belong.

And Laine made 0.88 ppg and ended up with positive +/-.

Anyways Laine and Pulju haven't been comparables in a while so it's not fair for Pulju to compare him to Laine. Different caliber players.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He had 25 games and fans were screaming to send him back down.

Laine was a calder candidate.

:popcorn:

Actually, it was more like "send him back down if you're going to play him only 10 mins per game with scrubs".

Laine got ice time with good players like Scheifele and Little almost all the time.

I don't think that Puljujärvi's first half of the season was handled correctly. And of course, they played him just enough to make him ineligible for Calder...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Actually, it was more like "send him back down if you're going to play him only 10 mins per game with scrubs".

Laine got ice time with good players like Scheifele and Little almost all the time.

I don't think that Puljujärvi's first half of the season was handled correctly. And of course, they played him just enough to make him ineligible for Calder...

He got a lot of time with McDavid and still failed to produce.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

To your point, I think the other thing that affected Puljujarvi was that Edmonton was in a playoff positive from the very first game and it was evident after a few weeks that fan base and management expected this team to make the playoffs with the start they had.

TM knew he would get criticized if the Oilers didnt make the playoffs so he started cutting back JP ice time because he did not feel comfortable with him. The thing that was frustrated was that JP was playing pretty good initially and even in spurts (like when he was with McDavid) then he got demoted. Which seemed to ruin his confidence. Maybe TM just didnt like his practice habits (could of been communication issue). Seemed like Bakersfield coach didnt really like JP game either. From all accounts it seems like JP works hard so I dont think its that. Could just be language barrier.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well he did produce with McDavid to some extent. He got some assists. Was when McDavid got his first hattrick. He looked probably more dangerous with McDavid than Eberle did.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

"A lot of time"? "Failed to produce"?

Please, if you're going to comment, at least give opinions and not something that's complete nonsense and 100% verifiably untrue.

He got 84:02 of ice time with McDavid. He had 5.71 GF/60 with him, which is extremely high. He also got 4 assists in that time, which in turn is 2.86 p/60. McDavid's p/60 for the entire season is 2.89.

McDavid overall had 3.53 GF/60, so Puljujärvi increased his on ice production quite a bit. Also, McDavid had 5+3=8 in 84:02 with Puljujärvi, which is 5.71 p/60 - Almost double his average for the season.

NO ONE on Oilers produced better with McDavid per 60 minutes played in 5v5 than Puljujärvi. NO ONE.

So please do your research before posting next time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"A lot of time"? "Failed to produce"?

Please, if you're going to comment, at least give opinions and not something that's complete nonsense and 100% verifiably untrue.

He got 84:02 of ice time with McDavid. He had 5.71 GF/60 with him, which is extremely high. He also got 4 assists in that time, which in turn is 2.86 p/60. McDavid's p/60 for the entire season is 2.89.

McDavid overall had 3.53 GF/60, so Puljujärvi increased his on ice production quite a bit. Also, McDavid had 5+3=8 in 84:02 with Puljujärvi, which is 5.71 p/60 - Almost double his average for the season.

So please do your research before posting next time.

He scored a single goal in the opening game of the season.

Whoop de ****. Those are Yakupov numbers. Funny how McDavid was ripping it up down the stretch without Pulu. Fancy that, huh?

Leave him in the minors and let him develop. There's no reason to bring him up or play him until he's ready.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He scored a single goal in the opening game of the season.

Whoop de ****. Those are Yakupov numbers. Funny how McDavid was ripping it up down the stretch without Pulu. Fancy that, huh?

Leave him in the minors and let him develop. There's no reason to bring him up or play him until he's ready.

... Did you just decide to not read my post at all?

"Puljujärvi failed to produce with McDavid" is your argument.

Draisaitl with McDavid: 2.24 p/60

Maroon with McDavid: 2.22 p/60

Puljujärvi with McDavid: 2.86 p/60

The GF/60 stats are actually off the charts, too.

You are specifically nitpicking about Puljujärvi not scoring any goals, when he did help McDavid get a hat trick. But your argument is just objectively false. These are just simple statistics. My argument is "If Puljujärvi got to play with McDavid more, he would not have stayed at 0 goals". But that is my opinion. Verifiable facts say that Puljujärvi was the most effective partner for McDavid in all of Oilers during the time they were together.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
... Did you just decide to not read my post at all?

"Puljujärvi failed to produce with McDavid" is your argument.

Draisaitl with McDavid: 2.24 p/60

Maroon with McDavid: 2.22 p/60

Puljujärvi with McDavid: 2.86 p/60

The GF/60 stats are actually off the charts, too.

You are specifically nitpicking about Puljujärvi not scoring any goals, when he did help McDavid get a hat trick. But your argument is just objectively false. These are just simple statistics.

Yeah, as it turns out that McDavid kid is pretty damn good, isn't he?

We heard these pts/60 arguments with Yakupov and they didn't hold water then either. Fancy stats are fine when the player in question is producing.

It's like people think they're smarter than the coaching staff. Sorry, but I don't really give a crap about points/60 or whatever. I care about actual points on the scoreboard.

His AHL stats aren't exactly glowing either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

WPG also didn't make the playoffs. Maybe if they were more worried about winning instead of a rookie they would've made it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
And Laine made 0.88 ppg and ended up with positive +/-.

Anyways Laine and Pulju haven't been comparables in a while so it's not fair for Pulju to compare him to Laine. Different caliber players.

I agree they are different caliber players. Not even close. But that's not what some folks have been going on about since before the draft.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
To your point, I think the other thing that affected Puljujarvi was that Edmonton was in a playoff positive from the very first game and it was evident after a few weeks that fan base and management expected this team to make the playoffs with the start they had.

TM knew he would get criticized if the Oilers didnt make the playoffs so he started cutting back JP ice time because he did not feel comfortable with him. The thing that was frustrated was that JP was playing pretty good initially and even in spurts (like when he was with McDavid) then he got demoted. Which seemed to ruin his confidence. Maybe TM just didnt like his practice habits (could of been communication issue). Seemed like Bakersfield coach didnt really like JP game either. From all accounts it seems like JP works hard so I dont think its that. Could just be language barrier.

It looked like a kid still figuring things out that was not ready for the NHL and needed to go back to the AHL, where he looks to be an average player. He has a long, long, way to go yet. I'm rooting hard for him but I'm a little nervous about his potential not living up to his draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad