Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Staaled Out Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I would prefer lower like others but he's worth what Anderson and Drouin are getting. I would limit the term to Suzuki and KK's bridge years. Then when we have to pay them, We might be able to let Danault go in his 30+ years.
Unfortunately, PD didn’t get knocked off the top 6 podium, so he’ll likely get that. 5.5M. I don’t think they’ll plan out their center depth based on potential.

of course KK will want a short term bridge. Suzuki will cash in if he has another season like this one, or better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unfortunately, PD didn’t get knocked off the top 6 podium, so he’ll likely get that. 5.5M. I don’t think they’ll plan out their center depth based on potential.

of course KK will want a short term bridge. Suzuki will cash in if he has another season like this one, or better.

There is no problem with his usage this year and many teams would love to have a center like that. $5.5M is the max and we prefer $5M or under. It's not worth losing him in the years where Suzuki and KK are maturing.

I'm fine with his 5/5 and PK time. We really do roll 3 lines so there is no top 6 on the Habs for a bit yet. The skilled ones get their extra time on the PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Look, if there's some verbal agreement with Staal about "not sitting him" you break that shit right away. This is the pros, and the guy is literally a UFA mercenary. Who cares if he gets mad? He's gone anyway and he's bad. You would rather cost us games/alienate KK just you don't hurt a guy's feelings? Nah.

If Albert effing Pujols can get DFA'd in baseball because it's the best decision for the team, we can sit Eric Staal.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
There is no problem with his usage this year and many teams would love to have a center like that. $5.5M is the max and we prefer $5M or under. It's not worth losing him in the years where Suzuki and KK are maturing.

I'm fine with his 5/5 and PK time. We really do roll 3 lines so there is no top 6 on the Habs for a bit yet. The skilled ones get their extra time on the PP.
Danault will get better offers in the summer from other teams like Columbus,Wild maybe even the Rangers if they dont get a center via trade and i dont see Poehling spending another year in the AHL

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

All the Habs are doing is artificially inflating Danault's salary while holding back Kotkaniemi.

I'm a fan of Danault but I don't think it's realistic or wise to retain him at that kind of money.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All the Habs are doing is artificially inflating Danault's salary while holding back Kotkaniemi.

I'm a fan of Danault but I don't think it's realistic or wise to retain him at that kind of money.

Nope. There is room for KK in the top 3 mix and he gets more time on the PP vs Danault. Danault is not blocking KK, KK is blocking KK. He has to win more puck battles and faceoffs as a starting point.

You don't understand coaching. We went through this over and over again. We are not the Sens where we will just play them and let them learn on the job. It's not a 100% rebuilding team and you are confused by that. KK will have to earn his way like pretty much every single NHL player. He's not on a rocket upward type trajectory like some hope. I think he will be fine but it's going to be growing pains. Until then, we will need Danault in our mix.

Stop using the Danault excuse as to why KK is not where you think he should be. Leave Danault alone. He's worth around $5M. Complaining about that is nonsense. And you really going to let him walk for $500k? Trying to pretend that Danault is only worth $4M or less is crazy talk. $5M is the right number. $4.5M is a great value and $5.5M is slight overpayment. Reality

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nope. There is room for KK in the top 3 mix and he gets more time on the PP vs Danault. Danault is not blocking KK, KK is blocking KK. He has to win more puck battles and faceoffs as a starting point.
Not sure how you can look at the current situation, factor in that Danault will be getting a RAISE, which essentially locks his spot into the top 6, and conclude that there's room for all 3.

Suzuki and Danault will continue to get the bulk of the even strength minutes and the challenges that Kotkaniemi needs to grow into the player they drafted.

You don't understand coaching. We went through this over and over again. We are not the Sens where we will just play them and let them learn on the job. It's not a 100% rebuilding team and you are confused by that. KK will have to earn his way like pretty much every single NHL player. He's not on a rocket upward type trajectory like some hope. I think he will be fine but it's going to be growing pains. Until then, we will need Danault in our mix.
I'm sorry I don't understand coaching quite like you do, what with all your experience coaching at the NHL level..

But I'm not naïve enough to think that players "earn" their roles.

That's a load of bullshit for media and fans to consume.

Danault didn't earn shit and he found himself on the Habs top line with Radulov and Pacioretty.

So miss me with that.
Stop using the Danault excuse as to why KK is not where you think he should be. Leave Danault alone. He's worth around $5M. Complaining about that is nonsense. And you really going to let him walk for $500k? Trying to pretend that Danault is only worth $4M or less is crazy talk. $5M is the right number. $4.5M is a great value and $5.5M is slight overpayment. Reality
If you commit to Danault...trade Kotkaniemi to bolster your defense or top 6.

Otherwise...Danaukt will have to accept a salary that represents his value going forward (#3 C) or he simply walks this offseason and signs a big deal with another team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure how you can look at the current situation, factor in that Danault will be getting a RAISE, which essentially locks his spot into the top 6, and conclude that there's room for all 3.

Suzuki and Danault will continue to get the bulk of the even strength minutes and the challenges that Kotkaniemi needs to grow into the player they drafted.

I'm sorry I don't understand coaching quite like you do, what with all your experience coaching at the NHL level..

But I'm not naïve enough to think that players "earn" their roles.

That's a load of bullshit for media and fans to consume.

Danault didn't earn shit and he found himself on the Habs top line with Radulov and Pacioretty.

So miss me with that.

If you commit to Danault...trade Kotkaniemi to bolster your defense or top 6.

Otherwise...Danaukt will have to accept a salary that represents his value going forward (#3 C).

It's not rocket science. You sign Danault for the years of when Suzuki and KK approach their prime years... which will be bridge years. $4.5M - $5.5M for 3 or 4 years and you roll 3 lines 5/5 and Suzuki and KK get extra time on the PP while Danault gets PK time.

Now, if Danault pushes for $6M and don't budge while Evans plays very well in this playoffs, I'd consider letting him walk. I would really test to see how much Danault really wants to stay a Habs. I don't think he wants to leave

Danault is not blocking KK. That is false. KK will have to earn his spot like Suzuki did which is ahead of Danault.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not rocket science. You sign Danault for the years of when Suzuki and KK approach their prime years... which will be bridge years. $4.5M - $5.5M for 3 or 4 years and you roll 3 lines 5/5 and Suzuki and KK get extra time on the PP while Danault gets PK time.

Now, if Danault pushes for $6M and don't budge while Evans plays very well in this playoffs, I'd consider letting him walk. I would really test to see how much Danault really wants to stay a Habs. I don't think he wants to leave

Danault is not blocking KK. That is false. KK will have to earn his spot like Suzuki did which is ahead of Danault.
Neither Suzuki or Danault "earned" their spots.

It was handed to them and they took it and ran (especially Danault).

Danault had 5prs in 21 games to finish his first year playing 4th line and then somehow ended up the #1C the following year.

Stop it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Funny part about this is if you go to our conversations last offseason, I even told you, don't expect Kotkaniemi to take a step forward this coming year as long as he was playing behind Suzuki and Danault.

Not shockingly, that's exactly what happened...even when Danault was playing like absolute dog shit, the Habs refused to even try Kotkaniemi in an expanded role, all that mattered to them was getting Danault back on track.

The only time this coaching staff ever had confidence in Kotkaniemi was in the bubble last year (when Danault publicly complained about what was at the time, a diminishing role).

And another shocker...that's when he's looked the best.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Danault had 5prs in 21 games to finish his first year playing 4th line and then somehow ended up the #1C the following year.

Stop it.

I disagree that neither of Suzuki or Danault earned their spots. Conversation over

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The simple fact that you're trying to convince people that he's better than the 4th line center - who's also at his worst right now - should be ample proof that he's not a dynamic player for the time being. Add to that the turnovers and he's a liability.

As for reports, I know for sure you've seen them as you are an avid hockey fan. Seems like a flippant remark to me.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi aurait demandé à Shea Weber de s’occuper de Claude Julien

DLC is a rag. We call it DansLesCouilles

Reactions: Doc McKenna

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Stop it.

I seem to remember that Danault started a season on the 4th line with Torrey Mitchell, and he was producing very well on it. That may have been the year where he eventually moved up the lineup for good.

I don't think he ever went into a camp where he was handed the number one job with 5 points in 21 games or whatever it was.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Need to wait and see, Andrighetto looked gangbusters w Avs after being dealt, and posters were loosing their minds. 1-season later he was on his way out.

The Andrighetto comparison is ridiculous. You know what Mete did with Ottawa? He simply continued where he left off in November 2019, before his injury and the constant shuffling he got afterwards.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I seem to remember that Danault started a season on the 4th line with Torrey Mitchell, and he was producing very well on it. That may have been the year where he eventually moved up the lineup for good.

I don't think he ever went into a camp where he was handed the number one job with 5 points in 21 games or whatever it was.
He started out on the 4th like but didn't spend too much time there.

He didn't earn shit...the team was bereft of C's

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Stop it.
I hope you realize that's a crock. Suzuki started off on the 4th line last year when KK was on the third. Suzuki earned his way up the lineup. KK earned his way into the press box.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I hope you realize that's a crock. Suzuki started off on the 4th line last year when KK was on the third. Suzuki earned his way up the lineup. KK earned his way into the press box.
How did he "earn" his icetime?

Can you point to something specific he did better than Kotkaniemi did his rookie season?

Yes Suzuki played well...and the team responded by rewarding him with more icetime and responsibilities.

This has NEVER happened with Kotkaniemi...he's had several stretches of strong play that never resulted in the same outcome it did for Suzuki and Danault.

Reactions: Habs178
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad