Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi- So You See That's Where The Trouble Began,That Smile,That Damned Smile Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, he could very well be, but it doesnt mean he is going to be a top 10 player.
I don't think he's a top 10 asset in the NHL today...I could easily name 10 players I'd rather have, but hey, I'll be very pleased if he becomes one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think he's a top 10 asset in the NHL today...I could easily name 10 players I'd rather have, but hey, I'll be very pleased if he becomes one.
Asset means you have an investment on the future. Id probably name 70 players Id like more than Jesperi right now, but hes a cost controlled assets for the next 6 years and hes also an investment for 20 years.

McDavid is going to be the best player on the planet for the next 15 years.
Dahlin is Dahlin.
Mackinnon is still going to be the 2nd best in the league for the next 10 or so.
Matthews is going to be top ten ish for the next 15ish years.

Then hes in with a few players, Pettersson, Hischier, Heiskanen, Jones, Hughes next year, Barkov, McAvoy, Barzal, maybe Chabot?
I wouldnt trade Kotkaniemi for any of those. Maybe Pettersson/Barzal/Barkov for likeliness of potential?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Asset means you have an investment on the future. Id probably name 70 players Id like more than Jesperi right now, but hes a cost controlled assets for the next 6 years and hes also an investment for 20 years.

Dahlin is Dahlin.
Mackinnon is still going to be the 2nd best in the league for the next 10 or so.

Then hes in with a few players, Pettersson, Hischier, Heiskanen, Jones, Hughes next year, Barkov, McAvoy, Barzal, maybe Chabot?
I wouldnt trade Kotkaniemi for any of those. Maybe Pettersson/Barzal/Barkov for likeliness of potential?

What you have to understand is that potential means nearly nothing and actually reaching it is the difficult part...

There is no indication that Kotka is even in the same stratosphere as Barkov in terms of defensive play, puck control and overall offensive ability. You are feeding the trolls that think we overvalue our players. Kotkaniemi is a solid pick and I personally think he is a can't miss top 2 line C but putting him in the same category as young players that have been dominant is absolutely ridiculous. When is the last time we had a player produce like Barzal that has been ppg since his entry in the league , I don't see that kind of execution/production from Kotkaniemi. He is very good but saying that you wouldn't trade him for anything less than the top 4-5 players in the league is asinine.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Unless every single one of scouts of whom none rated him in the top 2-3 of this draft are absolutely clueless.

Well, I’m being sarcastic but that’s actually what did happen with Pettersson. All the scouts were in fact wrong.

But one year age difference not withstanding, there’s a universe of a gulf between what Pettersson and Kotka can do on the ice at this point in time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What you have to understand is that potential means nearly nothing and actually reaching it is the difficult part...

There is no indication that Kotka is even in the same stratosphere as Barkov in terms of defensive play, puck control and overall offensive ability. You are feeding the trolls that think we overvalue our players. Kotkaniemi is a solid pick and I personally think he is a can't miss top 2 line C but putting him the category as young players that been dominant is absolutely ridiculous. When is the last time we had a player produce like Barzal that has been ppg since his entry in the league , I don't see that kind of execution/production from Kotkaniemi.
So we cant have a nice prospect because we didnt have one in years? Obviously ommiting Galchenyuk, Price and Subban who were all top youngsters.

You dont see that kind of execution because one player got to dominate in juniors for years in the juniors meanwhile Kotkaniemi got to do that against u18 competition against best in the world Jack Hughes.

People have a hard time evaluating talent around here. Koktaniemi is doing things that not even Pettersson got to do at his age, first because hes older, and because he didnt play in the NHL at this age. Your holding Kotkaniemi hostage of a comparison that does not make sense. Hes not an exceptional player, just like Barzal, hes not going to be PPG at 18.

And who cares about the trolls. Do you think the three Florida fans cared about the trolls when they claimed hed be a top 10 center in the league 5 years ago? Kotkaniemi is as good a prospect as Barkov was, Ive been saying the same thing for the last 6 months, im not going to suddenly change my tune because he was rushed to the NHL and you guys can't (or wont) make a call by fear of looking like a homer or being wrong.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So we cant have a nice prospect because we didnt have one in years? Obviously ommiting Galchenyuk, Price and Subban who were all top youngsters.

I didn't say or imply that in anyway , since when am I known for being unreasonable?

Is he a good prospect? Yes.
Is he the best player in his draft? Way too early to tell.
Is he even a top 10/15 prospect currently? Heavily debatable.

I don't see how he has done enough to be projected in the same group as Barkov/Barzal/Pettersson. He would need to take huge leaps over the next year or so to project anywhere close to those guys. That isn't a slight on Kotkaniemi , he is very talented and he will be a great piece for the Habs moving forward. However, I just don't get the logic in which you would only trade him for a handful of players.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't say or imply that in anyway , since when am I known for being unreasonable?

I don't see how he has done enough to be projected in the same group as Barkov/Barzal/Pettersson. He would need to take huge leaps over the next year or so to project anywhere close to those guys. That isn't a slight on Kotkaniemi , he is very talented and he will be a great piece for the Habs moving forward. However, I just don't get the logic in which you would only trade him for a handful of players.
Judging a 18 years old player on "what he has done" is a terrible way to judge potential, especially one playing third line with bad teammates and no PP time for 20 games.

Its also not debatable at all that he is a top 10, let alone top 15 prospect in the NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Kotkaniemi has the exact same pace as Barkov had in his rookie year.

MC94

May 13, 2018
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I wouldn't put any money on that if I were you. I get a feeling he may top off as a #2 center.
Feelings dont matter hes 18 anything can happen at this point, im sure everyone said the same thing that cobra did about Kotka as they did Galchenyuk during his rookie season, he will be elite... but he just isnt ill just play the wait and see card for anyone this age

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kotkaniemi has the exact same pace as Barkov had in his rookie year.

scoring seems to be inflated this year to the rule change to goalie equipment. At least it appears this way as I haven't looked it up, but as today, 20 players are over a 1.2 ppg, 55 players are currently on pace for a ppg, 125 players are at a .70 ppg or higher. Rantanen is on pace for 138 pts, MacKinnon 126, McDavid 117. Last year only 2 players had over 100 pts, only 24 players were at a ppg or higher.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
scoring seems to be inflated this year to the rule change to goalie equipment. At least it appears this way as I haven't looked it up, but as today, 20 players are over a 1.2 ppg, 55 players are currently on pace for a ppg, 125 players are at a .70 ppg or higher. Rantanen is on pace for 138 pts, MacKinnon 126, McDavid 117. Last year only 2 players had over 100 pts, only 24 players were at a ppg or higher.
Fair point, but I'd say scoring rates affect players that actually play minutes, playing 12 minutes a night usually means your not part of the data too much.

Couple that with Montreals terrible PP and I say Kotkaniemis production is on par with those other guys.

The scoring rate is up by about .20 per game from 13-14, that has been the 2nd lowest year in the past decade.

Read that the scoring rate going up may also be influenced by a huge talent infusion and stacked teams like the Leafs, too.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Feelings dont matter hes 18 anything can happen at this point, im sure everyone said the same thing that cobra did about Kotka as they did Galchenyuk during his rookie season, he will be elite... but he just isnt ill just play the wait and see card for anyone this age
Making it to the NHL at 18 does not prove he'll be an elite player. Mario Tremblay never became that elite player, Nugent Hopkins is another and there are dozen of other players.

Koko Puffs' skating is average at best and he has trouble getting his shot off and on those occasions he does get it off he misses the net. He is physically weak, easily pushed around but that could be rectified with age and then again it might not. He has other weaknesses but we won't go into them now. His strengths are his defensive positioning and his vision. But they are not elite. I don't see the elite set of skills that will make him into a #1 center let alone an elite one. But I do see the skill to make him a very good #2 center which is nothing to sneeze at, especial for a Habs team.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Making it to the NHL at 18 does not prove he'll be an elite player. Mario Tremblay never became that elite player, Nugent Hopkins is another and there are dozen of other players.

Koko Puffs' skating is average at best and he has trouble getting his shot off and on those occasions he does get it off he misses the net. He is physically weak, easily pushed around but that could be rectified with age and then again it might not. He has other weaknesses but we won't go into them now. His strengths are his defensive positioning and his vision. But they are not elite. I don't see the elite set of skills that will make him into a #1 center let alone an elite one. But I do see the skill to make him a very good #2 center which is nothing to sneeze at, especial for a Habs team.
Bet you a lot of people said the same about Barkov and his 0.44 PPG at 18 (KK is on pace for 0.48), or Ryan Johansen's 0.31 PPG at 19. A bum named Joe Thornton had 7 points his first NHL season.

Truth is, what KK is doing at such a young age is very impressive. I don't see how he tops out as a 2C when he's producing at a 40-point pace (not far from 2C production) as the youngest player in the league.

He can improve everything you named and has shown to improve very quickly overall as a player.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Most of the weaknesses you listed come with experience and age.
Strenght, Getting his shot off, creating chances

And RNH is not a bust.

Other like skating can be developped and improved. (see Tavares/Spezza both were considered as average skater when drafted.)

If he cannot improve in the next few years you might have a case but as of right now compares to other 18 years old who played in the NHL and became star he is not far off or even better than most. (Lecavalier, Thornton, Staal, Barkov, Seguin, Draisaitl)

MC94

May 13, 2018

6' 2" 185 Lbs at 18 years old being physically weak is not a very big concern as he fills out his frame in the next few years your setting yourself up not to be disapointed and with the habs first round history in past years I dont blame ya but I think your wrong about him being a #2 but again lets just wait and see

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Dahlin is Dahlin.

An asset just means something or someone of value.
I don't view Kotkaniemi as high as you do...
And dude...Rantanen..Kucherov..Draisalt...Scheifele..Pastrnak...You're crazy man loll
Kotkaniemi ain't no top 10 asset, be real for a sescond. Maybe one day you think he'll become one, I don't but okay, he's not one today.

Reactions: King In Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad