Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi- So You See That's Where The Trouble Began,That Smile,That Damned Smile Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It looks like his stick's too long.
Sticks too long, balance and skating is problematic, and weak physically. Hopefully he gets these things sorted out in the offseason, but I think we are seeing what he's gonna be for this year right now, and that's a pretty mediocre middle 6 player (which is still great considering his age and projected path).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Sticks too long, balance and skating is problematic, and weak physically. Hopefully he gets these things sorted out in the offseason, but I think we are seeing what he's gonna be for this year right now, and that's a pretty mediocre middle 6 player (which is still great considering his age and projected path).
Harsh. And here I was, thinking he was a #1 center, terribly misused by the coaching staff...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I honestly think that Danault should be mentoring Coconut on how to be #1 center in the NHL. If is hasn’t already happened? It should.

Reactions: Mrb1p

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
How is he a mediocre middle 6 player?

Kenny Agostino is a mediocre middle 6 player. KK is just a rookie adapting to playing center in the best league in the world...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
How is he a mediocre middle 6 player?

Kenny Agostino is a mediocre middle 6 player. KK is just a rookie adapting to playing center in the best league in the world...
Agostino is a mediocre bottom 6 player...

An average middle 6 player is still pretty good especially for a raw 18 year old.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Really. You believe yourself or you forget to read yourself? I think your head was stung by his stick.

Jul 6, 2016
Huh? That's pretty much the blind leading the blind on that one. What does Danault know about being a 1st line center?

His line is not the #1 line, but the #2 line.

Drouin-Domi-Shaw is the first line.

Jul 6, 2016
Yeah I know, that's what I was saying. Danault knows nothing about being a 1st line center because he isnt even a legit top 6 center.

Danault is not the one choosing his task and ice-time. When Kotkaniemi will have enough experienec, stamina, strength, he will be promoted to a top line and Danault will play on a 3rd. In the meantime, what is the point bringing back every single day that Danault is not a top-six. We all know that. And HE knows that too.

Reactions: HabsQC

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Huh? That's pretty much the blind leading the blind on that one. What does Danault know about being a 1st line center?
I’m just a f***ing fan. All I know is that Danault is our 1st line center, and within any organizational philosophy? This should be/and is a hallmark of player development. Wonder what Danault will tell him?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Danault is not the one choosing his task and ice-time. When Kotkaniemi will have enough experienec, stamina, strength, he will be promoted to a top line and Danault will play on a 3rd. In the meantime, what is the point bringing back every single day that Danault is not a top-six. We all know that. And HE knows that too.

Did you even read the post I was replying to? Honestly?

The poster I replied to said that Danault should be mentoring Kotkaniemi on how to be a 1C.

My question to him: What does Danault know about being a 1C?

Stating that Danault isnt a 1C, or even a legit 2C is completely relevant in this case. That is exactly the point of bringing up the fact that Danault isnt a top 6 center.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Stick length is a personal thing, so I won't get into that.

First thing is first, and it has been mentioned since he came here. He needs to grow into himself, then let's see where he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Did you even read the post I was replying to? Honestly?

The poster I replied to said that Danault should be mentoring Kotkaniemi on how to be a 1C.

My question to him: What does Danault know about being a 1C?

Stating that Danault isnt a 1C, or even a legit 2C is completely relevant in this case. That is exactly the point of bringing up the fact that Danault isnt a top 6 center.

Do the Habs have anybody who can mentor Kotkaniemi?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Do the Habs have anybody who can mentor Kotkaniemi?

It should be the coaching staff mentoring him. That's a huge part of their job, especially with an 18 year old aspiring top line center. Should he be 'mentored' by a 25 year old 3rd line center who is still learning himself? Probably not.

I don't really think its Danault's job to be mentoring Kotkaniemi anyway. That shouldn't be his responsibility or his concern at this point in his career. He should be concentrating on making himself a better player. Also, I simply don't really think he's good enough to be mentoring a guy like Kotkaniemi. He's a great third line center, don't get me wrong, but do I want Kotkaniemi taking pointers from Danault about life as a center in the offensive zone? No.

Should Danault be giving Kotka a few pointers on how to be better at faceoffs? Yeah, sure, just like any other teammate should be giving other teammates advice once and a while.

Reactions: DAChampion

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It should be the coaching staff mentoring him. That's a huge part of their job, especially with an 18 year old aspiring top line center. Should he be 'mentored' by a 25 year old 3rd line center who is still learning himself? Probably not.

I don't really think its Danault's job to be mentoring Kotkaniemi anyway. That shouldn't be his responsibility or his concern at this point in his career. He should be concentrating on making himself a better player. Also, I simply don't really think he's good enough to be mentoring a guy like Kotkaniemi. He's a great third line center, don't get me wrong, but do I want Kotkaniemi taking pointers from Danault about life as a center in the offensive zone? No.

Should Danault be giving Kotka a few pointers on how to be better at faceoffs? Yeah, sure, just like any other teammate should be giving other teammates advice once and a while.

KIRK. MULLER.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Little question for you guys here. Do you remember Kotka at the rookie camp always clapping his stick to get the puck? It's the first time I see him do it this year. It's strange how often he did it during the camp and totally gave that away afterwards. I get it, he's young and timid but still I feel it's an interesting observation.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I think that Muller is mentoring Kotkaniemi and that sounds appropriate, given the type of C that Mul;er was and the type of C that Kotkaniemi seems to be. Muller is always whispering in Kotkaniemi's ear on the bench and I don,t think,s because Muller is making a pass at the kid.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The guy falls down at least once every shift, it’s a sight to behold.

I agree, Kotkaniemi is regularly on his arse, but he still regularly gets the puck to an area where e can profit from it being there. One day, he'll end up playing with wingers that will be able to anticipate where he's about to send the puck.

He keeps sending it to open ice near a moving Hab. We should be capitalizing on this more often.

But, yeah, he looks fragile right now, playing against men and from what I've seen the word with him on the PP was to get up in his face as he loses those one on one battles more often than not.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I agree, Kotkaniemi is regularly on his arse, but he still regularly gets the puck to an area where e can profit from it being there. One day, he'll end up playing with wingers that will be able to anticipate where he's about to send the puck.

He keeps sending it to open ice near a moving Hab. We should be capitalizing on this more often.

But, yeah, he looks fragile right now, playing against men and from what I've seen the word with him on the PP was to get up in his face as he loses those one on one battles more often than not.
This is why I dont see how the Kopitar/Barkov comps make any sense. Kotka could be the weakest player in the NHL right now, and people think he'll become one of the strongest and a guy who wins with strength in this league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad