Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi- So You See That's Where The Trouble Began,That Smile,That Damned Smile Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If he put 30-40 points this season, that a big win for MTL. Next year, he is going to play top 6 role and put more points. He is pretty talented, great hands, great hockey sens, great shoot, good at defensive zone. No doubt, he is the right pick. He is a star in the making. But yeah, Tkachuk, Domi and Gallagher. it's beautiful too hehe! But between Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi, Kotkaniemi has more upside and he is a futur #1 center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91 and cphabs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If he put 30-40 points this season, that a big win for MTL. Next year, he is going to play top 6 role and put more points. He is pretty talented, great hands, great hockey sens, great shoot, good at defensive zone. No doubt, he is the right pick. He is a star in the making. But yeah, Tkachuck, Domi and Gallagher. it's beautiful too hehe! But between Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi, Kotkaniemi has more upside and he is a futur #1 center.

Well, who would have guessed Domi performing like this? He and Tkachuk may had looked pretty awesome, but I think had we drafted Tkachuk, expectations would had been him playing with Danault, or one of Peca/Shaw/DLR as his center.

Long term, I still feel Kotkaniemi was the better choice though. I think in terms of offense and defence, he will bring much more to the table than Tkachuk.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, who would have guessed Domi performing like this? He and Tkachuk may had looked pretty awesome, but I think had we drafted Tkachuk, expectations would had been him playing with Danault, or one of Peca/Shaw/DLR as his center.

Long term, I still feel Kotkaniemi was the better choice though. I think in terms of offense and defence, he will bring much more to the table than Tkachuk.

If the Habs had addressed the center position with bona fide top 6 talent prior to this past summer's draft, do you believe they would have still drafted Kotkaniemi? I think they may have been tempted by Tkachuk in that situation.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If the Habs had addressed the center position with bona fide top 6 talent prior to this past summer's draft, do you believe they would have still drafted Kotkaniemi? I think they may have been tempted by Tkachuk in that situation.

Well, I suppose that is possible. Let's just argue for a minute that the Patches trade happened as is and we got Suzuki before the draft, I could see us leaning towards Tkachuk then, or ugh... Zadina. Still think we may had picked up Kotkaniemi as I don't know what our scouting staff thinks of Suzuki as a center.

I mean, it depends on the center we got. Maybe had we got Ryan O'Reilly, chances of us not drafting Kotkaniemi would be higher I think.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin always said that centermen get drafted early. I dont think he was going to pick someone else.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, and in the last 2 drafts we draft the currency of the NHL, being centres and PMDs.

Then there is an argument to be made that they may have drafted for position. Of course, we don't have access to their rankings but it does evoke that. What are the odds Bergevin would land a center smack dab in the draft following 6 years of criticism that got progressively louder going into this summer's draft? I dunno, Kotkaniemi may well prove to be the BPA at the spot he was taken. It's still too early to make a definitive assessment.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well, I suppose that is possible. Let's just argue for a minute that the Patches trade happened as is and we got Suzuki before the draft, I could see us leaning towards Tkachuk then, or ugh... Zadina. Still think we may had picked up Kotkaniemi as I don't know what our scouting staff thinks of Suzuki as a center.

I mean, it depends on the center we got. Maybe had we got Ryan O'Reilly, chances of us not drafting Kotkaniemi would be higher I think.
well if the rumour was true, we would have used Poehling to get O'Reilly, so we would have still needed a center in the system to supplement that loss.

I think if it wasn't going to be Kotkaniemi for some reason (trade or whatever) we would have taken Tkachuk and tried him at center too. I have my doubts that they were super high on another winger (Zadina) in that 3rd overall spot unless Svechnikov had dropped.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It would've been stupid not to.

Kotkaniemi is a top 10 asset in the league, Tkachuk, is not. Centers are just worth way more than wingers, even if they could be close (Though I don't believe they will be.) in on-ice value.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Kotkaniemi is a top 10 asset in the league, Tkachuk, is not. Centers are just worth way more than wingers, even if they could be close (Though I don't believe they will be.) in on-ice value.
This organization seems smart to you?..

Curious..''what's a top 10 asset in the league''?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If Tkachuk isn't a top 10 asset, that's certainly not reflected in Ottawa's ranking of him. And Ottawa has a much better drafting record than the Habs, if I'm not mistaken.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Kotkaniemi is NOT a top-10 asset. Please. I mean I respect that you can believe it but there's no way you can support this unless cap hit is all that matters for you.

McDavid, Laine, Matthews, Barzal, Marner, Petersson, Barkov, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Point that's 10 and I could think of many others. That's without counting defensemen. Dahlin, S. Jones, McAvoy, Heiskanen, etc.

Kotkaniemi is Hischier-tier.

Edit : For now, obviously. If he shows he's a top-liner at the level these guys showed maybe. Offer Kotkaniemi for any of these players and teams pass. Maybe Jones because CBJ is stacked at D but need a center.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I certainly think they would have taken Tkatchuk over Zadina.

Size is what we're lacking yet again and it doesn't really seem to come at the expense of skill in Tkatchuk's case.

Reactions: dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kotkaniemi is NOT a top-10 asset. Please. I mean I respect that you can believe it but there's no way you can support this unless cap hit is all that matters for you.

McDavid, Laine, Matthews, Barzal, Marner, Petersson, Barkov, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Point that's 10 and I could think of many others. That's without counting defensemen. Dahlin, S. Jones, McAvoy, Heiskanen, etc.

Kotkaniemi is Hischier-tier.

Edit : For now, obviously. If he shows he's a top-liner at the level these guys showed maybe. Offer Kotkaniemi for any of these players and teams pass. Maybe Jones because CBJ is stacked at D but need a center.
Theres only 5 players Id trade Kotkaniemi for without any doubt.
Dahlin, McDavid, Mack and Matthews.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I can appreciate your optimism MRB1p and I do like coconut. However I dont think he will be in the same bracket as those above.

MTL hasn't had a good track record of developing players in the last few years. Considering he is playing in the big club I guess we will have to wait and see.

Hopefully he turns out as good as you think..... Keep on smiling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad