Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VIII) - Pretty Mintniemi Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Some folks on this board have a tendency to forget that KK is the YOUNGEST player in the whole NHL this season... And even with his talent, he is NOT McDavid or Matthews caliber.
Hopefully we don't need to see his talent downgraded to 2nd/3rd line upside by same people who defended him entering NHL at 18 being fine because KK is a surefire stud.

Kinda lucky season is almost over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tighthead and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hopefully we don't need to see him talent downgraded to 2nd/3rd line upside by same people who defended him entering NHL at 18 being fine because KK is a surefire stud.

I hope I see it happen I love dumbasses being proven wrong.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
How about we start with 40 points? Something he was well on track for before they decided he was tired.

Fine, than can you tell me what 40 pts would do compare to the 34 he has for his devloppment, would it make him a better player in the future, what's the big fuss about it......would really like to understand the thinking behind that

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Hopefully we don't need to see his talent downgraded to 2nd/3rd line upside by same people who defended him entering NHL at 18 being fine because KK is a surefire stud.

KK has a lot of talent and potential but I think he is a couple years out from being a legit 1/2c. He is very young and I think with time he will get there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, thats revisionist history. Galchenyuk was thought of as a future two way 1C. The defensive concerns arose in his third year when he couldnt win a faceoff (who knows why, right) and lost his coverage once moved to the wing.

Yes, we all know what we wanted Galchenyuk to be in his 1st season. But how much center did he actual play in that shorten season?

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
With our system, he ends up being the guy on the wall already as a centre so I don't see this as the coaching staff putting KK in a bad situation. He could just as easily end up being the guy in the middle of the ice, distributing the puck on LW. Plus he played LW all year last year in a top professional league.

Weal is more capable of doing what they need a 3C to do right now. ie. Be great on faceoffs, be responsible in all zones, push the puck North, use your skating to create turnovers, have an impact on special teams.

And Kotkaniemi helps the team more than Peca or Deslaurier, whether he gets out there for 15 minutes or 7.

I like it.

Reactions: Deebs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
With our system, he ends up being the guy on the wall already as a centre so I don't see this as the coaching staff putting KK in a bad situation. He could just as easily end up being the guy in the middle of the ice, distributing the puck on LW. Plus he played LW all year last year in a top professional league.

Weal is more capable of doing what they need a 3C to do right now. ie. Be great on faceoffs, be responsible in all zones, push the puck North, use your skating to create turnovers, have an impact on special teams.

And Kotkaniemi helps the team more than Peca or Deslaurier, whether he gets out there for 15 minutes or 7.

I like it.
Getting our best players on the ice is what we're looking for at this critical time.

Let's go

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I like it.
Which is not commiting to develop a player. They'd rather Weal, a career AHL plays over Kotkaniemi. It's not like we had Danault at 3C, it's Weal and Thompson.

Reactions: Justin11 and cphabs

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Revisionist history. Galchenyuk had similar praise coming out of his firsy season.

The only revisionist history going on is in your posts

KK has not been playing as well lately, and as an 18 year old Julien decided at this moment to cut ice time and ultimately scratch him as well. However, he's played the majority of the season, had opportunities in all situations, and generally has done well. There's nothing to suggest they are going to ruin him, especially when they are making these decisions when there's 3 games left and playoffs are on the line. You play the players you feel will get you there. If KK isn't one of them at the moment so be it.

It’s about making the playoffs right now so KK’s development is taking a backseat for like 4 games. Who the **** cares. He played centre all year and he’ll play centre all next year and the year after, etc.

Exactly...

Who cares if hes 18. Being 18 doesnt stop Svechninov or Dahlin from being used as if they were impact players. The team is not willing to commit to developping him, or any other prospects.

Svechnikov and Dahlin weigh roughly 20 pounds more than Kotkaniemi. One is also a winger while the other is a premier D prospect that was going to play a full season on any team in the league, nevermind a lottery team.

I'm glad to see rational people in this thread, the MB fanboys in the Tampa pre game thread trying to justify Weal as a better player than Kotka and that he deserved to play over him were nauseating

Thinking everyone else who disagrees with you is irrational is a symptom of insanity

Last edited:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
It’s about making the playoffs right now so KK’s development is taking a backseat for like 4 games. Who the **** cares. He played centre all year and he’ll play centre all next year and the year after, etc.

Someone I think at the Athletic was writing about how universally, pro scouts and hockey people see Kotkaniemi as a future stud centre. Everyone sees it, that's pretty rare.

It's amazing he's been able to step in and play all year at centre. Such a demanding position, especially the way the game is played now.

Reactions: Victorius

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Someone I think at the Athletic was writing about how universally, pro scouts and hockey people see Kotkaniemi as a future stud centre. Everyone sees it, that's pretty rare.

It's amazing he's been able to step in and play all year at centre. Such a demanding position, especially the way the game is played now.

I agree. And he has hit a bit of a wall and that was expected. He’s not playing poorly, but he’s ineffective. Meanwhile there are 4 other effective centres.

Reactions: Victorius and RandR

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The only revisionist history going on is in your posts

KK has not been playing as well lately, and as an 18 year old Julien decided at this moment to cut ice time and ultimately scratch him as well. However, he's played the majority of the season, had opportunities in all situations, and generally has done well. There's nothing to suggest they are going to ruin him, especially when they are making these decisions when there's 3 games left and playoffs are on the line. You play the players you feel will get you there. If KK isn't one of them at the moment so be it.

Exactly...

Svechnikov and Dahlin weigh roughly 20 pounds more than Kotkaniemi. One is also a winger while the other is a premier D prospect that was going to play a full season on any team in the league, nevermind a lottery team.

Thinking everyone else who disagrees with you is irrational is a symptom of insanity

LOL

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Eh AG definitely had praise his first season. He also played some games at center and did not look bad at all. But since there was no camp and this was half a season they moved him on the wing. But at that time the plan was to have him as a center.

AG had 27 points in 48 games his first season playing mostly on a 3rd line.
Kotk has 34 points in 76 games.

People who are slightly worried are not wrong. And they certainly are not revisionist. CJ has a history of not working well with kids unless they are tailor made for his system.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree. And he has hit a bit of a wall and that was expected. He’s not playing poorly, but he’s ineffective. Meanwhile there are 4 other effective centres.
The entire team has hit a wall, including the coach.

I don't mind him play on the wing down the stretch here, the coach is trying to win games and right or wrong, he thinks hiding KK on the wing makes his team better (not sure I agree, but whatever). I don't get the impression that this is a long term strategy, so i'm fine with it.

I just hate reading that he's hit a wall, the only wall he's hit is the one CJ's put in front of him because the games have become more important and the coach wants to rely on players with experience.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

That's the problem with this fan base. Let's just do what has not been working for the last 25+ years.

Reactions: LaP

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Lol 76 games as a centre in the NHL when no one expected him to even stay. 1 game as a winger.

“OMG THEY ARE RUINING HIM”

Settle down and take a deep breath.
I'm nearly done. It's enoughly enough. I couldnt stand with these philosophical autodestructions. Without reacting... Don't change C to W is that simple?

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
It has nothing to do with the fanbase. And find me one team in the NHL that has ever not tried to make the play-offs if they have path there at the end of the season.

You obviously missed the point. But let me ask you this, after 79 games the team is currently fighting for PO spot (1 point out) KK played 76 of those games and all at center. Now, he is pushed to the wing, playing under 10 minutes for the likes of Weal and Thompson! why is that? and please do not tell me the kid hit a wall, I don't buy that.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Canes did not do a deadline move for a UFA vet. Svechnikov TOI has increased.

A couple of things:

1) Svechnikov is playing much better than Kotkaniemi right now. I love Kotka's game, but he's struggled hard since he was scratched the 1st time. Whether its a loss of confidence or him being tired, he isn't playing as well as he was or how well he will next season.

2) Canes fleeced Minny for Nino a month and a half before the deadline, who has been their best winger since getting there.

And what does not getting a vet have to do with trying to make the play-offs?

Like, are people upset that Bergevin traded Chaput for Weal? Weal has a better P/GP and P/60 with his new team than other deadline guys like Stone, Duchene, Dzingel and Nyquist.

Reactions: Astormynight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad