Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Impressive

[tweet]

It took me a while to figure out what was going on in that plot.

Basically, when Kotkaniemi is on the ice, opposing teams are less likely to shoot the puck from right in front of the goalie, which is where the blue is. They shoot from the corners, which is where the red is. In contrast, when he's not on the ice, opposing players seem to shoot more often (red colors) from right in front of the net.

That is a cool graphic, and shows how far hockey stats are advancing. On the other hand, is Julien not sheltering Kotkaniemi, and thus playing him against lesser players?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
That is a cool graphic, and shows how far hockey stats are advancing. On the other hand, is Julien not sheltering Kotkaniemi, and thus playing him against lesser players?

He was sheltered somewhat and it's normal, but last night he was up against Kessler who's known to be a pain in the ass to play against and a really good defensive center and Kotka's line destroyed their opposition the entire game!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He was sheltered somewhat and it's normal, but last night he was up against Kessler who's known to be a pain in the ass to play against and a really good defensive center and Kotka's line destroyed their opposition the entire game!

Yes, but I think that the graphic that was shown is for the average over the entire season. However, it will be fun to see if the graphic changes during the second half of the year.

ETA: I would also like to see the graphic for each of the Habs' four centres.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It took me a while to figure out what was going on in that plot.

Basically, when Kotkaniemi is on the ice, opposing teams are less likely to shoot the puck from right in front of the goalie, which is where the blue is. They shoot from the corners, which is where the red is. In contrast, when he's not on the ice, opposing players seem to shoot more often (red colors) from right in front of the net.

That he is as effective as this against 3rd and 2nd liners at just an 18 years old is still very impressive. You can easily imagine him translate this to higher degree against better players with time.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
A couple of things I noticed in the Ducks game like the previous couple of games. While he's skinny he doesn't shy away from battles in the crease. Looks like he's got some power forward mentality in there looking to come out. The other thing, when he pots a goal he doesn't go for a flashy individual celly, it's just (the smile and) a wide wingspan group hug... I love a fun celly as much as the next guy, but I kind of like his approach too, I could see it contributing something to the locker room atmosphere. (?)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
A couple of things I noticed in the Ducks game like the previous couple of games. While he's skinny he doesn't shy away from battles in the crease. Looks like he's got some power forward mentality in there looking to come out. The other thing, when he pots a goal he doesn't go for a flashy individual celly, it's just (the smile and) a wide wingspan group hug... I love a fun celly as much as the next guy, but I kind of like his approach too, I could see it contributing something to the locker room atmosphere. (?)
The whole skinny and weak stuff is a narrative that was born around here.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The whole skinny and weak stuff is a narrative that was born around here.
Fair enough, maybe "lanky" is more what I meant, tall frame not filled out yet. He is holding his own when he is wrestling and wrangling with the opposing players.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Fair enough, maybe "lanky" is more what I meant, tall frame not filled out yet. He is holding his own when he is wrestling and wrangling with the opposing players.

He managed to move Chara out of the way at 18 years old... I mean the kid is gonna be a beast in the future!

Reactions: Stubu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad