Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Injuries slowed down what may have been a Hall of Fame career for Saku Koivu...I still remember the game where Jeff Shantz took out his knee, he was never the same after that and suffered through many more knee injuries and of course illness.

Still turned out a half decent career though!

800+ points with little support for most of his career and tons of missed games. No doubt he'd have reached 1000 points healthy and with better wingers.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

This clip is from 1999-2000 season, we can see his acceleration was still world class. It was 3 seasons after his infamous knee injury in december 1996 in which he came back in February 1997. As much as I like Saku Koivu, I don't think he has HOF talent. His league leading in points for a brief period of 3 months from October to December is overblown. He's a 2nd line center in my books.

I have to ask, did you actually see Saku play?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

This clip is from 1999-2000 season, we can see his acceleration was still world class. It was 3 seasons after his infamous knee injury in december 1996 in which he came back in February 1997. As much as I like Saku Koivu, I don't think he has HOF talent. His league leading in points for a brief period of 3 months from October to December is overblown. He's a 2nd line center in my books.

of course it's overblown . If you're looking at his career stats , you'll see that Saku always starts season like a lion . After January , he was slowing down . It wasn't the injury , but his lack of physical force .

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
It wasn't that he was exhausted but it was that the pace of games that picked up and checking became tighter. He will still be a young 19 this year so patience is key as it might just be baby steps for a while until he starts putting on adult mass.

Both aren't mutually exclusive but yes I agree its also a reason why it was harder for him down the stretch

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Yup. All 14 years of it. He's not a HOF, not even close. He's a second line center.
Where in the world did you pull HOF from, the discussion is if he was a first line centre.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Where in the world did you pull HOF from, the discussion is if he was a first line centre.

:laugh: Just keep on walking. If you don't bother following the discussion, then why in the world are you quoting me for? See my initial post (#796) replying to post #788.

Last edited:

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Never was a fan of Koivu, the later years, but he was a true center....1-2, didn't matter, he was good. He never had a great support(I know Recchi) and that is the tell tail about koivu. HOF? In the end no but at the start of his carrer, the potential was their. Injuries took a tole on him and that first knee injury really took a lot of his jump.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEWQZFZPe6c

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
:laugh: Just keep on walking. If you don't bother following the discussion, then why in the world are you quoting me for? See my initial post (#796) replying to post #788.

You should follow your own advice. What was suggested is that injuries derailed what MAY HAVE BEEN a HOF career for Koivu. Nobody knows for sure what would have happened if not for his numerous, serious injuries and illness.

You're the one who gets his panties in a bunch trying to convince everyone Koivu hasn't had a HOF career... which is exactly what the post you're answering to implies.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Kotkaniemi is no a recreation of Jean Beliveau. . IMO Ryan Poehling is more valuable thnn K. Who knows how Suzuki will rank? The most important need is a placement for Mete, who is defensively. deficient and stoppeth none of three.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Kotkaniemi is no a recreation of Jean Beliveau. . IMO Ryan Poehling is more valuable thnn K. Who knows how Suzuki will rank? The most important need is a placement for Mete, who is defensively. deficient and stoppeth none of three.

You would have a much higher opinion of Kotkaniemi if he dominated in Finland or the CHL last season. How do you downgrade a kid after a 34 point performance while playing as an 18 year old in the NHL for an entire season.

I think both prospects are great but KK does look to potentially have a higher ceiling.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Never was a fan of Koivu, the later years, but he was a true center....1-2, didn't matter, he was good. He never had a great support(I know Recchi) and that is the tell tail about koivu. HOF? In the end no but at the start of his carrer, the potential was their. Injuries took a tole on him and that first knee injury really took a lot of his jump.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEWQZFZPe6c

scuse me

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

That's a lot of bad takes you managed to squeeze into one little post.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
If we compare their shots, Kotkaniemi's shot is without question superior. A 2x4 on the red line would have stopped most of Koivu's shots... the guy never lifted the puck it was so frustrating hahah...

Koivu's CHaracter made him stay a meaningful player for his entire stay here. Hopefully Jesperi will be as dedicated to the habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad