Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
All caused by me myself and I mostly

??? Did you purposefully bang your head against a wall? I have trouble understanding this post, but that's not unlike most of your other posts, so the problem must stem from me, I guess...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
??? Did you purposefully bang your head against a wall? I have trouble understanding this post, but that's not unlike most of your other posts, so the problem must stem from me, I guess...

Obviously if you try and infer those things for a statement like that you would have trouble understanding, but I guess thats just par for the course on HF.

Its mostly my fault because I had a bad habit of hitting people with my helmet to try and hurt them, because thats what I was thought.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Obviously if you try and infer those things for a statement like that you would have trouble understanding, but I guess thats just par for the course on HF.

Its mostly my fault because I had a bad habit of hitting people with my helmet to try and hurt them, because thats what I was thought.

Bad technique. I understand better. Thanks. Not entirely your fault, though, by the sounds of it. Bad coaching definitely can have serious ramifications.

With football, from experience, you can get a lot more injuries, as well, compared to Rugby, let's say, because the equipment tends to give a false sense of security.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bad technique. I understand better. Thanks. Not entirely your fault, though, by the sounds of it. Bad coaching definitely can have serious ramifications.

With football, from experience, you can get a lot more injuries, as well, compared to Rugby, let's say, because the equipment tends to give a false sense of security.
Yes, you do feel like like you are indestructible, up until you hit a guy and you realize it hurts just as much, if not more because no one ever slows down.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
You realize that's a double-edged argument. One can also say KK played only one season in the NHL and now his projections are that he's gonna be a 1C.

No not really , when a player gets drafted as high as KK was , the expections are that he's gonna play on a first line, we almost take it for granted. We are not talking about a late first round here , we are talking top 5 in a draft and yes fans can expect a top 5 to be a first line forward or top pair, in the case of a Dman.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and LaP

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
When are people gonna stop every freaking one to have the same development curve?? I just don't get how people can look at KK and not be satisfied with the way he played at an 18 yo in the best league in the world..
He's going to be a good player. He had a good year for an 18 year old. The question is whether or not he's going to be a great player. People have varying opinions on what he can be. It seems that on here, any opinion other than him becoming a ppg+ elite 1C gets attacked or labeled as "hate". The thing is, I've been reading this board long enough to know that the people who are singing these young kid's praises and pumping their tires over every little thing are usually the ones who are bashing them the loudest and saying it was a terrible pick a few years later when they don't live up to the lofty expectations they had. It happens a lot becuase most prospects don't become elite, that is just plain facts. So please, excuse those of us who have rational, realistic expectations of these kids.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
No not really , when a player gets drafted as high as KK was , the expections are that he's gonna play on a first line, we almost take it for granted. We are not talking about a late first round here , we are talking top 5 in a draft and yes fans can expect a top 5 to be a first line forward or top pair, in the case of a Dman.
I guess you forgot about Galchenyuk. Or his teammate who was drafted the same year, Yakupov. Expectations are one thing. Realizations are another.

You may want to rephrase or restate your post. You just admitted that your expectations are behind your judgment of KK. I don't think you meant to do that.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He's going to be a good player. He had a good year for an 18 year old. The question is whether or not he's going to be a great player. People have varying opinions on what he can be. It seems that on here, any opinion other than him becoming a ppg+ elite 1C gets attacked or labeled as "hate". The thing is, I've been reading this board long enough to know that the people who are singing these young kid's praises and pumping their tires over every little thing are usually the ones who are bashing them the loudest and saying it was a terrible pick a few years later when they don't live up to the lofty expectations they had. It happens a lot becuase most prospects don't become elite, that is just plain facts. So please, excuse those of us who have rational, realistic expectations of these kids.

Re-posted for emphasis!

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
There were flashes of physicality even this year. He surprised me with a couple of hits. Started to use his shot more and more and realistically should easily have had another 5G if not for hiting the post/amazing saves. Skates better than advertized, great attitude, great passer.

Diamond in the rough, but he was exhausted at the end of the year and was missing the jump he had in his legs early on. I'm really excited to see how "ready" he will be when he comes back.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There were flashes of physicality even this year. He surprised me with a couple of hits. Started to use his shot more and more and realistically should easily have had another 5G if not for hiting the post/amazing saves. Skates better than advertized, great attitude, great passer.

Diamond in the rough, but he was exhausted at the end of the year and was missing the jump he had in his legs early on. I'm really excited to see how "ready" he will be when he comes back.

It wasn't that he was exhausted but it was that the pace of games that picked up and checking became tighter. He will still be a young 19 this year so patience is key as it might just be baby steps for a while until he starts putting on adult mass.

Reactions: THE HOFF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Put up a poll but I doubt most envision that Kotkaniemi's ceiling is higher than a 65 to 70 pts two way center. Maybe @Mrb1p called PPG+ since he's pretty high on him but I haven't seen other people say that...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Put up a poll but I doubt most envision that Kotkaniemi's ceiling is higher than a 65 to 70 pts two way center. Maybe @Mrb1p called PPG+ since he's pretty high on him but I haven't seen other people say that...

I have Kotkaniemi's ceiling somewhere in the 60-80 range but it will take him a few years yet. I think he takes a step forward this coming season but not sure it's the jump we will want.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Young KK kind of reminds me of Mats Sundin. Hopefully he can fill out and be that hard, point a game, minute eating centre for us.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It wasn't that he was exhausted but it was that the pace of games that picked up and checking became tighter. He will still be a young 19 this year so patience is key as it might just be baby steps for a while until he starts putting on adult mass.
I thought it was less about him "looking exhausted" and more of CJ just wanting to use his veterans more as the games got more important.

When the Habs acquired Weal & Thompson at the deadline, it essentially gave CJ an "excuse" (not even saying he was wrong for doing so mind you) to use both of them and also use the convenient excuse that Kotkaniemi was tired.

Either way, I hope he gets a bit more responsibility this coming year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad