Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
CJ is the worse possible scenario for a rookie. He hates the kids, they suffer under him. Up by 5 goals against Detroit and he still sits the kid. I hate Claude.

He played his season high against detroit, 15:10, he was our 7th most used forward and and 2nd most used centre.

Reactions: Tyson

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He was 7th in terms of TOI for forwards in that game. That's pretty good
Yes and not even 2 min in 6 powerplay. Thats awful and most that 1min50sec-ish are 20-30sec powerplay reset in wich you have to regain control. He can play every LW-C-RW-LHD on the powerplay there 0 excuses and he is effective as hell on the PP

Reactions: Peanut

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
He'll be challenged just fine if he goes back to Liiga.
Jesperi's not only going in as a center this time but as the go-to guy on his team. Aside from international tournaments, he's never had the chance to be in that spot as he's always played a level above since he's 14. He'll be relied on heavily and in all situations. He'll have to deal with the expectations and responsibility for his line to make a difference whenever he's on the ice.

It's not like with Suzuki for example, who has already dominated and going back for a third season, against the same competition, in the same role, with much of the same expectations.

Last season he did really good as far as draft eligible and even D+1 standards are concerned. I'd like to see him be among the best relative to the league. And I don't mean just points, I mean scoring chances, dictating the pace and impacting the game on a greater scale - something I felt his skating last year kept him from doing on a more regular basis. Consider it a successful and valuable D+1 year if he shows all that.
I'd say if Laval has good coaching staff and at least decent team it would be better option than Finland. Get's to develop his game in NHL sized ice (even thought they're not much bigger here nowadays) and maybe get some more games later on the season if he starts dominating.

Assat Pori is a tirefire this year, and it is going backwards development-wise to return to the larger ice surface. It seems like his Dad/coach is ok with him playing in Laval after all, so if and when he is no longer developing and learning the right way in the NHL, I would send him to Laval rather than Finland.
His dad doesn't make the decisions as he's only the coach, but that's somewhat what he said last week. "We'll see what's best for Jesperi" or sth. Ässät would desperately need #1 C here, but maybe if there's some other good prospect whose development would benefit from playing with a bit more time and space around him AND would be willing to come here, maybe Ässät would be open for that option. They had a close relationship with Dallas some time ago and we had few players here (some didn't make an impact, but did clearly benefit as players)...

Is Assat really that much of a tirefire when I watched them they didn't look that bad just struggling on the PP there goalies were pretty bad. Is there any articles? i'm down to read.
Well yesterday they had their first regulation win this season, so they now have 2 wins in a row (OT win before that) :naughty: . Biggest issues have been with defensing systems I guess. Too easy to get open in the prime scoring areas. We'll see how they develop, I'm afraid that their confidence is still fragile and 1 or 2 goals against will result panic on ice.

I've read (somewhat) all posts here and there are good points from both "sides". But what hasn't been pointed out (or I havne't noticed) is that we don't know how JK handles struggles mentally. Does he want to learn and get over it or does he lose his confidence? And that's where the coaching staff also comes along; keeping an eye and judging his mindset and guiding him in the right direction. One big thing for Jesperi is to have his idol, who by the way has had his share of struggles down the road, to guide him. Armia was a sniper before draft and during the d+1 season he got way better with his two way game. And was a key piece in the championship run. He's also a good example how one can really **** up a good prospect. Buffalo really didn't handle that well. Luckily he was transferred and was able to change his style completely. But that's also one reason he's not the top 6 player at the moment. Back on topic, many young Finns have really benefited from playing back in FEL a tad longer, but I'm not sure about JK. The leaps he has taken past month are HUGE. Of course he can't keep THAT pace up, otherwise by Christmas he'd be better than McDavid :sarcasm:. And any development usually doesn't follow a linear path, there's some regressions on the way, but as long as he's going two or three steps forward and one back it's all good.

Edit: BTW I'm not taking the asset management into account at all, just speculating with different aspects of JK's development.

Reactions: muzion and Peanut

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I'd say if Laval has good coaching staff and at least decent team it would be better option than Finland. Get's to develop his game in NHL sized ice (even thought they're not much bigger here nowadays) and maybe get some more games later on the season if he starts dominating.

His dad doesn't make the decisions as he's only the coach, but that's somewhat what he said last week. "We'll see what's best for Jesperi" or sth. Ässät would desperately need #1 C here, but maybe if there's some other good prospect whose development would benefit from playing with a bit more time and space around him AND would be willing to come here, maybe Ässät would be open for that option. They had a close relationship with Dallas some time ago and we had few players here (some didn't make an impact, but did clearly benefit as players)...

Well yesterday they had their first regulation win this season, so they now have 2 wins in a row (OT win before that) :naughty: . Biggest issues have been with defensing systems I guess. Too easy to get open in the prime scoring areas. We'll see how they develop, I'm afraid that their confidence is still fragile and 1 or 2 goals against will result panic on ice.

I've read (somewhat) all posts here and there are good points from both "sides". But what hasn't been pointed out (or I havne't noticed) is that we don't know how JK handles struggles mentally. Does he want to learn and get over it or does he lose his confidence? And that's where the coaching staff also comes along; keeping an eye and judging his mindset and guiding him in the right direction. One big thing for Jesperi is to have his idol, who by the way has had his share of struggles down the road, to guide him. Armia was a sniper before draft and during the d+1 season he got way better with his two way game. And was a key piece in the championship run. He's also a good example how one can really **** up a good prospect. Buffalo really didn't handle that well. Luckily he was transferred and was able to change his style completely. But that's also one reason he's not the top 6 player at the moment. Back on topic, many young Finns have really benefited from playing back in FEL a tad longer, but I'm not sure about JK. The leaps he has taken past month are HUGE. Of course he can't keep THAT pace up, otherwise by Christmas he'd be better than McDavid :sarcasm:. And any development usually doesn't follow a linear path, there's some regressions on the way, but as long as he's going two or three steps forward and one back it's all good.

Edit: BTW I'm not taking the asset management into account at all, just speculating with different aspects of JK's development.

Thank you for the info much appreciated!

Reactions: Garbox

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is keeping up with the play, he is generating chances and is playing over 14 minutes a game. He is being properly developed. If he ends up stapled to the bench then I would consider sending him back to Finland. I don’t see that happening and I predict he is here all season.

Reactions: LaP

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
After what happened to Galchenyuk, and you can look at Seguin in Boston under CJ as well, I wouldn't risk it.

The extra season in Europe didn't seem to hurt Petterson's development at all.

Kotkaniemi is showing a level of maturity that Galchenyuk didn't have. And he's defensively responsible, something that is always a hurdle for rookie players.

I too like the idea of bringing along an 18 year old slowly, however, this one appears to be exceptional and should be judged on his own merits.

Sportsnet commentator and ex-GM Doug McLean had nothing but superlatives about Kotkaniemi, saying that his IQ is incredible and that he makes plays that 10-year NHL veterans, don't. McLean says that Kotkaniemi will be a superstar: Un ancien DG se prononce sur le futur de Jesperi Kotkaniemi!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That quote doesn't instill much confidence. I'd much rather hear Julien say that Kotkaniemi will have every opportunity, but they'll do whatever is best for his development.

This is just more of the same delusional, instant gratification, win now philosophy at the expense of development that has haunted the team under Bergevin.

I don't know that Kotkaniemi will be a difference-maker this year but the foundation is there. I'm encouraged by the fact of the likes of Ducharme being there for him.

Sure, the Habs have a need at center but this player is cut from a different cloth. There is a reason top 3 overall picks generally are able to graduate to the NHL at their first opportunity.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think this is Julien's system. Nothing in his history shows that he can deviate from the coaching style he's adhered to forever. This totally looks to me like Ducharme having influence, which is fine with me, by the way.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm thrilled and surprised to see a more modern style of hockey. I just don't see this current success continuing all season. I also like some of the additions to the roster, though.

Mete was quoted today about the Habs's system and he says it's very close to what Ducharme used in the WJC last year. So yes, Ducharme is having a huge impact.

Reactions: groovejuice

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Kotkaniemi is showing a level of maturity that Galchenyuk didn't have. And he's defensively responsible, something that is always a hurdle for rookie players.

I too like the idea of bringing along an 18 year old slowly, however, this one appears to be exceptional and should be judged on his own merits.

Sportsnet commentator and ex-GM Doug McLean had nothing but superlatives about Kotkaniemi, saying that his IQ is incredible and that he makes plays that 10-year NHL veterans, don't. McLean says that Kotkaniemi will be a superstar: Un ancien DG se prononce sur le futur de Jesperi Kotkaniemi!

I agree - I'm just hoping to see a game where we can get flashes of what Kotkaniemi can be, on an offensive level. He's trying things it will be cool to see (hopefully) a game where things work out for him.

Reactions: groovejuice

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

This is why it frustrates me so to see him on a third line with Armia and with no 1st PP time. He is ready to dominate right now but we are playing Danault at 1C instead.. He doesn’t need developing, he already thinks the game like a superstar.

Reactions: Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is keeping up with the play, he is generating chances and is playing over 14 minutes a game. He is being properly developed. If he ends up stapled to the bench then I would consider sending him back to Finland. I don’t see that happening and I predict he is here all season.
he's not creating much the last few games.

could be injured, sick, tired, etc we'll see.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
He still has the 6th most PP TOI/GP for the rookies in the entire league, I guess he's ruined because he's not playing as much as Petterson who's been insane before the concussion and Svechnikov who's not even playing as a center.

You can't remove ice-time from veteran after only 5 games, he's got to earn the respect from his teammate also. The ice-time will come, chill people.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He still has the 6th most PP TOI/GP for the rookies in the entire league, I guess he's ruined because he's not playing as much as Petterson who's been insane before the concussion and Svechnikov who's not even playing as a center.

You can't remove ice-time from veteran after only 5 games, he's got to earn the respect from his teammate also. The ice-time will come, chill people.
Svechnikov is not a center he’s a winger.

He should be 1st in rookie ice time, no good reason why he isn’t or very close to it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You haven’t watched the games, you would see that his line mates can’t keep up with him, and he gets no 1st PP time.
that's the new thing now ?

someone had a different point of view, "you havent watch the games" ? really ?

look like you just see what you want to see.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Yeah well Vinnie L had 28 points his first year with the Bolts, then 67, down to 51 3rd year and 37 points his 4th year. He would have been chased out of town before finishing year 4 if we had drafted him.

Reactions: ChikN

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
I think the reason we all get so worked up and want any rookie who shows promise to get more ice time and 1st pp etc is because it has been so long since we had that game breaking talent. Any player who comes along that shows signs of stardom we want him to be immediately put into that crosby/mcdavid/kopitar role with the hopes he can be that star player we have been craving for a long time now.

I had kk sent back before I even seen him play a preseason game but he has been progressing great IMO so i would keep him on the team and play him as they have been (sheltered/14-15 mins/some pp time) as he seems to be handling it quite well. Ill keep my expectations on him this season low but watching him play at just 18 he could have a great future. He would learn more in his current role on the team than he would playing anywhere else IMO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
His line really can't keep the possession of the puck, it' 1 pass and gone.

He needs someone on his line who can actually do something with the puck right now.

Reactions: HOPE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad