Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
@Frank Drebin to answer your question, Elias Pettersson did not attend Vancouver's camp last year. They were all in on him taking another year to develop. Hence why I supported taking the same route with Kotkaniemi. Vancouver appears to be taking the same route with Quinn Hughes.
Pettersson was 160lbs last year, he needed the year to add mass. J2K is 25lbs heavier than Pettersson was. While he still has room to grow, he can hang in the league at 185lbs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Honestly, my interest in this season was hanging by a thread. And then Kotkaniemi started to do his thing and I haven't been able to let go. I want to see what becomes of him. So good to finally have a high IQ player with 1C upside.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
It's nice to actually draft a centre since a long time, a legitimate centre that could possibly be a Barkov like or Kopitar like, but what I mostly saw from him was more like Malkin version, which is nice. Can't wait to see what other future centres will be drafted

Reactions: Frank Drebin

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pettersson was 160lbs last year, he needed the year to add mass. J2K is 25lbs heavier than Pettersson was. While he still has room to grow, he can hang in the league at 185lbs.

Also Pettersen was a #5 pick in a weaker draft year; there was no Rasmus Dahlin at the top.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can't have enough elite centers. I like Tampa's approach -- when you can't fit them on your top line, play them on the wing. You can always play a center on the wing but not likely vice versa.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Also Pettersen was a #5 pick in a weaker draft year; there was no Rasmus Dahlin at the top.
Petterson was/is a more special talent than J2k, and that’s no knock on Kotka...

He just happened to be a twig. Pettersson to me is just a different type of prospect and not one we should be looking at as some sort of blueprint. The guy just needed and needs to gain weight.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Would have been interesting to attach a poll to this new Kotkaniemi thread.

I'm curious to get a vote on whether Kotkaniemi should stay with the Habs after the 9 games or be returned to Finland, regardless of how well he performs.

Can we have one of the mods do this? Let's keep it simple. A or B.

Of course, some people are going to say "let's see what happens after the 9 games", but fundamentally, you'll still have the same concerns about the player or you won't. Some won't care if he has 9 good games -- there will be injury concerns, development strategies, off ice training imperatives, bulking up etc. vs. gaining the experience of a smaller ice surface and getting exposed to an 82 game grind.

Any mod available to do this please?

Suggested question:

After Kotkaniemi completes his first 9 NHL games with the Habs, what should happen:

1. Kotkaniemi should stay with the Habs.
2. Kotkaniemi should back to Finland.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
@Frank Drebin to answer your question, Elias Pettersson did not attend Vancouver's camp last year. They were all in on him taking another year to develop. Hence why I supported taking the same route with Kotkaniemi. Vancouver appears to be taking the same route with Quinn Hughes.
Thanks. After seeing what you see in the kid in preseason, has you opinion changed? He looks ready, which is extremely exciting considering his age

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Would have been interesting to attach a poll to this new Kotkaniemi thread.

I'm curious to get a vote on whether Kotkaniemi should stay with the Habs after the 9 games or be returned to Finland, regardless of how well he performs.

Can we have one of the mods do this? Let's keep it simple. A or B.

Of course, some people are going to say "let's see what happens after the 9 games", but fundamentally, you'll still have the same concerns about the player or you won't. Some won't care if he has 9 good games -- there will be injury concerns, development strategies, off ice training imperatives, bulking up etc. vs. gaining the experience of a smaller ice surface and getting exposed to an 82 game grind.

Any mod available to do this please?

Suggested question:

After Kotkaniemi completes his first 9 NHL games with the Habs, what should happen:

1. Kotkaniemi should stay with the Habs.
2. Kotkaniemi should back to Finland.
Good question. Unless he looks totally out of place, and i don't think he will, he should stay in a somewhat sheltered role.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Somehow, last year, a comparison or link was made between Henrik Borgström and Jesperi Kotkaniemi, to the point where it was suggested that we might trade the 3rd overall pick for Borgström straight up, as he was considered a greater talent than Jesperi. Just as a reminder, at the same point in their careers, Henrik was just playing his first Finnish Jr A games, while Jesperi cracked an NHL roster.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Honestly, my interest in this season was hanging by a thread. And then Kotkaniemi started to do his thing and I haven't been able to let go. I want to see what becomes of him. So good to finally have a high IQ player with 1C upside.
Agree. Things are looking ok for the future. I think MB even sees the potential in young Bobby.

Unless of course he trades him for Sergachev @Habs

Reactions: Habs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks. After seeing what you see in the kid in preseason, has you opinion changed? He looks ready, which is extremely exciting considering his age

Yes, my opinion has changed. As others can tell you, I was vehemently against even inviting him to camp. He's already made me admit that I was wrong on that point. I'm now not against him playing in Montreal, but he has to show that he belongs in no uncertain terms in these 9 games. If there's any doubt, I'd rather send him back to Finland.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Or, how about this question: does anyone think that Jesperi would be held pointless in the 2020 WJC were he not playing for the Montreal Canadiens (as he's going to be)?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Those are not Vancouver's choices. Pettersson himself declined an ELC offer last year because he felt he needed to stay one more year in Sweden, while Hughes is committed to his school and play in the NCAA.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I am tired of the What Ifs.

Galchenyuk was drafted to be our 1C but never was due to a lack if overall game. Now maybe the guy just doesnt have it in him to be a C, no matter what. But, What If he had been returned to junior and told if he wants to be a C in the NHL he has to greatly improve his all around game ?

DLR was taken with the idea he had some offensive ability, and Big Mac had a decent wrister to use from the slot area. Now maybe no matter what, what you see is what you get and could have possibly gotten. Aside from AHL coaching, when these guys ever put together a good streak in the AHL, they got brought up, and then fell off a cliff each time. What If, they had just been left alone ?

Hudon isnt some top talent, but he certainly suffered no harm being left in the AHL for 3 years.

So if Kotkaniemi does well from the get go , great. But 2 years from now I do not want to be thinking or reading about why Kotkaniemi didnt reach his potential, and maybe the smart move would gave been to send him to Liiga.

I do not What Ifs with this kid. Send him to Finland.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Good question. Unless he looks totally out of place, and i don't think he will, he should stay in a somewhat sheltered role.
The challenge is going to be to the coaching staff to try to figure out ways to get him enough ice time...while at the same time, not exposing him to too many "harsh conditions".

And most importantly, coaching staff is going to have to live with mistakes.

If they're not prepared to do that- then this is a charade, not an actual trial.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Yeah but Kotkaniemi is also taller and shown he falls down a lot during physical confrontations. I don't even think Pettersson is all that bigger from last year either.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think he's here to stay for the whole season barring some major struggling but I don't think he'll look out of place at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad