Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
We have different evaluations of his play so far.

Not saying you're wrong but I have a different perspective.

Not saying he will but if for whatever reason he ends up being just another Eller, would this be a development fail or the player just never had the offensive ability?

The way I see it, people can't say he didn't have offensive ability if they didn't think he needed time to actually develop it.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think we can both agree though that his play level doesn't scream we must keep him”.
His play, to me, says he deserves to stay...

For now.

Re-evaluate game to game.

Tonight, did a lot of good things...could have easily scored, didn't make mistakes defensively.

He's not wowing anyone...but he also doesn't look like a 18yr old rookie. He's mature, composed, poised, doesn't ever look rattled.

This is good.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It seems obvious that Armia and Kotkaniemi don't play the same way as the rest of the team. All other players are about skating hard and quick passes and go forward. Meanwhile Armia and Kotkaniemi prefer to slow down the play and hold the puck.

That being said Kotkaniemi show flashes of brillance and it's quite obvious he is not fully there yet as he seems overwhelmed by the speed.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
His play, to me, says he deserves to stay...

For now.

Re-evaluate game to game.

Tonight, did a lot of good things...could have easily scored, didn't make mistakes defensively.

He's not wowing anyone...but he also doesn't look like a 18yr old rookie. He's mature, composed, poised, doesn't ever look rattled.

This is good.
I rather see him get 18min per game on top line in the A.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I rather see him get 18min per game on top line in the A.

I'd like to see him without Armia first.

Drouin Kotkaniemi Domi

Drouin Kotkaniemi Hudon

Byron Kotkaniemi Hudon

Byron Kotkaniemi Lehkonen

Are some combos I'd like to see before sending him down.

Reactions: savard95

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I liked his play tonight, better than last game against Detroit. He controlled the play better and was sound defensively. That's what the coaching staff seems to ask him to do. And he had a glorious chance, that he created by himself.

TBH, his linemates were dreadful tonight. Specially in the D-Zone.

I undertand that he plays on the third line.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sending herewith my back to Finland is the obvious move imo.

AHL would be #2

NHL is not where he belongs unless we're going to give him the linemates and ice time to compete in a top 6 role...

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I think he's playing safe and playing not to make mistakes at this early stage of his career.As he starts to get more comfortable in the league, we'll slowly start seeing what he's capable of.We're getting brief flashes of this already.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think he's playing safe and playing not to make mistakes at this early stage of his career.As he starts to get more comfortable in the league, we'll slowly start seeing what he's capable of.We're getting brief flashes of this already.
Does he learn much by playing it safe? Production would be nice and in AHL he could try to do it in peace.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I thought tonights showing bodes well for him sticking around. Last couple before he was pretty invisible and wasn't taking chances.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I dont think hes there yet. He isnt costing us but he isnt producimg either.

Thing is, his issue is the speed the game is being played at but going to Laval or even worse,Finland,ismt going to help that.

He needs to stick around to get used to it

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Hopefully Julien realizes that Armia shouldn't be his linemate by the time he is 25. This is getting hard to watch.
Julien is pretty slow to make changes usually, and he is 4-1-1 this season so far so... expect this line to stay the same for a while (although new asst coach may have an influence?)

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I'd like to see him without Armia first.

Drouin Kotkaniemi Domi

Drouin Kotkaniemi Hudon

Byron Kotkaniemi Hudon

Byron Kotkaniemi Lehkonen

Are some combos I'd like to see before sending him down.

Pretty hard to break Danault or Domi's line right now, i'm sure the kid will have his chance.....long season, injury, slump....line changes all the time, but dont expect any changes for the next game that's for sure, and he is here to stay, just too good already

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
His line really can't keep the possession of the puck, it' 1 pass and gone.

He needs someone on his line who can actually do something with the puck right now.

I know. What's up with Armia? This is not what he used to show in Jets. He wasn't producing, but they usually had the possession in the opponent's zone. Lowry?

Kotkaniemi looked best of his line, was able to create something and gave some good passes to get the puck out of the crowd. That 2 on 1 though... it was in yesterdays news that he'll try that pass there.

And when he was on the PP with that mixed combo, some magig happened. Goal obviously, but the whole system with that group was better, they were moving the puck well and so on.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I liked it when he was given PP time and did absolutely nothing. He's being used very well so far. As long as we are above average it's a better experience for him than playing in Laval or his team in Finland.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think the answer is blatantly obvious. Send him to Laval asap and let him figure out how to adapt his game to North American ice. If/when he turns the corner he still has a few games at the NHL level to try to implement his adaptations before a decision has to be made about keeping him and burning a year of his ELC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad