Not open for further replies.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Mamma mia! Best hands in the draft!
17c.png

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think Kotka decided, or even better planned, to use the defender as a screen. I know they are still kids out there, but they are the best of the best... I don’t care if people laugh at this, but the kid reminds me a lot of Mario Lemuix. Especially on the left side.

God if only. You'd think we'd get lucky once in my life time and hit big. I can't believe I've never seen a proper elite forward in my whole time of watching the Habs. Kovalev came close. In 07-08 he was.

Kotka's vision is pretty special. The skating is getting there. I've been burned enough times to anoint him even as a #1C in the making so I'm going on the cautious side. Still absolutely love what I see.

Reactions: cphabs and jaffy27

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
lol why can't no one anwser, what was the match today? thought he was suppose to play his preseason game??

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
yeah I think the same went for me. I was on the Zadina train up until a few days before the draft. It may have been seeing his goals. It's obviously not Zadina's shot but I was pretty impressed with it espeically since it wasn't his bread and butter. Love this pick more and more.

I was like you, but the thing about Zadina is he will either be super successful, or be figured out and shut down in the NHL. I saw some video analytics online of Zadina, and what I remarked was that he score a lot of goals, from just about the sane place all the time. His setup and placement seemed great, but his diversity of shot did not blow me away. I think he will probably be a very good player, but I also see more versatility and diversity with JK. The video analytics showed a much more diverse player, who could control a game. I hope we have a good one, and I think that he has a good chance to fulfill that hope. Will he be elite ... only time will tell

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Awesome play by play lol

But honestly, I'm just not seeing three skating "issues".

The more I see him, the more I think its nitpicking.

When you're drafted that high, it's going to happen. You have to nitpick at prospects because you'd be doing nothing but praising in his case :p.

On a serious note, his skating has vastly improved in the last 8 months. Not concerned at all. He looks fast, and the fact that he can get faster should put all our minds at ease.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The most exciting part for me about watching him play is that if he can progress his skill set and play like that in the NHL, which it looks like he can, he had the potential to be not just a top line center but a star center.

His hands, vision and IQ seem to already be elite. If he can tighten up his bambi like skating stride which he should be able to do with a decent skating coach, he can be a top 10 center IMO. If his skating was already elite before the draft, he may have gone before Svetchnikov.

Reactions: cphabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The most exciting part for me about watching him play is that if he can progress his skill set and play like that in the NHL, which it looks like he can, he had the potential to be not just a top line center but a star center.

His hands, vision and IQ seem to already be elite. If he can tighten up his bambi like skating stride which he should be able to do with a decent skating coach, he can be a top 10 center IMO. If his skating was already elite before the draft, he may have gone before Svetchnikov.
No Svechnikov is an entirely different animal.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No Svechnikov is an entirely different animal.

Because he’s a complete package. Imagine being that AND a center.

Just saying that Kotkaniemi went under the radar and being picked 3rd isn’t at all as controversial as some people made it out to be. Looks like Timmins did a great job. Let’s hope his development isn’t thwarted like so many prospects before him. Thank God for Bouchard and Ducharme being in the organization now. Hope that can do a better job.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
God if only. You'd think we'd get lucky once in my life time and hit big. I can't believe I've never seen a proper elite forward in my whole time of watching the Habs. Kovalev came close. In 07-08 he was.

Kotka's vision is pretty special. The skating is getting there. I've been burned enough times to anoint him even as a #1C in the making so I'm going on the cautious side. Still absolutely love what I see.
Agreed. He looks good : )

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really good article analyzing Kotkaniemi’s skating. A work in progress for sure, but he’s not really as bad as haters make it out to be.

Analyzing Jesperi Kotkaniemi’s skating ability

not a hater, but it depends on when people watched him skate cause his skating from a year ago looks terrible but I didn't know he was coming off a knee injury. But he still looks a bit odd when skating.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
not a hater, but it depends on when people watched him skate cause his skating from a year ago looks terrible but I didn't know he was coming off a knee injury. But he still looks a bit odd when skating.

He could benefit from straightening his back and extending his legs more. Key thing though is he still has more he can improve on, but he also hasn't stagnated.

Reactions: Andrei79

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'm not concerned about Kotkaniemi's skating. He could definitely benefit from improving some technical aspects of his skating, but he has good speed. I don't see his skating as being a major roadblock for him. He can, and is, improving that aspect of his game. Personally, I've been finding lately that if a player's skating isnt elite or near flawless, then they automatically have 'skating issues'. Lots of these 'issues' are really way overblown.

As long as a player has good speed and isnt slow as balls, I'm not really as concerned about the technical aspects of their skating. That can be improved upon.

Reactions: ottawa and jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Thanks, AM.

Kind of an unspectacular game from Kotka but man does he have hands. Better than I thought. Tried to do a bit much and lost the puck a bunch. A bit sloppy at times. The goal was a beaut. Should've probably went to his backhand and tried far side instead on the 'Poehling' attempt. A few nice passes. Moving well. When he's on he looks like a puck possession beast. For a guy with his IQ he was a bit careless with the puck at times. Still made some nice quick decisions with the puck there.

It's cliche to say but it's really all about how much better he can be. Great tools. Tool box is there. He could potentially be an elite C. He'll have to keep improving at a great rate though. As is, he looks like a sure fire #2/borderline #1C imo. There's room for more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad