Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Do you think he could develop in the AHL next year? Forgive the excitement and thank you for your time!

For me, personally, I wouldn't be upset if he ends up in Laval. My first choice is he returns to Liiga. But I won't make a big stink if he ends up in the AHL.

I said it in the previous JK thread that one of the TSN690 morning guys said that they spoke to someone within the organization and they told him they want to be patient with JK and the impression he got was that they will return him to Finland.

Reactions: jaffy27 and cphabs

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
For me, personally, I wouldn't be upset if he ends up in Laval. My first choice is he returns to Liiga. But I won't make a big stink if he ends up in the AHL.

I said it in the previous JK thread that one of the TSN690 morning guys said that they spoke to someone within the organization and they told him they want to be patient with JK and the impression he got was that they will return him to Finland.

i agree, people have to get out of their mind that Laval is a disaster for prospects, it is a whole new coaching staff, and one of the best young developing coaches to boot

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
IMO, the best approach is to let Kotkaniemi play another year in Finland. Then next year when both him and Poehling turn pro, have them start in the AHL and call whoever is performing better out of the two after Christmas.
Peohling will join the team after his season finish this year... at least thats my prediction

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I second your opinion!!!

Reactions: DAChampion

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Poehling can forego the rest of his college years to turn pro. But he can still choose to return to St. Cloud next year.
I knew about that but I thought I heard his intention was to graduate. No guarantee he will have a career in the nhl, so it’s best to finish school. I know he’s good, but you never know.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I knew about that but I thought I heard his intention was to graduate. No guarantee he will have a career in the nhl, so it’s best to finish school. I know he’s good, but you never know.
Pretty sure you can always return and finish it later on once you've started your studies, that was one of the big talking points for Leblanc back in his Harvard days.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
He basically just turned 18. As a comparison, Austin Matthews was almost a full year older when he got drafted. As a 18 year-old, AM played center in the Swiss league. I don't see anything wrong with JK staying and learning in Finland, where he is comfortable. He will move from the wing to center this year on his team, play a ton of minutes, get faster, stronger and better. Based on his interviews, he seems to prefer staying in Finland one more year, so it's obvious to me that this is what we should do. This kid has a good head on his shoulder, that's easy to see. He's not Galchenyuk or Beaulieu in that regard. I think we can trust that he knows what's best for him. Montreal will be a dumpster fire this year. I want him to be away from it as much as possible. The pressure to promote him from the AHL will be tremendous if he does remotely well. Do you want him to be involved with this, to already have to face the irrational public pressure and expectations of Montreal, to play on a terrible team with no appropriate management leadership and direction? All of us that care about the team and JK's future should push for him to stay in Finland.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So far, all he's said is that the NHL isn't a development league, so he will decide to go pro when he feels he's ready. I don't recall him saying that he wants to finish school before going pro.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
While I'm expecting at least a year with Assat, really got my fingers crossed that he has a monster camp. I know he's "young" but he's a 3rd overall pick coming from a men's league. He shouldn't appear far away at all...

Foreign words can make me giggle. One of the few ties left to my early childhood. Assat!

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
i agree, people have to get out of their mind that Laval is a disaster for prospects, it is a whole new coaching staff, and one of the best young developing coaches to boot

You forgot, also new arena, new fanbase close to the city of Montreal... I haven't looked into it but I would imagineiit has to be up in it he echelon of best places to develop now. A call up means you cross the street to the bell (figure of speech) no bus no plane no hotel.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You forgot, also new arena, new fanbase close to the city of Montreal... I haven't looked into it but I would imagineiit has to be up in it he echelon of best places to develop now. A call up means you cross the street to the bell (figure of speech) no bus no plane no hotel.
No planes in Liiga either. The longest bus ride is five hour, much less than AHL.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
One thing to add though, it is encouraging to see his skating has already showed signs of improvement just over the summer. It leaves us more hopeful then the time's we've seen guys with suspect skating barely improve over time (White, McCarron, Gregoire, etc).

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Stop with the sophist dichotomies.

Kotkaniemi should be allowed to drvedevat an ideal pace rwgardlessof who the coach and GM are.

However, the toxic situation in Montreal increases the case against having Kotkaniemi make the Habs this year or next.
Big night out da?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad